“Good Enough to Overlook a Few Quirks”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 May 2014

When you think of Embassy Suites, you think of a spacious suite and great breakfasts. In that regard, this hotel will not disappoint. The hotel is conveniently located near Reagan National Airport, close to the shops of Crystal City and a short walk to the Metro. It offers all the amenities of a fine hotel, but there are a few quirks if you look close enough.
An ice machine was out of order on my floor, which was only a minor inconvenience to find ice on another floor. With ice in hand, locating a Diet Coke proved equally difficult. The one eventually found in a machine was very warm, apparently having been exposed to the heat long enough to alter the taste.
Internet access can be had for a daily fee, unless you or your company have an agreement for complimentary access. At checkout time, however, the internet access fees were charged even though my company has such an agreement. After a bit of bickering with the front desk, they finally agreed to refund the charges. This experience right at checkout detracted from what otherwise was a positive stay..

Room Tip: Carefully review statement at checkout to make sure charges are correct and appropriate.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert S
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for your review. I am glad we offered you the spacious suite and an enjoyable breakfast you were expecting. We are fortunate to be in a convenient location for guests coming in to tour Washington DC, guests looking to go shopping at the larger mall, as well as guests that need to utilize the Metro and/or Reagan Airport. It is nice to read that you found our location convenient for your needs.

We are in the process of redoing our gift shop so I apologize for the lack of diet cokes available. I hope you let us know of your diet coke challenge so we could have refunded your money or offered you a replacement. We also would like to call in the vending machine error to the company for repair. I apologize for this inconvenience as well as the malfunctioning ice machine on your floor.

Typically our front desk team is up to date on which rate plans include the Internet. Without the knowledge of your rate plan I can not speak to why the agent thought the Internet was not included. I am sure this was frustrating for you and not the last impression we want our guests to have. I am sorry for this experience and hope overtime you will look back at your stay as a positive one.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you return so we can work hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

703-842-3579
jennifer.geiger@hilton.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,833)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I needed a nearby hotel for a weekend "stay-cation" and this place fit the bill. Even though the facility was filled with kids on spring trips to the nation's capital and people attending a reunion, the place was quite friendly. The noise level was reasonable with none of the youthful guests wildly running up and down hallways as one might have expected. The hotel has underground parking but I found its layout a bit difficult in which to maneuver my car. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from in the area (especially on 23rd St.). Walking around the neighborhood is complicated due to poor road signage. It is also a bit treacherous crossing streets due to the existence of some busy thoroughfares bordered by parallel roadways.

Room Tip: I would suggest staying on the fifth floor or higher with windows facing toward the Potomac River (a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank John C
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were glad to offer you a home away from home during the weekend. Yes, this time of year is the busiest, but I am so happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay. When we have student groups we do require chaperones and security to try and keep the noise to a minimum so our other guests are not disturbed. It is nice to read that you were pleasantly surprised.

I am sorry you found the garage to be difficult to get around. If there is something specific to what caused this I hope you will contact me to let me know as that is not a comment I hear often. While some restaurants are within walking distance we also offer a complimentary shuttle that goes anywhere within Crystal City. This is something that not many hotels offer and our guests find it so convenient as it makes getting to so many restaurants simple. Please take advantage of this amenity should you return.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon for another stay-cation. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

703-416-3801

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The staff and management were great. Friendly and helpful.
The food was an exceptionally great value and quality.
The rooms were quite nice. Location very convenient. The fitness facilities were adequate...only oddity was the pool hours (limited). We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 2020travelbug

Thank you for your review. It is very rewarding to read your comments about the staff as they work very hard to offer a positive experience for each of our guests. While the complimentary breakfast and evening reception add great value to a stay, people are often surprised to find out we offer lunch and dinner too. While those are not complimentary our food and beverage team really try to make each meal delicious and memorable. I am glad this was the experience for you.

We are fortunate to be located so close to Washington DC, the Metro, the Airport, and so much more. It is nice to read that you found our location to be convenient. The reason for the pool hours is because in Arlington all public pools must have a lifeguard. We found very little use of the pool prior to 5pm during the week in the middle of the day on the weekend. Many days the lifeguard would be there for hours with no guests as during those times the guests are out of the hotel. So the pool hours were adjusted to match when the pool is used. I hope you were able to enjoy a swim.

