“Love they Hyatt Crystal City!”

Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan National Airport
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis, IN
“Love they Hyatt Crystal City!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

This is my second time staying at this Hyatt and in my first review I complained about being required to pay for the internet. I have since stayed at other DC area hotels, and now realize that this is pretty standard.

I stayed here when my flight was canceled during the recent snow storm. The staff were so friendly and nice, and very sympathetic to my lost luggage, etc... My room was incredibly quiet--I didn't hear any noise at all, even with the ice machine and elevators being located nearby. I had a very peaceful, good night's sleep--the bed was SO comfortable.

I ate at the restaurant for dinner, which was quite busy with all of the stranded travelers. I ordered a diet pepsi, and it took quite a while to receive. I was just so happy to have a warm place to stay and a good meal on the way, that I wasn't really concerned about it. The server finally came, out of breath, and brought me two cans of diet pepsi. She said she was having trouble changing the syrup on their machine, so she ran out to the corner store to buy the cans for me! I would have been happy to order something else, but wow, that is really customer service for her to run out in the snow storm to bring me soda.

The meals that I had at the restaurant were really wonderful. For dinner that night, I had a pasta meal with artichokes, spinach and mushrooms. For lunch the next day, I had a club sandwich with a fried egg. Both of these meals I would recommend.

One more comment, the driver of the shuttle did an absolutely fabulous job of driving through the snowstorm. He was very careful and steady. I was so grateful that the hotel shuttle was still running, because the taxis and metro had shut down.

I can't say enough about the kindness of the Hyatt staff and the comfort of the hotel--highest recommendations!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank tajgood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Metro Orlando
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

I stayed here for one night a week or two before Christmas, taking refuge from a pretty good snow storm I’d spent the day trying to drive through. I figured It’d be a nice change from the places I normally stop along the interstate.

This is a very very nice hotel and obviously caters to business travellers and conferences. They’ve got kind of the European modern look going on and it did appear quite new. Others have mentioned recent construction, although there was little evidence of that other than the closed gift shop and something sort of work at the valet stand. The multi-story lobby/atrium is cool, and I really loved the outdoor glass elevators, although I could see folks with a fear of heights having problems.

Check-in did take a longer than I might have liked, even though there as only one person in front of me. The young woman who’s line I ended up with was a little on the chatty side and even a bit flirty. But, that was actually kind of nice after a hard day of driving. The room I ended up in was clean, and new, with a bunch of stainless steel and the abovementioned euro-modern decor. I went down to the bar to grab a burger for dinner. They did an OK job, but they didn’t seem to be on their A game. I also hit the fitness center, which had a nice collection of equipment and machines.

The biggest issue I ran across was noise. I had a room on a high floor, and it was either right next to a major air duct or there was some sort of resonance wave hitting there from the AC units on the roof. Depending on where you were in the room, it was either fairly quiet, or it sounded like you were standing next to an idling dump truck. Luckily I found a spot on the bed that was quiet. If my wife had been with me I would have had to ask for another room. Another annoying thing was that they had valet parking only, but the folks there were friendly and efficient. And, for some reason I decided to try that “Internet through the TV” thing you always see the keyboard for. What a waste of $10. The page formatting was completely off for every single page and you really had to fiddle with it to get the navigation to even halfway work

They do not have easy metro access from the hotel, although I read something about a shuttle. They did have their own overpass from the front, leading around the hotel and right over to Regan National. That makes them maybe two minutes from the airport depending on the traffic light.

Overall, I’d say here again. I usually try to say at one of the Marriotts in that Crystal Ciry because of the Metro Access. But, this hotel seems nicer in general than those.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Wash.,D.C.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

This was the 2nd year my inlaws have stayed here from overseas. First time was great.
This time - not so much. I can't tell whether management has changed or what happened, but its gone downhill.

Rooms are great, large and have comfy bed and couches. No refrigerators though.
Staff seemed inexperienced and unsure, wouldn't allow me to check my inlaws in early (their flight landed after midnight at Dulles and they wanted to go straight to bed) since I was not the guest.

You cannot dial a guest room directly, you have to go through the hotel operator. That would not be much a problem if the operator actually answered the phone. Several times over the course of the week, I would have to call back and wait to see if they picked up. Very annoying.

The small lobby bar/snack place is closed, so you can't grab a quick drink to go. And I thought these were inconveniences....

One night while my husband was standing on the driveway smoking a cigarette, he got punched in the head by a homeless guy. Police were called but hotel security seemed very unconcerned about this and said its close to the city and things happen. Really? Homeless people punching people outside your hotel is ok to you??

The final straw was the "Baptist" New Years Eve party. My inlaws said there was a sign that a baptist church had booked a banquet room or some such. I took no notice until that night, when I tried to drop them off at 10pm. The traffic in front was chock a block, not moving. There were a lot of people trying to get into the very small street. I dropped them off and thought no more of it. Until the next morning, when I came to get them and they told me they had a horrible night. The hotel had been entirely booked by people hosting what looked like an entire trashy neighborhood, definitely not baptists. They had a terrible time getting through the crowd of drunk partygoers, were and the lobby is pretty big. Loup rap music from the room next door kept them up all night until 5am, with people running up and down the hallways and cursing and they had to call security twice to get the people to turn down the music.
Not a good way to end your last night in the US!

Clearly, we won't be using this hotel again for out of town guests.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Belleair, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

Returning to my room while the maid was cleaning it mid-day, I asked if I could come in to the room. She told me I could, but never asked for any identification/proof that the room was mine! Later I was told because the gift shop was closed, I could use the employee entrance/exit to go to a convenience store not far away and a guard/watch person would let me back in through the same doorway. When I returned, I followed in some employees as there was no one at the guard/watch person desk. These two experiences lead me to believe there is a lack of attention to security and safety for guests. The room itself was well appointed, with a window seat that was a great place to read.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
spring hill , fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

I just stayed at the Hyatt Crystal City for the AUSA Frg symposiom. The room was nice,I had a great view. Ther are all kinds of shops and restraunts a couple of blocks away they have shuttles to take you the metro and the metro will yake you just about everywhere!!! I just want to say a special THANK YOU to the staff!!!! Everyone was very nice and helpful!!! The concierge was amazing!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Will def stay there again next time Im in washington!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Georgetown, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

My wife and I stayed here while she was on business. The room was clean and spacious, and the bed was comfortable. There is currently construction going on in the restaurants so it can be somewhat unpleasant to navigate the lobby and restaurant areas, but this should improve. We got a special rate of $119 per night, so it might not be a great value at the normal rate.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Preston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

Stayed two nights for a conference. Room was fine and bed very very comfortable. Only noise was from a baby crying in adjacent room on first night - can't blame Hyatt for that!

Unfortunately everything else about the stay was poor to average. restauarant staff were fine at breakfast but the bar staff and (private conference, not restaurant) dinner staff were poor - from bad tempered to untrained. Food quality was average at best. The whole place feels a bit bland basically, it's functional but overall gives the impression of being just adequate rather than a pleasure to be there.

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business