“Was very excited to try this place, not what I was expecting.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Carolina Brothers
Ranked #3 of 211 Restaurants in Ashburn
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Was very excited to try this place, not what I was expecting.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I had heard good things about Carolina Brothers, that it was authentic Carolina BBQ and that it was fantastic. We had a tough time getting into the place, the parking lot was jammed. The place had a long line (we called ahead the day before, I recommend you do the same). Since it's located next to the O&D trail it attracts some spandex clad cyclists. You know how spandex goes, it's not meant for everyone. So I went to the head of the long line to order since my order was ready, not spending more time than I needed to looking at "stuff" sticking out. The place itself was nice, was very clean and the people were friendly. We ordered 2 slabs of ribs and a pound of pulled pork.The ribs were very tender, but the sauce was very bland, I ended up using some Sweet Baby Ray's with my ribs. The pulled pork I was very disappointed in, no flavor, it was very bland. Both items were good, just not great by any means. I would eat there again, but it would again be take out and I would have my favorite BBQ sauce to make it better.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank BUBBAGUMP2012

Ashburn, Virginia
“Eh...Better than Nothing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

I was actually pretty excited about trying this place - I wanted to like it - I really did. However, after ordering the brisket sandwich with the 2 sides (mac & cheese / baked beans), I was unimpressed. They were really stingy with the meat (C'mon - its a barbecue joint - load 'er up!). The meat was very tasty, but got lost within a tiny roll. Also, the baked beans were canned and the mac & cheese tasted like what you would find in a Lean Cuisine.

Overall - not terrible, but could have been oh so much more...

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Wiehle, VA
“Very Impressed!. Very Impressed, Indeed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I'm tough to please. Especially when it comes to barbecue. And, Carolina Brothers impresses. I had the pulled pork sandwich and the baby back ribs. The sauce makes a nice complement to the sandwich, but adding it to the ribs is unnecessary. Perhaps it was because I got there just before closing, but the two sandwiches I got were overstuffed enough that I was able to have a third. The ribs were meaty, and fall-off-the-bone delicious. I also tried the pecan pie, which was good but a bit overpriced at $2.00 a slice.

I will be back. Very little was lost in translating North Carolina barbecue into Virginia.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“decent but not spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

located in the old Partlow's store building in old town Ashburn, next to the W & OD bike trail, so readily accessible to the bike/hike crowd but access by motor vehicle is a little difficult and parking is very tight. the staff is friendly and helpful, though had to call someone to answer an ingredient question (allergy concern). pulled pork and chicken were both tender and decently cooked with hints of spice that did not overwhelm meat, though portions were small, neither sauce offered was palatable for me, but the meats were able to stand alone. baked beans tasted mildly of bbq sauce and were nothing special. my companion felt her potato salad average. nothing fancy about the décor, which is fine with me. restroom was a little messy and could not get hot water. prices are reasonable
nothing to dislike just nothing wowed this barbeque enthusiast

• Visited April 2014
Ashburn, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“awesome pulled chicken and pork”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

when you walk in, it feels like you are down south. great pulled chicken and pork sandwiches. the beans and macaroni are great too! since it is right along the WOD trail, it’s a great place to stop in for a quick meal on your way through.

Visited February 2014