“One of the best options to have (a bit) luxurious stay around DC”

The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Sango-cho, Japan
“One of the best options to have (a bit) luxurious stay around DC”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Yes, our budget for trip is very limited. We have to chose much cheaper hotels normally. However, sometime we become eager to have better stay with spending a bit much money even in major metropolitan area such as NY, Chicago and DC.

This hotel is very suitable for such purpose in Washington DC...
- To downtown DC, 7-8 minutes metro ride
- Located just above of metro station (Pentagon City)
- Big shopping mall is just one-minuutes walk
- One metro stop to DC airport

Then, when it comes to price, this Ritz-Carlton is almost half compared to other Ritz-Carlton Hotels in other major US cities. Still it is expensive but I believe it will give you memorable stay in DC area.

Not only their ccommodation is very nice but also their service was flawless and excellent. Here are my experiences in this hotel.

- They allowed me very early check-in. At 8:00am, I wanted them to keep my luggage until check-in time. However, one bellman said "You can do check-in right now". Actually, I could use my room after 8:00am and it helped me a lot.
- They allowed me to have late check-out next day. I could spend my time with some relaxation prior to my Amtrak train departure time.
- In the club lounge, every staff members are very attentive to me.
- I left my polo-shirt in the closet. Lost-and-found staff sent it to me with overnight shipment after they have done "dry-cleaning" to my shirt!!!!

This stay was exceptional. (Of course, the above things might be just "Ritz-Carlton" standard.)
I really recommend staying this hotel during one night if you spend some nights in DC area.

Note: I stayed "Club Room" which includes some free liquors and foods during my entire stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Henrypapa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I was fortunate enough to stay at the Ritz for a week. I must say the rooms and service are both impeccable. The staff is constantly making sure you are comfortable and are willing to go the extra mile to make your stay fantastic.
If you are thinking of heading to our capital don't miss out staying at the Ritz, spoil yourself a little.

• Stayed September 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Went first time to DC with a friend for tourism and I got very good impressin for this hotel. The best of all: the people Thomas from Front Office and Virginia and Kristin from club level were very nice with us and very polite. Concierge staff also very good, there was this sir from Ethiopia (sorry I forgot your name, too complicated!) that took our bags to the room, he was also very king and helpfull. They also gave us a lot of recomendations and tips to make our stay better, and they did! Apart from that the amenities were very good and the room large and very confortable. I work in a 5 star hotel so I know how service should be done, and they do it very well!

Room Tip: Book a room with club access. It is more expensive but is worth it!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dallas
Reviewed 13 September 2011

If you've never been to a Ritz, it is worth trying! They exemplify "white glove" service down to their staff monikers of "ladies and gentlemen." The Ritz is elegant, from the lobby to the rooms, and this location is no exception.

Upon check-in, I received several very helpful tips from the Gentleman checking me in, plus a personalized thank-you letter from the manager. Every employee goes out of their way to greet guests, and they are willing to please however they can.

The location is across the street from the Metro, which is very convenient to all DC destinations. Highly recommend! The prices are not cheap, but they are relative!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Alberton, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This Ritz is located attached to a shopping centre and a stones throw away from Reagan Airport and the Pentagon. Also only 5 minutes to downtown DC. I stayed here 3 nights recently and we were very happy with our room, the location and the price. We were able to get an early check in first day and were kinda disappointed with the view but had no problems moving up to a higher floor with a great view the next day (they even moved all our luggage etc while we shopped in the attached mall). Friendly staff constantly greeting you and asking what they could do to make your stay better. Make sure you check out the sunday buffet. $55 seems like a lot but you deserve it and its worth it. Will definately make this homebase next time I'm in DC area

Room Tip: You want a room facing the Pentagon on a high floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed last weekend which coincided with Hurricane Irene. First of all, I must say that the entire experience was superior. I had booked an Amex package that included breakfast, upgrade if available, and a $100 credit. The website specifically does not
guarantee a king bed, but the night before we arrived I called the front
desk and spoke to Edward who was very polite and helpful. He blocked and guaranteed a king bed for us (we knew we would be arriving late at night). Edward was at the front desk when we arrived and. The room was as promised including being feather free as requested. Although an upgraded rom was not available, he was able to give us club floor access which was greatly appreciated.

The overall service was outstanding. We ordered rom service the first night (we arrived after midnight and were starving). When the order turned out to be incorrect they replaced it promptly and took the meal off the bill. Can't complain about that!

Every day another letter came telling us that they were prepared for the hurricane. On that Saturday we received a "care package" including 2 bottled waters, fruit, snacks, a flashlight and light sticks, in case of a power outage, which fortunately never occurred. We were visiting relatives and had dinner with them in the hotel and when we decided it was to dangerous to drive them home we were able to get a room for them o. The same floor at the same excellent rate we had - $189.

The only thing keeping this from being a totally 5 star review is that the bathroom was small for a hotel of this caliber, there were not enough outlets available for charging all our gadgets, and the clock radio had a CD player which would have been current 7 years ago but now it should have an iPad dock.

Overall it was a very good experience. The staff was unfailingly friendly and helpful which is what really elevates this chain above most others.

• Stayed August 2011
Maine
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We were here for a wedding about 8 months ago, and I am just getting time to write the review. I have to say that for a Ritz, the cost is quite reasonable, and that is a positive. However, in the idea of "you get what you pay for", it isn't nearly as nice as some other Ritz hotels I have stayed in during recent years. In an odd way, the fact that it is connected to a mall of sorts (you don't feel that, but it does have it's own locked entrance) is good for grabbing some quick items, but it does add a layer of disappointment to staying at a Ritz. The neighborhood itself is not unsafe or dirty, it just isn't really that great as it isn't really "Washington" in the traditional sense.

The wedding was done nicely, but for a small wedding of about 50 people, I was surprised that it was done in such a large ballroom, as the size difference was notable and therefore made it somewhat awkward overall and made it feel too empty, which isn't good, even for a small wedding. The food was OK, but again, I would call it serviceable, as for the price I know they paid, I would have expected alot more.

The location is not great as I said above, but public transportation into DC and the landmarks is very easy and very close, meaning that you can really get anywhere, and that was great for my wife and I while traveling around and being able to get and enjoy places with only a few hours and not spend it all on the metro.

As for the rooms, that was my favorite part, the art in the hallways was nice, and the beds are nice and what you would expect from a hotel chain like Ritz. The rooms aren't huge, but they also are comfortable enough that they feel roomy, and the cleanliness was very good.

I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something a little off that the decadence and nice touches in many Ritz resorts and hotels just doesn't feel like it is there exactly - there is no other way I can put it. For the price we paid, and maybe it was just a good rate due to the wedding (we paid about $240 a night), I think the access to the landmarks and the overall condition and appearance of the hotel was worth the money. But in DC with so many more options in terms of location, amenities, etc, I just wasn't impressed, and expected alot more. Again, a very "serviceable" hotel, it wouldn't be a first choice ever for me for a wedding, not even close, but in terms of a place to stay, if the rate was more around $200 a night, I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arlington
Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC
Upper Northwest
Omni Shoreham Hotel
Omni Shoreham Hotel
#68 of 141 in Washington DC

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Pentagon City? Share your experiences!