“value hotel close to DCA” 3 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, TX
“value hotel close to DCA”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I had a hard time rating this hotel...it IS better than average (ok), but not VERY good...it's just good. The rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable with all basic amenities....coffee maker, shampoo, conditioner. Bathroom doesn't have a lot of counter space but plenty of soft towels. A/C worked well and ran quietly. Check in was quick, personnel very welcoming and professional. We were only there for an early morning flight and the Holiday Inn is maybe 5 minutes away so it is very convenient for that.

BUT, there's no wireless in the rooms...they provide ethernet and it's free but you have to turn the computer on and off to connect...it took us 3 times to get on the internet. In this day and age, I just feel any basic hotel should have wireless.

Another thing I didn't like was that when looking at prices for hotels, this Holiday Inn appears to be a bargain but it doesn't tell you that it is $16 to park there for the night, so that bumps up the price to comparable hotels. And the parking is not ample. When we got there, there were no spaces left...we squished into an area that was for pedestrians and hoped we wouldn't get towed.

Also they only offer double beds, no queens so if you have more than 2 people, it's going to be pretty cozy.

General advice for the area.....bring a map if you are driving to the airport. We just happened to see a sign to the airport when driving to the Holiday Inn. You can only exit right from the Holiday Inn and from there there is no signs. (You have to do a U-turn at the light, then take a left at, I believe, the second traffic light.) From there, you're pretty much already at the airport. Also we had started looking for gas stations when we were approaching the DC area and seriously couldn't find one! The ONLY one was a block away from the Holiday Inn...so that was convenient.

Since our only purpose for choosing this hotel was for airport convenience, I really couldn't comment if this would be a good hotel for visiting the area. I'm not sure what all is around it except the airport.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
nipiotrowska, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Hello wizofwoz,

Thank you for staying with us, Holiday Inn National, and taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor! We are pleased to hear that you found our hotel convenient to your travel needs and we hope that you choose to stay with us again on your next Washington, D.C. visit.
We apologize that there was a miscommunication during your stay but allow us to clarify so your next stay can exceed expectations. Holiday Inn National provides, both, Ethernet and wireless internet to all our guests at no charge. A code is required in order to be able to access the internet which can be obtained at guest services.
We have a total of 285 guestrooms which 83 of them are Queen/King rooms. Due to high traffic such rooms were already occupied. The hotel has an attached garage as well, consisting of 365 parking spaces throughout 4 floors.
Guest services works hard on pleasing all of our guests, next time please let us know how we can accommodate your stay! Looking forward to serving you and your family again!

Kind Regards,
Holiday Inn National team!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. When I needed help, they were very quick to respond. Each time I came down on the elevator they greeted me.

I had a king bed room on the fourth floor. It was good size and very clean. The bathroom was also spacious and clean. In general, the room was in very good condition. There were no signs of disrepair.

Finally, while I enjoyed visiting the pub and the convenience of the location, the cost for a beer and a plate of chips & salsa was $15! It was a bit high, even for the area. If you are looking to hang out, walk a couple blocks to a local pub.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
nipiotrowska, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Dear TravelinKiki,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn National Airport! Guest services takes pride in making our guests feel at home and works hard to accommodate any need. Holiday Inn National Airport has two great convenient restaurants, O’Malley’s Pub and National Diner where the fine fair is guaranteed to please. Also, as you mentioned there are local bars nearby but we hope that you had the time to sightsee the historical monuments and museums too!
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn National Airport hotel on TripAdvisor as we know your time is valuable and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again!

Holiday Inn National Airport Team!
Salem, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We selected this hotel for its location near the airport and to downtown DC, and it fulfilled every expectation in that regard. The hotel is practically within walking distance of Reagan International, and it's a $10 cab ride to the National Mall. The hotel itself is well-maintained and clean, and the adjoining 50's style diner is decent enough for breakfast or a quick lunch.

My only complaints are that the adjoining Irish pub is only open from 4-11pm (which makes me wonder why they bother opening at all), and I found the customer service a bit lacking. On a Friday and Saturday night, it seemed as though only one person was working in the lobby at any given time.

I requested a rollaway cot for our room when we checked in at 1:00pm. When I returned to the room at 11:00pm, the cot still hadn't arrived, so I called the front desk, and was told one would be on the way. We waited...and waited...and waited. After about 20 minutes, I went down to the lobby to investigate, and it seemed as though the person at the desk was surprised that such a request had been made. I went back to the room and waited again...and waited...and waited. After a second trip to the lobby, and another 20 minutes of waiting, the cot finally arrived in our room.

No compensation was offered for this inconvenience, and the front desk was not only unapologetic, but didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to accommodate my request even after my second visit. This may be an isolated incident for all I know, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: Book directly (not through a third-party discount travel site), or you probably won't get the ro...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
nipiotrowska, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Hello GlanderFam,

First and foremost, we apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. Please know we pride ourselves on great customer service and making our guest feel at home. Rest assured that this issue will be addressed with our guest services to avoid future incidents.
Holiday Inn National offers two dining options; The National Diner and O’Malley’s Pub. The National Diner is open for breakfast and lunch serving fresh dishes made to order and O’Malley’s Pub is open daily for dinner, 4 p.m. to midnight, serving up pub dishes and sports programming.
Due to our convenient location to all the Nation’s Capitol attractions we hope that you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle service to the metro and now offered to the Pentagon for your sightseeing needs.
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn National Airport on TripAdvisor. We take these reviews very seriously as it is a tool in better serving our guests.
We look forward to serving you again!

