“Great place!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Norman, OKI
“Great place!”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I stayed at this property for 5 days on a DC business trip. Overall it is a nice property in a quiet area of Crystal City, short walk to the metro, with easy access to the shopping and restaurants. From the Crystal City metro stop it is easy access to the sites of DC.

Rooms are decent size, although the bathroom I had was a bit small and cramped.The staff were very good and helped with whatever I needed.The shuttle drivers were great. You can call the hotel when you arrive at DCA and they send someone to pick you up. They will also give you a ride to areas around the hotel. I had meetings about a mile from the hotel and they dropped me off and came back to get me afterwards.The Potomac grill had decent food and was a good place to hang out for a drink. Fitness center is nothing special, but OK.

The only thing keeping me from rating this a 5 is the breakfast buffet. It was the same thing ever morning with no variety and a couple mornings it was clear the food had been sitting there under the warmers unattended for quite a while. I paid for breakfast with my reservation and so received the coupons for each of the 5 mornings I was there - which were good for the buffet. In retrospect I would not add breakfast to the reservation but would use the ala carte menu.

All that being said I certainly recommend this property and will stay there again when I am back in that area of DC.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bconwayOU
CPNationalAirport, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear BconwayOU:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a thorough review. We appreciate your feedback, as it helps us identify the areas in which we are doing well – and those we could improve. We are thrilled to hear that overall you greatly enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza National Airport.

We are glad to hear you our central location – just across the Potomac River from Washington, DC, minutes from Reagan National Airport, and surrounded by a unique variety of shops and restaurants – catered well to your needs. We are also delighted to hear you enjoyed the guest service you received at our property. Our team members work hard to provide only the most outstanding service and amenities to our guests. We are so glad you felt they succeeded.

I will, however, pass on your comments regarding our breakfast buffet to our restaurant staff. We would love the opportunity to impress you even further, should your travels return you to the Washington, DC area. If you would like any assistance setting up a reservation please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at (703) 310-8979 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I ended up staying for one night, after a long and stressful day at the Washington National Airport on Feb 14. Unfortunately, I was caught in the midst of numerous flight cancellations and flight delays after the winter storms hit the US mid-Atlantic and Northeast late last week. After many hours trying to find another connection to my final destination (Pensacola, Florida), I finally decided to give up and received a travel voucher from US Airways. The voucher gave me discounted rates at various hotels near the airport, so I randomly selected the Crowne Plaza from the different options. All I really wanted was a quiet room, hot shower and warm meal after the chaos at the airport.

I am pleased that the Crowne Plaza delivered on all counts. It is a 5 minute shuttle bus ride from the airport. I checked in promptly and received a guest room with a king-sized bed. The room was nicely appointed and had a calm and relaxing atmosphere. The bed itself was very comfortable, with lots of pillows and good-quality linens.

When I arrived in my room, I decided to order room service since I was starving. I ordered crab cakes and asked if I could substitute vegetables for the mashed potatoes that came with the order. The woman taking my order said "sure" and said the vegetables were green beans. When the order arrived, it turned out to be baked brown beans instead. I've never had quite such an unusual combination before- Maryland crab cakes, sauteed spinach and baked brown beans on one plate. But I was too hungry and too tired to send the order back. It was surprisingly good.

The one area for improvement would be the size of the bathroom. It was extremely small and awkwardly designed. With the generous size of the entire room, the layout of the bathroom could be easily reconfigured to make it larger by at least double the size. The shower was tiny but I enjoyed a hot shower with good pressure. The small, cramped bathroom is the main reason why I recommend the Crowne Plaza for business and/or solo travellers. The bathroom is manageable for one person, but I hesitate to recommend it for couples, families or groups of friends staying together. Other than the bathroom, the Crowne Plaza has many good features and I enjoyed my unexpected overnight stay at the hotel.

Green Features: From what I observed during my stay, the hotel is very committed to sustainability and the environment. Kudos to the Crowne Plaza for supporting this cause!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank J_M_S_Toronto
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear J_M_S_Toronto:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza National Airport. We are thrilled to hear we were able to help you relax after a long, frustrating day of travel.

We are glad to hear you took the time to enjoy the little things throughout our hotel as well – from our state of the art amenities and local specials in the restaurant, to efficient check-in and the shower pressure in the rooms.

