“Convenient, clean, modern, pleasant”

Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston
Ranked #28 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Norfolk, Virginia
“Convenient, clean, modern, pleasant”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on business. Newish HI in great location only 3 blocks or so from Ballston/Arlington Metro. Comfortable room, standard HI style with all necessary amenities like hairdryer, coffeemaker, etc. Comfortable bed. No noise or other problems with the room. Several restaurants in the area within easy walking distance. Super easy access to the Metro system for visiting other parts of Washington DC. Restaurant & bar on the lobby floor if you just want a quick meal. I ate there one night. The food & service were fine. Nothing special but acceptable for a quick bite. Would definitely return to this hotel although they do not discount the rooms much so check the cost comparison with the other nearby hotels. The HI rate may be very close to what others are charging, and I wouldn't rate it as high as some competitors.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ambough

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
Albany, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed hear for the weekend with YANKEE TRAILS. We had a double occupancy room. The room was great. We stayed hear due to the CHERRY BLOOSM PARADE in DC. Plus a boat ride and to see Arlington Cemitary. If I had not done this though YANKEE TRAILS I would of stayed there. Very handy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PTL1954
New Orleans
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This hotel was clean and pleasant. The room (king) was very large, quiet, and comfortable. The hotel is about 3 blocks from the Ballston Metro, and the hotel has a free shuttle. There are plenty of shops and restaurants in the area. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mtarr66
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I like the front desk staff. They were compliant with a computer only coupon for free breakfast. They gave it to myself and my friend for our entire 4 days stay. I also liked the fact that they suggested to reuse the towels in the rooms to save water.

I did not like that the staff STRUGGLED to speak English. when they wanted to clean the rooms while you were still there they didn't quite know that you were telling them you would be gone in ten minutes and then they could come in and clean the room.

I was not too impressed with the pool area because it is small but has a lifeguard!!! I never went in the pool because it was too crowded with five people in it. I wish they had a hot tub to relax in for soar muscles. Overall a great experience and I would do it again!!

p.s. it is located two blocks away from the metro and less than 15 blocks from a grocery store and other places.

Room Tip: lower levels are nice to quick get down to the main level
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank feldnm06
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. Service at the desk is polite, professional and efficient. The hotel room is fine. Location is convenient for business in the Ballston area. Metro station is close. Room is clean and comfortable. Breakfast is consistent with other Holiday Inns. I recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bcsanders
Roseville, California
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights while in town for a funeral. The location of the hotel is excellent, in that everything is nearby, including the church and the cemetery for the funeral. But the staff have problems getting things right. We booked the hotel with a phone call to the hotel, and ordered the "total package," which includes free breakfast and free parking. Somehow the hotel did not have a record of that, but they did have a record of the rate we were paying. The front desk supposedly corrected the problem, but at checkout the bill included parking (at $14 a night). That was corrected.
I tried to get ice, but the ice machine apparently was empty on our floor. I went down a floor, and that ice machine had no power. The front desk clerk arranged to have ice delivered to our room, and cheerfully apologized. I was starting to wonder if they did apologies well because they got so much practice.
The room window faces toward the city of Arlington and Glebe Road, a major thoroughfare. Right in front of the window is a large HVAC unit with a strong fan. When we arrived in town, the temperature was 20 degrees Fahrenheit, so naturally we set the heater for a warmer temperature. The fan was strong and constantly blew the curtains open, even the fairly heavy ones. The temperature also fluctuated a lot, from cold to hot. But the thermostat also seems to be set to drop the temperature if it is not adjusted for an unspecified time period. It would be cold again in the morning, and when we came back at the end of the day,
The free breakfast was only so-so. But I noticed that the "low-carb" meat-and-cheese omelet with nothing else cost as much as an omelet with potatoes and toast or pancakes. Fortunately we could visit the buffet as well as order off the menu using the certificate provided. We got a set of three certificates on check-in, and they were dated Feb. 28, Feb. 29, and Feb. 30. Really. Overnight someone slipped replacements under the door.
Finally, the housekeeping service leaves a lot to be desired. An empty Kleenex box stayed unreplaced for two days; the coffee maker (a Keurig) was not emptied, nor were the used cartridges removed.
The people are nice but the hotel is below my standards for staying there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Tom A
Wayne B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Arlington At Ballston, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the condition of the room you received. Please know that I have shared your comments with our managers to take the necessary actions to correct our deficiencies. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 10 years although it has been about 4 years since I last stayed there. Its getting to be a tired place in need of an update. Furnishings are getting worn. On my last stay I was given a room facing Fairfax on the 2nd floor. The curtains in this room couldn't be drawn-- they were fixed. There was a street light that was quite bright that was shining into the room along with a lot of traffic sound. I asked to be moved and the front desk moved me to a higher floor facing the other direction. Definitely quieter but the bed was too soft. The bar in the lobby (also where breakfast is served) is dated too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. Thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.