“Confused and misconstrued Midget management.”

The Westin Crystal City
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Confused and misconstrued Midget management.”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This was my first time staying at this hotel and from the moment I stepped in the room; I loved it. The room was great, the shower was fantastic, but the hotel managers at the time, were completely and utterly out of line and condescendingly rude! EVEN to the point of calling the Arlington police on a guest who clearly was not, in any way, disruptive or combative. I won't mention any names, because it's since been dealt with, but I will say this; make sure you have a tiny spy camera to record certain staff members allowances, that they later may retract!!!

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank UnamazedAmazon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Excellent service starting with Ranuit checking me in at the front desk. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Room was good and in a great location (really close to the metro and an underground mall). I will stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Larry C
Julie Y, Manager at The Westin Crystal City, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
I am so glad to hear that you found our staff to be so helpful and accomodating. We are very grateful to have people like Ranjit on our staff who can create exceptional and welcoming experiences for all of our guests. Please come and visit with us again soon!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Sheraton crystal city is a great hotel enjoyed our stay nice large rooms and close enough to about everything to do in the DC Area, only issue was our room got quite cold at night and we were told that was do to the heat not being on yet. I'll either stay earlier or later next time so it's warm at night or the heat is on.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank K K
Westbrookville, New York
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I loved the hotel. It was beautiful. The whole staff was very nice and accommodating. The diamond in the staff was truly Victor, the bartender. Victor made sure we had a great time but served us a glass of water with ever drink so we didn't drink too much & served us a delicious meal. He was fun but professional. I got the feeling he was watching out for my girlfriend and myself. It was nice because we wanted to "go out" but not leave the hotel. He made our "night out" perfect!
The hotel was very, very clean. The bed was so comfortable I wanted to bring it home with me. If I had a complaint it would be that they need an arrow pointing up so you can find the directions on how to run the shower and the coffee pot didn't have a special area of it's own.
Don't be fooled by the low cost... it's great.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Happy2bMe_Paula
Julie Y, General Manager at The Westin Crystal City, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Happy2be_Paula,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Crystal City. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our staff’s friendly service.Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to see you in the future when your travels bring you back to our area.

Warmest Regards,
Julie Cashin Yeung
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My family & friends stayed at this hotel while in town for a family burial at Arlingon National. The whole staff, atmosphere, & service were all top notch, very caring, thoughtful, & helpful people especially Ranjit at the front desk. All graciously & effortlessly making our stay a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Hard to say, none of us had a "bad" room
Green Features: Good, all seem on the mark, water saving, recycleables. Don't know what else to say
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Terry M
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I was here with my family in August and for the price it is a nice looking hotel! I've tried other hotels near here and none of them had as many amenities and weren't as clean as this hotel was. It is clean and quiet. When returning back here we will definitely seek this place!

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank KrisKGirl
Dear KrisKgirl,

Warmest Regards,
Julie Cashin Yeung
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I needed a hotel on the night of 12/20, I then booked a room through Expedia, I even clicked the icon indicating I needed a room for the night. I arrived at the Sheraton at 3am, my fiancee went to the front door of the hotel to check in and the doors were locked for safety concerns. My fiancee then clicked the buzzer to be greeted by a woman later identified as Linda, who after being told he had a reservation through expedia, she asked him to give out personal information such as credit card number, first and last name to identify his reservation BEFORE being allowed to enter the hotel. Once he was inside he was told he could not check in. I immediately went inside to see what exactly the problem was I too was asked inappropriate questions through the speaker. When I asked to speak to a manager I was then allowed entry. I was told by both employees Linda and Antoine that we could not check into the hotel until 3pm. I then told them we needed a place that night due to a vacation. They proceeded to talk me into paying an additional $140 to stay for 12 hours. I was told that I could not check in. I then asked if we could sit in the lobby, where there were other people sitting, until we were able to figure out some sort of plan for our sleeping arrangements. I was then told by Linda that we were not allowed to sit in the lobby, that it was hotel policy. Long story short WE SLEPT IN OUR CAR THAT NIGHT. The next day we arrived to the hotel to check into the room that I paid for, could not be refunded, and could not check into until 3pm. I was greeted by Ranjit who was so nice and pleasant. During my check in process I told him about my experience that prior evening and he told me that what happened was not hotel policy. In fact I was told that the two employees could have checked me in at 7am, and that its been done before. I was also told that it was not hotel policy to tell paying patrons with reservations that we were not allowed to sit in the lobby. It then dawned on me that I had been a victim of racial injustice. My fiancee is African American with dredlocks and tattoos, and I am also African American. I felt such disgust towards the employees from the night before. Ranjit made my stay much better with two guest breakfast passes, free parking pass, and a $25 food voucher. He recommended I speak to management. I spoke with the general manager Julie Yeung, who took two weeks to call me back to say that she was sorry but I could not be refunded or given another night credit for what had happened but she offered me a friend's and family rate. I will NEVER stay at that establishment again. I am seeking assistance on this matter currently.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank younggiftedandblack
Julie Y, General Manager at The Westin Crystal City, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear younggiftedandblack,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Sheraton Crystal City. We very deeply value all our guests’ experiences and certainly do care about the issues you experienced. After carefully looking at your reservation the reason why the night audit staff was not able to accommodate your request for checking in, was due to the fact that you booked a hotel reservation for a day in advance. Therefore in order to have checked you in to our property at 3am we would have had to obtain an additional night of room and tax. As for the comment about our staff, I will investigate the situation with our night audit team to see what exactly happened. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. I do hope we might have another opportunity to be of service. I would encourage you to reach out to me directly as we can readdress the issue.

Kind Regards,