“First Class, Great Shopping Location”

The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This Ritz is located attached to a shopping centre and a stones throw away from Reagan Airport and the Pentagon. Also only 5 minutes to downtown DC. I stayed here 3 nights recently and we were very happy with our room, the location and the price. We were able to get an early check in first day and were kinda disappointed with the view but had no problems moving up to a higher floor with a great view the next day (they even moved all our luggage etc while we shopped in the attached mall). Friendly staff constantly greeting you and asking what they could do to make your stay better. Make sure you check out the sunday buffet. $55 seems like a lot but you deserve it and its worth it. Will definately make this homebase next time I'm in DC area

Room Tip: You want a room facing the Pentagon on a high floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City

Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed last weekend which coincided with Hurricane Irene. First of all, I must say that the entire experience was superior. I had booked an Amex package that included breakfast, upgrade if available, and a $100 credit. The website specifically does not
guarantee a king bed, but the night before we arrived I called the front
desk and spoke to Edward who was very polite and helpful. He blocked and guaranteed a king bed for us (we knew we would be arriving late at night). Edward was at the front desk when we arrived and. The room was as promised including being feather free as requested. Although an upgraded rom was not available, he was able to give us club floor access which was greatly appreciated.

The overall service was outstanding. We ordered rom service the first night (we arrived after midnight and were starving). When the order turned out to be incorrect they replaced it promptly and took the meal off the bill. Can't complain about that!

Every day another letter came telling us that they were prepared for the hurricane. On that Saturday we received a "care package" including 2 bottled waters, fruit, snacks, a flashlight and light sticks, in case of a power outage, which fortunately never occurred. We were visiting relatives and had dinner with them in the hotel and when we decided it was to dangerous to drive them home we were able to get a room for them o. The same floor at the same excellent rate we had - $189.

The only thing keeping this from being a totally 5 star review is that the bathroom was small for a hotel of this caliber, there were not enough outlets available for charging all our gadgets, and the clock radio had a CD player which would have been current 7 years ago but now it should have an iPad dock.

Overall it was a very good experience. The staff was unfailingly friendly and helpful which is what really elevates this chain above most others.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We were here for a wedding about 8 months ago, and I am just getting time to write the review. I have to say that for a Ritz, the cost is quite reasonable, and that is a positive. However, in the idea of "you get what you pay for", it isn't nearly as nice as some other Ritz hotels I have stayed in during recent years. In an odd way, the fact that it is connected to a mall of sorts (you don't feel that, but it does have it's own locked entrance) is good for grabbing some quick items, but it does add a layer of disappointment to staying at a Ritz. The neighborhood itself is not unsafe or dirty, it just isn't really that great as it isn't really "Washington" in the traditional sense.

The wedding was done nicely, but for a small wedding of about 50 people, I was surprised that it was done in such a large ballroom, as the size difference was notable and therefore made it somewhat awkward overall and made it feel too empty, which isn't good, even for a small wedding. The food was OK, but again, I would call it serviceable, as for the price I know they paid, I would have expected alot more.

The location is not great as I said above, but public transportation into DC and the landmarks is very easy and very close, meaning that you can really get anywhere, and that was great for my wife and I while traveling around and being able to get and enjoy places with only a few hours and not spend it all on the metro.

As for the rooms, that was my favorite part, the art in the hallways was nice, and the beds are nice and what you would expect from a hotel chain like Ritz. The rooms aren't huge, but they also are comfortable enough that they feel roomy, and the cleanliness was very good.

I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something a little off that the decadence and nice touches in many Ritz resorts and hotels just doesn't feel like it is there exactly - there is no other way I can put it. For the price we paid, and maybe it was just a good rate due to the wedding (we paid about $240 a night), I think the access to the landmarks and the overall condition and appearance of the hotel was worth the money. But in DC with so many more options in terms of location, amenities, etc, I just wasn't impressed, and expected alot more. Again, a very "serviceable" hotel, it wouldn't be a first choice ever for me for a wedding, not even close, but in terms of a place to stay, if the rate was more around $200 a night, I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Pleasant check-in experience at a wonderful DC location, however I entered my room to find a large amount of trash in the waste container, no hand soap or shampoo, and a used bath towel on the floor. Not sure why I was assigned a room not prepared for guest arrival. After a phone call to the front desk and I had to wait for someone to service the room before heading out for dinner -- ballgame. Not sure why an incoming guest would be placed in a partially cleaned or prepared room. Never did get an answer. Very early morning check-out and the vehicle valet could not find my vehicle. Once MY vehicle was located, the valet claimed my ticket stub number did not match the room number and therefore he would not provide MY keys. After back and forth in the early morning hours, I was finally able to depart the hotel with MY vehicle. Again, no answer regarding the confusion experienced at the valet desk. Again, great location and overall property, but the customer service needs attention. Definitely not Ritz level!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I really looked for reasons to give this less than an excellent rating, but I couldn't. I was forced to stay here for a company event. Normally, I'm the type of guy that would rather be pleasantly surprised by a 2 star hotel than risk disappointment from a high rate at a 5 star.
I'm not a fancy man- I'm normally just as happy at a Holiday Inn (happier because I'm better vested in their point system)

The Negatives shouldn't be a huge surprise...
It was expensive
The rooms were nothing special (adequate, but just not Ritz-price incredible)

However, those negatives were far outweighed by the positives...
The attention to detail was amazing. The house keepers went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The valet and bell-folks at the front were outstanding. The concierge was better and more accurate than Yelp and Google. An example of the attention to detail is every morning when I went for a run, I was given a bottle of water and a cold towel as I came running up the driveway.
While the rooms were nothing to write home about, the common areas were impeccable as was the fitness center. The restaurant in the lobby served delicious food and was reasonably priced.
We held a meeting in the hotel and their catering and treatment of us was truly perfect.

The location is great by the way... the pentagon is walkable, there is a mall right next door, and the metro is across the street. Reagan airport is almost walkable (I considered it) but the cab ride is only 5-10 minutes. I did not need a car during my 3 day stay. I usually stay across the river and was concerned that I wouldn't get the DC experience, but that ended up being a good thing. If you are into running, there is a great path about a half mile (max) from the hotel.

I'm still not a fancy guy, but I the Ritz Carlton proved their service reputation to me on this trip and earned my respect.

Room Tip: Didn't get one- don't know.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2011

A great value, rivals the Westin's Heavenly Bed, I have to say the Ritz won this time. The hotel is located in pentagon city, right above the metro and centered inside the mall. Great views and we had our banquet in the ballroom and it was over the top. Service here is as well friendly and over the top. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 24 August 2011

First off - full disclosure - we stayed here for one week on points, although we did have to pay for the daily valet parking.

I was pleased with the accommodations and found our room attendant did an excellent job keeping our room clean. Also, my friend who was a runner was impressed by the jogging map and water bottles & towels waiting for joggers in the morning by the front door.

Location was very convenient in that 1) it's a short ride away to the Mall/Smithsonian - if you are willing to change lines, it's like 3 Metro stops. Otherwise, the Blue line can take you directly but is about a 20 minute ride in and 2) it's connected to a mall - we would go to the foodcourt at the mall for breakfast - there's a Starbucks, Au Bon du Pain and McDonald's there. Au Bon du Pain was open at 7am during the week, 8am on weekends, which was awesome as we like to get an early start to our day.

If I ever come back to Washington, I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arlington
Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Dupont Circle
The Hay-Adams
The Hay-Adams
#2 of 142 in Washington DC

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City? Share your experiences!