We do hope you will keep the Crowne Plaza National Airport in mind should your travels return you to the Washington, DC area. We would love to have to back, perhaps under better circumstances. If you would like any assistance setting up a reservation in the future, please feel free to contact me at (703) 310-8979 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Happy Travels!

Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed two nights on a business trip and was very pleased with the location and the property. Although the hotel doesn't have on site access to the Crystal City underground or shops, it is nearby. Parking is onsite and underground. Rooms are comfortable and very quiet (10th Floor). The onsite fitness center is adequate with two ellipticals, two treadmills, bench machine, leg extension/curl machine, and an impressive number of dumbell weights. Towels and a water dispenser are provided. The buffet breakfast was good, although pricey; this is DC after all. All in all a very convenient property and would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Al L
CPNationalAirport, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Al L:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza National Airport. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time at our property. Our team members throughout the hotel work hard to provide a seamless, comfortable experience for guests. We are delighted to hear you felt they were successful in their efforts.

We are also glad to hear you felt our location served your needs well during your stay. Our location, just across the street from the underground Crystal City shops, minutes from Reagan National, and surrounded by shops and restaurants, is prime for business travelers.

We hope you will keep us in mind, should your travels return you to the Washington, DC area. If you would like any assistance setting up a reservation with us in the future, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at (703) 310-8979 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Happy travels!

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Comfortable room and friendly staff! I was in DC on business and Crown Plaza was the perfect location. From the front desk to room service, the staff was always helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet was a bonus.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeff T
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This Crowne Plaza is an easy walk to the metro, shopping, and restaurants and is normally very reasonably priced considering its location. It also provides a free shuttle to take you anywhere within a mile of the hotel. When I stayed last week I found the staff very friendly and accommodating. The accommodations were good overall, however, the bathrooms are very small and awkward to maneuver in. Based on the bathrooms it is obviously not a newly built hotel, but really that is my only minor complaint. Overall, very nice stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank themileaddict
West Columbia, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The staff makes this hotel a pleasure upon first arriving. They are superb. My spouse and I stayed four nights and were completely satisfied. There is a full service restaurant for breakfast and lunch, and a full service bar and restaurant for dinner. The bar menu is exceptional and more than just hamburgers. The underground parking is very convenient and safe. The hotel location is about a mile from Reagan National Airport as well as Washington, DC. The beds are comfortable and the amenities, like free WiFi, makes the stay even more pleasureful. The lobby is new and upscale with an island to sit with the newspaper and coffee. Alongside is the stocked public computer center. My only disappointment was the lack of extra toilet tissue and facial paper. We ran out with no replacements in hand.

Room Tip: The breakfast gravy with the morning biscuits and gravy contains jalapeños. It is seasoned to make...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeitaLuetta
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear LeitaLuetta:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time at the Crowne Plaza National Airport! Our team members work hard to provide guests with seamless service; so we are delighted to hear you felt they succeeded in their efforts.

Thank you also for mentioning our outstanding amenities and on-site dining options. Our hotel is designed with the guest in mind – a great location, a comfortable and modern layout, and amenities like sleep kits and free Wi-Fi to help guests feel at home. We are glad to hear these and other amenities helped make your stay a pleasant one.

We sincerely hope you will return to the Crowne Plaza National Airport should your travels return you to the Washington, DC area. If you would like any assistance setting up a reservation, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at (703) 310-8979 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Happy travels!

Southern US
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed here for a night on business and have plans to do so again later this month. The shuttle service from the airport was prompt, and check in was convenient and they did their best trying to accommodate my somewhat-picky requests for a quiet room. I ended up in a nice room on an upper floor, and it was comfortable and reasonably quiet. The bed was comfortable and I didn't have any troubles with the heat. I am a gold member so I got a free breakfast in the morning - don't forget to leave a tip for your server anyway! Food was good and service pleasant. The price was a little lower than nearby hotels - probably because it is a little farther away from the metro, about 3 blocks. However, the shuttle will take you there if you are willing to wait a bit for it. Otherwise, it is not that far to walk. Lots of good restaurants in the neighborhood, looking forward to my return trip!

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor, away from Jeff Davis highway
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business