“Great Location to Washington”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oxford, MS
“Great Location to Washington”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel while on a recent trip to DC. Location is perfect, just minutes from National Airport and the hotel has a free shuttle. Also only about 2 blocks from a Metro stop which gives you easy access to downtown Washington. The shuttle will also give you a ride to the Metro. Walking distance to several great restaurants on 23rd Street and a nearby mall. Rooms were clean and well maintained. Maid service was outstanding with our maid going out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed. Full hot breakfast was ready each morning. Inside pool which we did not use. Only issue we had was the lunch and dinner service seemed a little disorganized. Overall great value, would highly recommend.

Room Tip: There are no views from any rooms, you're staying here just for the location. About 12 stories a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mart38655
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your review. We are lucky to be in a location that is so convenient to so much and I am glad this worked well for your stay. Your comments on the suitekeeper are very much appreciated as they work so hard to offer this same experience to all of our guests.

While I am glad you had a fantastic overall experience, I am sorry that the service for lunch and dinner was not up to your expectations. I hope you will provide me more details so we can properly follow up on this.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you return soon. We will work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

jennifer.geiger@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Hebrew first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay here. It was in walking distance to the metro train station and I was able to travel to DC, Maryland and Virginia. The metro station had places to eat and shop. The hotel offered rides to the metro stations and local areas. The hotel was very clean and the food was delicious, fresh and hot. The meals on the menu was reasonably priced and very good and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel rooms was a nice size, clean and neat. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a good view of inside of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank DrAlias
Thank you for choosing to post your review. Our location allows us to offer the DC experience without the DC prices. I am glad you found it easy to get around using our hotel as a home base. It is nice to read that you had such a positive experience.

Your comments on your Crystal Grill dining experience are appreciated. While so most guests take advantage of the complimentary breakfast, some forget we also offer a restaurant for lunch and dinner too. It is nice to read you enjoyed your meal.

Thank you again for your review and for your recommendation. We will work just as hard to offer a fantastic stay experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

El Paso, TX
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Great value, location and accomodations! Short walk to metro and they offer shuttle service if you would rather ride. Near shopping and restaurants to include Costco and a large mall. Room very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is the Embassy Suites quality - nice. Make sure to get the cook to order option. Evening reception was great. Limited snacks but good wine, beer and drinks. They had different types snacks each evening. Restaurant has limited menu, but we had their evening special of a burger and salmon. Both were delicious and great value. Glad we chose to eat in. Shuttle to and from airport is a plus. We plan on returning. We got a great deal on the rate and when you factor in breakfast and evening drinks -made for an even better deal. Great for families with children or if you are solo or a couple. Construction made the Business Center almost non-existant. They do have two computers in the lobby with a printer.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Yes, many of our guests really enjoy the option of walking to the Metro Station or enjoying a complimentary shuttle ride. We are fortunate to be in a location so close to the Metro, shops, and dining options. I am glad you found the location to be convenient for your needs.

It is nice to read that you took advantage of the complimentary amenities that set the Embassy Suites apart from other hotels and ensure there is great value in staying at an Embassy Suites Hotel. You are absolutely correct that when comparing another hotel rate to the rate offered by Embassy Suites the costs of breakfast, evening reception, and suite upgrade should be added to the other hotel's rate to get a fair comparison.

We look forward to reopening our business center soon, but we are happy to provide a temporary set up of computers in the lobby for our guests to use. Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. We will work just as hard to offer a fantastic stay experience. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Hampton, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2014

about three city blocks to the Metro stop to get into DC. the hotel offers shuttle to and from airport and a number of restaurants in the area free of charge. The City Tour bus picks you up at the front door. the hotel lobby is under construction for the better but it was very dysfunctional the first two nights trying to maneuver through to the elevator. our phones were out and we had to make two trips down to report that and get it fixed. enjoyed having the sitting area and the kitchenette. breakfast was really good but the other restaurant food for dinner was average.

Room Tip: overall the hotel is a great place to stay for business.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your review. I am so glad that you found our location to be convenient for your needs. Many of our guests take advantage of the shuttle that goes to any location within Crystal City as it makes getting out for dinner and/or shopping so simple. It is unique as most hotels only offer shuttle to/from the airport and/or the Metro. While we offer that too, we are happy to also offer the local shuttle to our guests.

My apologies for your phones not working and for the tricky path to the front desk. We are excited for the new look lobby and Atrium, but getting to that point is never fun. We are working hard to make it as least impactful on our guests stay as possible. I sincerely appreciate your understanding and I am glad that despite the current state of the lobby that you had such a great stay experience.

The new Food & Beverage Director is working on a new menu so I hope if you return you will find the lunch and dinner options to your liking. Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Newark, United States
Reviewed 10 March 2014

$26.00 a day parking for an older hotel. Not worth the money or time. Breakfast staff were the nicest at this hotel however they were the only ones that were really pleasant. There was a disturbance in the hotel and I was in a Non-smoking room that clearly someone was smoking in.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. i am sorry that the price of parking upset you. The parking price is generally not based on the age of a hotel or building, but by the area it is in. You will find a similar charge at every hotel in Crystal City and a much higher charge at properties in Washington DC. We really do not want any of our guests to be surprised by this charge which is why it is listed on our website, within the reservation process, and on our email confirmations. However, I am sorry you feel it is too high.

