“Pleasant and welcoming!”

Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed here on a family trip. I guess I didn't realize just how far things were from this hotel when I booked, but the staff was more than helpful with a shuttle or help calling a taxi. The rooms were a little small, and honestly double beds are just plain silly. Queen sized beds are a little more modern and comfortable size wise.
If I'm ever back in this area, I will definitely look into this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Allman2

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just in DC for a quick overnight. Parked across the street, free after 4pm and on weekends. Hotel is near the metro and convenient to all. Across the street from Crystal City, over 100 stores and restaurants, perfect to walk around on a rainy day. Minutes from the airport and the rooms were nice, semi-modern. No complaints and will definitely go back !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mjla434
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were unexpectedly layovered due to bad weather and airport closure. We received stranded traveler vouchers for this hotel. We waited a very long time for the shuttle but once we arrived at the hotel which was very close by everything was better than expected. Room was lovely with lots of amenities. Location was perfect with lots of nearby restaurantsand bars in a lovely area for walking around. Voucher made the price affordable. In hotel Starbucks opened very early so we could catch a light breakfast before catching an early flight. If you have to be stuck this is the place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Shahama1
Reviewed 29 March 2014

When I visit Washington, DC to attend training classes at the USDA Graduate School, I usually stay at the Holiday Inn right across the street from the school. This time, unfortunately, the Holiday Inn was booked solid, and the reservations clerk found me a room at the Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport. One of the nice features is that they offer free shuttle service from Reagan National Airport (DCA) to the hotel. What they don't bother to tell you is that you need to call the hotel from the airport and request the shuttle. If you don't, and you get on the shuttle van labeled with the Crowne Plaza Hotel, and even after asking the driver if this shuttle will take you to the Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, then you get a nice ride to the wrong Crowne Plaza Hotel, and then you get to cool your heel in the lobby until the shuttle van is ready to make their next scheduled run to the airport. The (correct) Crowne Plaza is certainly very clean, and the staff are friendly, but there are little quirky things that made my visit feel almost like a visit to Grandma's home...a poor, sweet, Grandma that is slipping towards senility, that is. For instance, the stopper in my bathroom sink didn't seem to function well, Upon inspection, I found that it wasn't attached to any hardware on the sink, and was merely laying at the bottom of the sink. The proper hardware wasn't in site, or I would have just fixed it myself. I instantly thought of those old rubber sink stoppers with the chain, and would have actually preferred one of those - especially when trying to shave. As I was exhausted from my flight, I decided to splurge and order room service. The room service menu was adequate, and the prices seemed fair - even for room service. I ordered the half pound of fried shrimp. What I received were about a half a dozen, very heavily breaded shrimp. They were edible, but the breading was so thick and heavy - it was almost as if they were dressing them for a journey outside the hotel. This should have served as an omen, but everyone has an off day, and so the next morning, I decided to try their breakfast buffet. Watery scrambled eggs and bad tasting coffee at $16.00 meant I spent the rest of my week eating bagels from the food carts. Housekeeping I think is where Granny also spent a lot of her time as the giant "show" pillow and the coverlet at the foot of the bed found a new location every day. Some days they were on top of the desk, next day on top of the entertainment center - they were never both back on my bed during my stay, which isn't really a big deal to me, just very odd. On the final night of my stay, I decided to roll the dice and try room service again, and I decided to really roll the dice and to order the steak (NY strip). Wow! That was an excellent choice! Excellent steak, cooked to my order with excellent sides (baked potato and asparagus). Also, by my last day, Maintenance finally got to my room and fixed the stopper in the sink, maybe Granny finally took her meds and had this issue properly addressed. Would I stay at the Crowne Plaza again? Eh, the jury is still out. It wasn't my worst stay at a hotel, nor was it my best. The Holiday Inn is still going to be my top choice just for the sake of convenience, the Crowne Plaza - I'm going to have to think about that one.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank dchiang2
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear dchiang2:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your recent stay at our property. It is through feedback like yours we can identify the areas in which we are excelling and those that could use improvement.

