“Real Eastern NC BBQ - all it advertises to be!!”
Review of Carolina Brothers

Carolina Brothers
Ranked #4 of 227 Restaurants in Ashburn
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Absolutely amazed, after 6 decades of eating farm-style eastern NC BBQ I was expecting disappointment for the NoVa area after all the big chains I have tried here. This is the real deal. Very mild flavor to appeal to all age groups but you can add the vinegar based sauce and assorted hot sauces to whatever level makes you happy!!!! True carolina style pulled then chopped (pork). Fully loaded bun with two heaping sides ($7.50), was more like family reunion than a restaurant, even had beef brisket, chicken, and hot dogs available. Homemade pies, banana pudding, and the like gave the whole experience a "down home, tobacco farm" warmth. Only thing I missed was southern style Sweet Tea. This is comfort food at the highest level I have seen in NoVA for the past 8 years. Will be here often.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I had heard good things about Carolina Brothers, that it was authentic Carolina BBQ and that it was fantastic. We had a tough time getting into the place, the parking lot was jammed. The place had a long line (we called ahead the day before, I recommend you do the same). Since it's located next to the O&D trail it attracts some spandex clad cyclists. You know how spandex goes, it's not meant for everyone. So I went to the head of the long line to order since my order was ready, not spending more time than I needed to looking at "stuff" sticking out. The place itself was nice, was very clean and the people were friendly. We ordered 2 slabs of ribs and a pound of pulled pork.The ribs were very tender, but the sauce was very bland, I ended up using some Sweet Baby Ray's with my ribs. The pulled pork I was very disappointed in, no flavor, it was very bland. Both items were good, just not great by any means. I would eat there again, but it would again be take out and I would have my favorite BBQ sauce to make it better.

1  Thank BUBBAGUMP2012
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I was actually pretty excited about trying this place - I wanted to like it - I really did. However, after ordering the brisket sandwich with the 2 sides (mac & cheese / baked beans), I was unimpressed. They were really stingy with the meat (C'mon - its a barbecue joint - load 'er up!). The meat was very tasty, but got lost within a tiny roll. Also, the baked beans were canned and the mac & cheese tasted like what you would find in a Lean Cuisine.

Overall - not terrible, but could have been oh so much more...

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I'm tough to please. Especially when it comes to barbecue. And, Carolina Brothers impresses. I had the pulled pork sandwich and the baby back ribs. The sauce makes a nice complement to the sandwich, but adding it to the ribs is unnecessary. Perhaps it was because I got there just before closing, but the two sandwiches I got were overstuffed enough that I was able to have a third. The ribs were meaty, and fall-off-the-bone delicious. I also tried the pecan pie, which was good but a bit overpriced at $2.00 a slice.

I will be back. Very little was lost in translating North Carolina barbecue into Virginia.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

located in the old Partlow's store building in old town Ashburn, next to the W & OD bike trail, so readily accessible to the bike/hike crowd but access by motor vehicle is a little difficult and parking is very tight. the staff is friendly and helpful, though had to call someone to answer an ingredient question (allergy concern). pulled pork and chicken were both tender and decently cooked with hints of spice that did not overwhelm meat, though portions were small, neither sauce offered was palatable for me, but the meats were able to stand alone. baked beans tasted mildly of bbq sauce and were nothing special. my companion felt her potato salad average. nothing fancy about the décor, which is fine with me. restroom was a little messy and could not get hot water. prices are reasonable
nothing to dislike just nothing wowed this barbeque enthusiast