Holiday Inn National Airport Team!
South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

Our stay was for one night... I searched the internet and found a great deal on a 1 night stay and 2 week parking. I looked at the prices for this hotel both here on TA and on the actual Holiday Inn website... they are absolutely crazy. Way overpriced for what we got and what the hotel offered. The room was pretty small. Bed was pretty comfortable, and the little interaction we had with the staff was without issue. I am a normal Priority member and didn't need any special bells and whistles, plus, like I said, it was only for one night so that we could be super close to the airport. We were close to the elevators, but heard nothing from them or from any other rooms / guests. Located right next to a McDonald's and fairly close to a CVS (both 24 hours I believe; definitely the CVS) in case you need anything. Shuttle service was early and convenient enough for us since we had a pretty early flight. No issues with my car being parked here for a week since the garage was covered and had plenty of space. I'd stay again since it's really convenient to Reagan, but only after searching and finding myself a good deal. If you stay here, make sure you do the same!

Room Tip: Search the internet, find yourself a good deal!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
nipiotrowska, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Dear dragonOL2,

We are pleased t to hear that you were able to take advantage of our ‘Park and Fly’ package at the Holiday Inn National Airport! Our Priority Club members do earn special perks which makes it easier than ever to get what you want, when you want it. You’ll enjoy greater choices and flexibility with these benefits even if you are staying for just one night! The next time you stay with us, take the time to enjoy the fare in O’Malley’s Pub . We appreciate you taking the time to post a review about the Holiday Inn National Airport on TripAdvisor. We look forward to serving you again!

The Holiday Inn National Airport Team
Corning, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights in August 2011. The hotel is older, but well maintained. Rooms were cleand and staff was very polite.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Hello Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at Holiday Inn National! We pride ourselves being your home away from home and hope that next time you are traveling through the area we can serve you again!

Bluefield, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

As frequent travelers to DC, we decided to try this hotel. We stayed here from July 30 until August 2 and are a Priority Club Member. Upon check in, we were given the wrong room which was extremely small, however they did correct the problem when we arrived to the room and saw there was no sleeper sofa. However, having to vacate one room, to go to our new room, made us run behind and late to the baseball game. Unlike other Holiday Inn's around the city, including the ones in DC itself, parking is full price at $16, although I was told club members get a discount. Sadly, we could have stayed at Holiday Inn on Capitol Hill and parking would have been cheaper with the discount and we would have been able to stay roughly for the same price. Secondly, beware of the kids eat free, you must have tickets to get the free breakfast which can be obtained from the front desk but we did not know until they tried to charge us for a full price for the kids breakfast. The shuttle to the and from the metro was nice, and the drivers were awesome! We also received a wakeup call this morning at 6:00 a.m. although we did not request to be made to us. The room was big and we didn't hear any noise from other rooms which can be an issue at other hotels. Overall, I would rate it 2 for not having clear policies that would be automatically be honored at other hotels.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear FrequentlyTravels11,
Thank you for taking the time to review Holiday Inn National on TripAdvisor. We take guest feedback seriously, and use your feedback as a tool to improve our level of service. First, and foremost, we apologize for the inconvenience we have caused during your stay. We pride ourselves on our guest service and are disappointed to hear that our policies were not better communicated during your stay. Your comments will be shared with our team in order to better serve all of our guests in the future. Our goal is to meet and exceed all of our guests needs, and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Holiday Inn National Team!

Travellers are raving about these Arlington hotels

Molndal, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I guess that most of us have an idea of what to expect from Holiday Inn. My first was back in 1974. Always solid delivery. But this hotel stuck out in a few aspects.

The free wifi is the fastest I have encountered in any hotel. I stayed at this hotel, while attending a conference at another hotel nearby. The wifi there was like trying to breathe through a straw.

The idea of having The National Diner and O'Malleys as separate eateries is great. There seemed to be quite a bit of traffic from locals, which ensured liveliness.

The staff in the hotel and restaurant were all personal, friendly and helpful. I managed to mislay my glasses on the way from the airport. Mathias at the front desk localized them within 5 minutes of checking in. Special thanks for that!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
nipiotrowska, Manager at Holiday Inn National Airport / Crystal City, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Dear PaulHolm,

The Holiday Inn National team is so happy that you returned to stay with us after many years! Since your last stay, our hotel has gone through improvements and has increased amenities and service, as high speed wireless internet. We understand the necessity of this amenity to all our guests and are glad to see it was to your satisfaction.

We hope that you were able to enjoy a meal at one of our eateries. The National Diner serves up a great fresh breakfast buffet and lunch, and O’Malley’s is fantastic option for dinner and drinks.
The Holiday Inn National staff works very hard to make each guest feel at home and be as personal and helpful to make mobility easy in the Nation’s Capitol! We will be sure to extend the ‘thank you’ to Mathias.

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel, Holiday Inn National, on TripAdvisor. We take this feedback very seriously as it is used as a tool in better serving our guests.

We hope to see you again, soon!

Kindly,