Thank you again for your review and we hope you return soon. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

703-416-3801

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I chose the Embassy Suites for a change of scenery and to have the separate bedroom and living area. The suite itself was very nice and comfortable. But there is major construction going on at the lobby level. The reception desk is in a meeting room and not very appealing with the computers on banquet tables with cords and cables everywhere. Still, the staff was helpful and friendly. On the plus side: Free twice-hourly bus service to the Pentagon City Metro Station and the airport. On the minus side: I had dinner in the restaurant one evening and the service was very poor. I sat there for several minutes and finally had to ask for a menu, and then was ignored for several more minutes before someone came to take my order. One other suggestion: I like to set the TV sleep timer when I go to bed. The TV in the living room had a sleep timer; the one in the bedroom did not. I considered moving the TVs, but decided against it. :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank FlynLass1
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you for your review. It is nice to read that you enjoyed your spacious suite. We are so excited to be reopening our lobby and atrium this weekend! The front desk personnel can not wait to return to the "normal" front desk area to welcome our guests. I appreciate your understanding of the temporary set up while the lobby was being redone as well as your comment about the staff being helpful.

Our guests do enjoy having the option of taking the shuttles or walking to the Metro as well as the convenience that the airport shuttle provides. I am very disappointed to read about the poor service you experienced in the Crystal Grill and apologize for this having occurred. The Director of Food & Beverage will be following up on this to ensure it is not repeated. I appreciate your suggestion and will look into whether this is the same for all suites or if the televisions in that particular suite were switched.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you will return to enjoy our new look. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Although the Reception and Lobby are under renovation, don't let deter you. Bell service seemed scarce, but luggage carts were a avilable option at the front door driveway. Enjoy their evening Manager's reception for most of your favorite drinks, FREE. Remember to show your bar tender appreciation for their effort to serve so many so quickly as does the FREE breakfast buffet cook making seperate and individually unique omelets by request in 3 separate pans at the same time.

The room was clean and spacious with everything present and working properly as it seems to always be at Embassy Suites though usually heavily booked everywhere and not the most available room in any popular area. The in room refrigerator is always a nice convenience to have as are room comfort controls for the temperature you desire.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucky K
Jennifer G, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Crystal City - National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are excited to soon be finished our remodel project, but I am glad to read the project did not have a negative impact on your stay. We do have a bellman on duty, but I am glad if he was not available to assist that you easily found a luggage cart to use.

The value of an Embassy Suites can be found in the suite, complimentary breakfast and complimentary reception. I am sure the bartender and omelet cook appreciate your suggestion, but they also appreciate you mentioning how hard they work to please our guests. It is nice to read that you enjoyed these amenities.

Our guests appreciate having a lot of extra space in our suites as compared to a standard hotel room. I am glad you found your suite to be spacious and comfortable. We do offer green programs as an option for our guests who are interested in participating.

Thank you again for your review. We hope you return soon and please know that we will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was impressed by the staff in particular the supervisor at the restaurant. Overall, everybody was great and extremely friendly. I usually stay on Hampton Inn or Hilton, but after my experience at Embassy Suites I will be looking for your rates on my next stays. Again, great experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
1  Thank Carlos G

Thank you for sharing your review so others can benefit from your experience. I appreciate you recognizing the restaurant supervisor and the hard work the staff does daily to offer our guests a positive stay. While we appreciate you staying at any Hilton Worldwide property we would love to be your choice hotel when you visit the Washington DC area.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

On the whole an excellent experience. Since parts of the hotel were undergoing renovation, there was some noise and minor inconvenience. The wonderful complimentary breakfast and evening reception more than made up for it. I was very satisfied with the room and its amenities.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
1  Thank Joanne A

Thank you for your review. It is nice to know you had an overall nice experience. We are trying to keep the remodel impact to a minimum, but I apologize the noise disturbed you. I am glad you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, evening reception, and suite.

Thank you again for your review. We hope you return to see our new look lobby and atrium. We will work just as hard to exceed your expectations. As always, I invite anyone reading my responses to contact me anytime.