“Classic Sheraton - With a Bit of an Identity Crisis.”

Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Classic Sheraton - With a Bit of an Identity Crisis.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My sojourn to the Sheraton Hotel in Arlington, also known as Pentagon City, was amicable and untroubled. The lobby is an antechamber of polished marble and is especially exquisite. You may sit and avail yourself of complimentary wireless internet in this beautiful vestibule, but there is a nominal charge for use in your own room. The hotel staff was acutely supportive and cordial. My guest room was of ample space, appropriately furnished, supplied, ‘speckless’ and orderly. Indubitably, I did not have the best view from my vantage point, a kaleidoscope of rooftop-high construction, but very quiet before and after work hours. The bed was large and “oh so” comfortable. There was a full offering of channel surfing, movies, and music on the sizable flat screen television. As I was conveniently near to several historical sites, I walked to find the majestic Air Force Memorial a couple blocks hence; and further declining the steep hill, the Pentagon awaited. The neighborhood did capture an apparent mixture of ethnicities. A block away is a strip mall offering a small dining room of delicious Ethiopian food for those who want to get away from uninspired commissary cuisine, which is granted almost everywhere. It was an engaging area to walk during the daylight hours. Personally, I would not recommend the walk by night. I flew in from Dulles Airport and the trip to the hotel was $30 on the Super Shuttle. The Sheraton’s complimentary shuttle service is from Washington D.C. Reagan National Airport only. As far as transportation in and around the locale, there is bus, rail, and taxi service, which is comparatively accessible; having a car would salvage a lot of strife, stress, and struggle. Wistfully, while in the hotel, I had a distinct perception or notion that I was in Washington, D.C. rather than a corner of Virginia. It was disappointing while in the hotel gift shop that I was not able to find even one “Virginia” memento, especially since Arlington National Cemetery is right there. It may seem like a small thing, but great hotels always consider the specific area in which they reside with souvenir overtures to oblige the fancies of their guests. Unfortunately, I was not able to take the Arlington tour, but would have greatly appreciated a remembrance of “The Unknown Soldier” or the Arlington National Cemetery in the hotel boutique. The Sheraton could have offered a few simple Virginia relics for sell along with the Washington, D.C. icons. The Capitol City has enough memorials of its own. I politely pointed this out to the shopkeeper. The route to the hotel was wondrous, passing the hallowed Arlington National Cemetery, with beautiful greenery far and wide to enjoy. Of course, the metro city traffic can become harried during peak times. There is a restaurant off of the lobby in the hotel. The menu had appetizers, entrees, desserts, and beverages aplenty for the omnivores, but as a vegetarian, I did not find anything beseeching, thus, I made other arrangements. Lastly, my bedchamber was next to an all-night elevator, but aside from a dream or two catapulting me up and down … it was fine.

Room Tip: If you are going to spend time in your room, as for a room with a nice view.
Green Features: Recycles, green practices, local plants are great for the environment.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Keller, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Great morning breakfast and evening appetizers in the Club Lounge. No need to go out for dinner and drinks. The bar is limited but good enough for me. Don't expect manhattans or margaritas but several beers and wines along with basic drinks work.

• Stayed May 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My stay at the sheraton pentagon was excellent and the service was good. Even initially there was a booking mistake since they placed me in a room at the pavillion when I thought I had booked a room in the main building, the hotel staff handled this really well. They gave me complimentary parking and complimentary appetizers vouchers for lunch. All the staff were amazing but Ranjit was particularly exceptional and polite.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This property was top notch. A little pricey for meals...$8.95 for a small bowl of plain oatmeal. The rooms and staff were great, parking was worth the convenience and you can walk or take public transportation to all the sites in Washington and nearby. Only complaint was charges were added to my bill after checkout that were in error by the hotel and remain to be corrected!!!!

Room Tip: Check your final bill for charges that may not be correct.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill D
Steve W, General Manager at Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thanks so much for your comments as we always appreciate guest feedback. We certainly care about the perceived value and want you to know that we do not have phantom charges, however when guests check in with a credit card it is customary to put a small hold on the card to cover additional incidentals like room service and movies. When you check out the hold is released after a day or two. With regard to our menu pricing it may seem like a lot, but room service does have delivery and gratuity fees attached which can easily make an inexpensive item add up quickly. The normal price in the dining room is considerably less. Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts and we hope you come visit us again very soon.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel gave great service. From the greeting at the front desk upon arrival to the last goodbye, they were helpful and gracious. Absolutely loved the club lounge and the generosity of allowing government and military people to go free.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise.
Green Features: Really great that the Sheraton is so environmentally aware and practices what it preaches.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I booked this hotel with "Last Minute Travel" as a birthday present for my adult daughter. It was represented as a 4 star hotel. We requested a higher floor. At check in she was first given a basement room with no windows and strong musty smell next to a banquet room. She was told that this is the room the third party booked for her.They did finally give her another room, next to the elevators and the view out of the room overlooked a roof with a bunch of trash. The carpets were stained and and the door to the bathroom had dark water stains.. This is a sub par hotel and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Did not have an opportunity to experience other rooms in order to give any tips.
Green Features: Only stayed one night so I did not have the opportunity to review the hotel's environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Maria4me
Steve W, General Manager at Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thanks so much for sharing your experience and feedback about your recent visit. I want to personally apologize that we were unable to accommodate your request for a higher floor. I know last minute requests are important and we want all of our guests to have a great experience, but there are times when we cannot accommodate them especially when the hotel is fully booked. All of our rooms do have windows but we should never have any other odor that is not fresh and clean in nature. You can be sure we will look into this so that others are not disappointed. Again, thanks for sharing and please do visit again so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Steve W.

Travellers are raving about these Arlington hotels

Ridgeway, Virginia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I call ahead to ask if I could get the two rooms side by side.(yes) I wanted to have the city view for my parents to see Arlington Cemetery where her brother would be lay to rest.(yes) I want you to know that I have stayed at other Sheratons hotels, most of the staffs are friendly most are clean and maintain. BUT this was the BEST, Eddie and Randit at the front desk are Sheraton. I would stay here again and hope you will also. Try the Club Floor, the services lady was very friendly also to us, I know it is there job to be nice, but you came tell when a people are being phony at the job.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thanks so much for your kind words and for recognizing Ranjit and Eddie. You certainly have a good reason for wanting that view and I am glad we were able to accommodate it. As you know it is quite spectacular and we do try our best to give everyone the same great experience. I trust you will be back and we look forward to making sure you have the same arrangements!