“Great location, amazing staff”

Hyatt Centric Arlington
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 9 June 2010

This was my first stay at Hyatt Arlington, and have already reserved my second. Definitely my new go-to hotel for trips to DC. The Metro is right there, there's plenty of shopping and restaurants, and Arlington Cemetery is within walking distance.

The rooms are clean and come with a fridge and nice coffee/tea amenities. Comfortable beds and pillows. The bathroom was huge and spotless, with nice toiletries and even a complimentary tube of toothpaste. The big flat-screen TV had more channels (satellite, apparently) than any hotel I've ever stayed at... unfortunately a lot of my favorites didn't come in, but as a former DirecTV subscriber, I know all too well how that goes. I was also happy to find an in-room safe, which was large enough to fit my laptop and all my valuables.

A couple of cons: No free internet (but the $9.95 fee isn't as high as some I've seen). The breakfast buffet was so-so, with kind of soggy eggs, but as it was free, I won't complain. The potatoes were really good, though. The restaurant is very nice, and the service was exemplary; fast and friendly. Oh, and the orange juice tasted fresh and was ice-cold. Very welcome on a 90-degree day!

I'm not quite sure where the criticisms of the staff I've read here come from... from the moment I arrived (a bit early), I was treated like a princess. I was at first checked in by a delightfully sweet girl named Evelyn, who regretfully informed me that my room wasn't ready yet... every interaction I had with this girl during my stay was a joy. Della, the concierge, is a lovely, friendly woman who indulged me in stimulating conversation while I was waiting because things were quiet. When my room was ready, my check-in was completed by an enthusiastic and perpetually smiling young man named David, who apparently runs the hotel's new Twitter page and obviously loves his job.

I mentioned casually to Jenny, the warm and friendly girl who checked me out, that my evening and night were disturbed by the noisy people in the next room. I didn't expect anything except an apology, yet she made it right by knocking a few bucks off my stay. She also advised me that the hotel does have rooms without adjoining doors, and that next time I should specifically request one, as adjoining doors tend to allow more sound in.

The customer service I received from the staff, from the minute I arrived, ensured I will be back. I really felt like a valued customer. The management of this hotel is to be commended.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
jimmarino, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2010

Wow! What a great review! I literally just made copies and shared it with my entire staff. The employees you mentioned-Evelyn, Della and David-were here today and were beaming! We're so glad you had a great visit and we look forward to your return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,805)

Reviewed 6 June 2010

Stayed here for two nights in early june. Very comfortable rooms. Good amenities for business travel. My requested room was rather small room but they gave me a choice.
The rib eye at the hotel restaurant was rather bad.
Good location close to subway station

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write. We're so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and found our hotel to have good amenities, comfortable rooms and be in a great location. I'll also be sure to share your thoughts re: the rib eye. Its usually delicious! Again, thank you for staying with us and for your thoughtful remarks.

Reviewed 3 June 2010

What else can I say. This was our first stay at the Hyatt Arlington and would definitely return. My husband and I came in for the Rolling Thunder ride over Memorial Day weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The staff at the Hyatt were great - especially a bellman by the name of Francis (TY). The entire weekend there seemed to be some ecletic group here i.e., wedding party, high school marching bands, tourists, and the "bikers." Each group or individual seemed to be treated professionally and courteously. The Metro is behind the hotel, a wide variety of restaurants are within walking distance for families, couples, or groups. Our room was very clean (as well as the hotel lobby area) beds very comfortable and a very nice lounge on the premises with outdoor seating. Hopefully we will return next year.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

We're so pleased you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. I shared your comments with Frances, our bellman and it made his day! Thank you for taking the time to write. See you next year!

Reviewed 20 May 2010

We arrived at the Hyatt with our baby quite early in the day. We casually asked if we would be able to check in early and they immediately accommodated us. We were able to check in early to give our baby a nap. They were extremely friendly and offered us all the conveniences they had to offer. The bell hops were quick and friendly too.

The room was beautiful and clean. It was on the small side but the space was used appropriately. The beds were comfortable and CLEAN. The bathroom was attractive and fully stocked with quality products.

The location was great to the Metro even if the neighborhood wasn't very "cozy." That is what you come to expect being in a business district. We got to and from the Metro without a problem and felt safe at night.