While I am so happy you had pleasant experiences with the breakfast staff, I am sorry you did not have the same type of interaction with the other staff members. I am hopeful you will provide details to me so we can use your feedback to improve.

It is unfortunate that a guest became too intoxicated to remember her room and started knocking on various doors. I am very sorry this disturbed you. We do offer smoking rooms and we try to deter people from smoking in non smoking suites by having a hefty fee if this is done. However, there are inconsiderate people that will smoke anyway. I can understand why this upset you, but I am so glad that once you told us we moved you to another suite and you indicated it was much better.

Thank you again for your review and I am sorry you left disappointed. I hope you take advantage of the return certificate offered to you when you let us know of your disappointment as I am confident that we can offer you much better experience on your next visit. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 9 March 2014

There are a lot of varying opinions on TripAdvisor about this hotel and I am not surprised. Overall, we loved it. I was traveling with my wife and 4 kids so the large, spacious suites with conjoined rooms were great. The hotel couldn't guarantee me rooms on high floors (odd, since I am a diamond member and called ahead--other busy hotels guarantee it fine. organizational issues here) but they ultimately came through with a room with a good view of downtown DC on the 9th floor. For those who like views--this hotel is among tall buildings in Arlington so not all high floors have good views.

We had no issues with the breakfast, even on Sat at 9:15 AM. Excellent food, always available plenty of seating. The manager's reception is better than most. Some nights only chips and salsa, other nights pita bread and humus. The latter was awesome and makes it better than most. Ate at the restaurant one night and it was good as well. The pool is small and not open much (5-10 PM weeknights) during the winter, but it was open often enough for us. I liked the lifeguard--a "grandpa surfer dude" who was fun to talk with. VA has silly rules about kids and hot tubs, but got around it when we wanted to. Pool is small but was not crowded for us. In the summer, it would be an issue.

The hotel isn't too far from metro stops and there is a shuttle. Also, it is close to downtown DC and the roads needed to get to/fro downtown DC (like the museums) while crowded, aren't that bad all things considered.

Wifi is a serious problem at this hotel. It is supposed to be a good business hotel--increase your capacity. We ended up using our phone as hot spots as the hotel wifi is spotty. When you have kids you can't just go down to the business center if they want the internet. The construction is a minimal distraction. The parking garage is adequate. Wish they wouldn't charge for parking--and don't use the excuse it is the going rate for hotels in the area. Innovate, people, and put the customer first. It will benefit you.

In sum, we loved it but I think it was because the hotel wasn't at full capacity and also for things we care about (save wifi) they came through.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of DC
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hamptondragon
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your detailed review. I am so glad that you loved staying with us and left happy with your experience. The last thing we want to do it promise something we can not deliver on. We try to meet all guest requests, but if we guarantee you a certain room or floor and then for whatever reason we could not offer this to you, that would be a failure. I am so glad that we met your request and you got one of the few suites with a view of Washington DC.

It is nice to read that you had a great breakfast experience. The staff works hard to keep the food plenty and to turn the tables over quickly once they become available. We do try to change up the snacks offered at the Evening Reception and I am so happy that you enjoyed the various offerings.

The pool is a favorite and we find during the winter the evenings and weekends are popular swim times. I am glad your family got to enjoy the pool and your comments will be passed on to the lifeguard.

Being so close the Metro is a big advantage for our guests who go into DC. While driving in DC is not too bad on the weekends, parking can be very difficult. I am sorry that you had a challenge with the WiFi and passed this comment onto our IT Director. He is looking at ways to make the WiFi even better for our guests.

We do offer room packages that include parking for a discounted price. Many of our guests take advantage of these packages to offset the parking price. I appreciate you suggestion and hope that based on your experience you saw that we do put our guests first. Our ultimate goal is to have each guest leave happy and wanting to return.

Yours in hospitality -

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Just stayed three nights.

Very good accommodation in this all suite hotel with very regular courtesy bus to the airport and metro - for a holiday some might prefer to be more central in DC but this place is 50%+ cheaper and has a full breakfast.

My only (minor) criticisms are the managers reception/happy hour (between 5.50 and 7.30pm. A free drink is fine but sliced melon seems a bit strange.

The suites are well equipped - 2 TV's, fridge, microwave etc.but lack cutlery and plates for those eating in.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for sharing your review. It is nice to read that you had an enjoyable stay. Being we are so close to Washington DC and it is so simple to get in/out of there from our location, many of our guests comment that they can enjoy the DC experience without paying the DC prices. You are correct that it is a significant savings to stay with us even though we are only one and a half miles outside Washington DC.

We try to change up the snacks offered so the same ones are not offered daily. I am sorry you did not enjoy the melon, but hope you found other items you enjoyed. Thank you again for posting your review and also for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return soon!. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Yours in hospitality -