We are sorry to hear about the rough start to your stay with us; however, we are glad to hear you found our staff friendly, our steak delicious, and that by the end of your stay things had begun to turn around.

Still, we take comments about our maintenance, restaurants, and housekeeping seriously. I will pass on your concerns to each individual department so they can ensure issues like those you experienced do not happen again.

We do hope you give our property a second chance to impress you. Should you like any assistance arranging a reservation in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at (7-3) 416-1600.

Libby V.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport hotel for four nights at the beginning of March 2014. The hotel is very close to Washington National Airport (DCA) and provided a free shuttle to/from the airport. It is also within easy walking distance of the Metro at the Crystal City station. We had two very nice, average size rooms, one with double beds and one with a king bed. We also had a couple of meals in the hotel's restaurant and meeting rooms, all of which were very good. We came here as a part of a school group that brings students to Washington, DC from all over the United States, so the large number of middle school students wasn't an issue for us, but it may be for you, even though our program's security keeps a very good eye on the students all night long and the instructors do an excellent job of tiring the kids out during the day. The hotel was great and I look forward to coming back next year.

Room Tip: My room didn't have much of a view but with all that there is to do in Washington, DC, that didn...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jarrod C
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear JarrodC:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza National Airport. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at our property! We love to host tour groups like yours, and are always glad to be part of a group’s Washington, DC experience.

Like you mentioned, our central location is key to helping groups like yours fully experience Washington, DC. Our hotel is just minutes from Reagan National Airport and a quick Metro ride from all the downtown attractions. We’re also surrounded by a variety of restaurants and shops, allowing guest plenty of options even in quieter Crystal City.

We do hope you will keep us in mind should your travels return you to the Washington, DC area. If you would like any assistance making a reservation please feel free to contact me at (703) 416-1600 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Thank you!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I needed a place to stay affordably before I moved to my conference hotel the following night and acquired this room via Hotwire. The room was "fine" (nothing especially spectacular) but the service was incredible. My roommate arrived around 9:30 a.m. (we had a 3 p.m. checkin) and they let her check in. // They allowed a visiting friend to validate parking and save $21 just because I asked. // Their shuttle took me to my conference hotel the next day. I may be leaving something out but the staff were consistently courteous and went above & beyond. The onsite Starbucks was a plus too!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tenwaymom
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Tenwaymom:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza National Airport. We are thrilled you enjoyed your time with us. Our staff works hard to provide only the best in guest service, and we are delighted you were pleased with their efforts.

We are also glad you were able to take advantage of some of our on-site amenities, such as our on-site Starbucks. We are the only hotel in our area with a full-service Starbucks; and we are glad its presence helped you enjoy your time with us.

We do hope to see you back again at the Crowne Plaza National Airport, should your travels return you to our area. If you would like any assistance making a reservation, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at (703) 310-8979 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Best place in Northern Virginia/DC area by far. My husband and I travel a lot for personal and for business reasons. The Service was Excellent! Special thanks to Mauricio for assisting with all the details. Made it a breeze for us setting up, during and after the conference. We had cocktails and 3 appetizers during happy hour on a Thursday night. Awesome! Enjoyed the tasty and very reasonably priced breakfast buffet on Friday and Saturday morning. And you simply must try their soups (we had chowder & beef vegetable) , sandwiches (we had a salmon wrap and a roast beef sandwich) and their carrot cake. Loved the whole hotel setup and the staff was so nice.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Donna R
CPNationalAirport, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Washington National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Donna R:

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza National Airport. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time at our property!

Our team members throughout the hotel work hard to provide only the best in service to our guests. We are delighted to hear you were more than satisfied with their efforts. In particular I will pass on your compliments to our banquets department and restaurant staff. They will certainly be pleased they were able to make your stay at the Crowne Plaza a memorable one.

We do hope you will keep the Crowne Plaza National Airport in mind, should your travels return you to the Washington DC area. We would love to host you again! If you would like any assistance setting up a reservation, feel free to contact me at (703) 310-8979 or by email at libby.vertz@bfsaul.com.

Until next time!