One more shout out to the staff who let us stay later than checkout too. They offered us every convenience we could have wanted. We would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank travelsavy7
jimmarino, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2010

We am so delighted that you had a great experience! Being a parent with small children I know how much just a few extra hours can make a huge difference, especially when they nap! We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thanks for taking the time to write!

Reviewed 25 April 2010

April 05,2010. Easter weekend my family and I stayed at the Hyatt. The hotel locaton was wonderful and the Metro was directly across the street. The kids only complaint was no swimming pool was available. The staff was great and rooms were clean! The beds were not very comfortable but the view from was spetacular. Do not park first!!! Me and my husband made this mistake and were charged 17 dollars a day to park our car. Since we did not get a parking pass first we missed the 12 dollar fee the Hyatt guest are charged. When I complained I was ask to see my check in receipt with the 12 dollar fee...I did n't have it anymore :-( Out side of that incident I would reccomend this Hotel to friends and family... U can walk to G'town in 15mins or less....Char Morrison- Hilliard Oh

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
jimmarino, Jim Marino, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2010

We are so pleased to hear that the location was "wonderful", the staff "great" and rooms "clean". Thank you for taking the time to write, and my apologies for the lack of communication re: parking at check in. I'll share your observations with the team! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2010

My latest stay went pretty well, minor issue with TV, parking went up from $19 to $21 for overnight since Jan visit. Resturant on site has good food but service still seems disjointed.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

We're delighted to see that you're noticing improvements! Next time we hope that your visit was "great" and service "exceptional"! Please keep us posted and thank you for writing!

Reviewed 18 April 2010

The great location of this hotel was rendered utterly irrelevent by terrible treatment by the desk staff upon our arrival and the next day. We had reserved a stay of five nights many months ahead for a room with two double beds, being a family a three. Our trip from the West Coast got us to the front desk around 9:30pm when we were informed that no such rooms were available and the only recourse was for one of us to sleep on the floor for the first night. We were assured that a double room would be available the following day. They were glad to provide some extra sheets for this campout. No apologies provided, just a matter of fact notification. Being told that several other families were in the same perdicament only made us more distressed at their poor management. As we asked for some sort of accomodation for this inconvenience, the desk clerk did agree to give us all complementary breakfast for our full stay. The desk clerk said he would dutifully recorded all this information if the official "book" kept at the front desk. That did make us feel better--temporarily.

The next afternoon we came to the front desk to receive our new room and the remainder of our breakfast coupons. The night before only one coupon was provided (for all three of us), as it needed to be tracked to a room number and with our room changing the next day, the coupons could only be issued once the new room number was known. While we did receive a new room, with two beds, no breakfast coupons were provided. Our inquiry resulted in the evening manager entering the picture and she informed us that we had completely unreasonable expectations about how much free breakfast we would receive. She stated that only one person would be entitled to a free breakfast each day. Also, the notation of our situation in the "book" made no mention of breakfast coupons.

We protested and asked that she talk to the desk clerk who had made us the offer the night before. This person was working that afternoon, and she departed to speak with him. After roughly 10 minutes in a backroom, they both reappeared and the manager whispered directions to the clerk we had been talking to that afternoon. He started filling out the coupons but did not tell us what the outcome had been. So we asked him and received an answer of free breakfast for only one person. At that point, we expressed great displeasure at 1) the hotel disregarding their original offer to us and 2) their cowardice and disrespect to give us such a "final answer" face to face. The manager responded by calling us greedy. The desk clerk from the previous night was now at the desk and he told a version of the story different from the night before. Clearly he had been "coached" on what to now say and the manager was able to defiantly declare her "trust" in her employee.

At this point for us, the issue had moved from how much free breakfast we were promised to these people displaying not only poor customer service but also promoting a lack of integrity. All while trying to cast us as the villans. There is no way I could ever give any future business to such a disreputably organization. Had the DC not been so crammed with people that week, we would have checked out immediately and taken our business elsewhere, even paying a higher room rate if necessary.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank travelingfool6
jimmarino, Jim Marino, General Manager at Hyatt Centric Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2010

Please accept my apologies for not receiving the accommodations you had requested and the confusion regarding your breakfast coupons. We strive to exceed expectations at our hotel with every visit and clearly this was not achieved. I've reviewed your note with staff so that we can proactively address this with all future guest's to prevent reoccurrence. Thank you for writing.