“Room for improvement”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Room for improvement”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Comfortable stay. Would stay again. Amanda at the front desk was not very friendly or welcoming. Booked a room that included a $20 snack voucher, movie, and late check out, since we were staying on a layover. The details of our stay were never provided. We were incorrectly charged for the movie, which was later corrected. However, It should not be up to the customer to know the details of their stay. We shouldnt have had to ask for the $20 voucher, it should have been provided at check in. It should not have been our responsibility to ensure we had a late check out, that should have been confirmed at check in. Overall pleased with the stay, would stay again. Very trendy hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
I am please to hear that you will stay with us again. Thank you very much for your business and for sharing your stay experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for the unfavorable experience during the arrival process. I agree that our team should have explained the details of your stay package. I have addressed this concern with Amanda, who by the way usually receives great reviews.

Once again, thank you for staying with and we are looking forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Ralph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2014

First off, I would like to start by saying that I am an avid traveler and have a level of expectation and standards when choosing my hotels. I dont expect The Ritz, but also dont want a Super 8. I am a travel agent who also books Starwood hotels a lot and understand each brand has different amenities and accommodation standards.
This hotel is nice on the outside, modern look with fresh touch to the area. Area is very quite and desolate so restaurants and shopping are not close. Lobby is well appointed with color palates however I did not care for the styling of furniture. I did not try the food in the deli area of the Aloft. Their espresso machine was down, so did not have a latte.
My husband and I were traveling with our dogs from Florida so our ride up was quite long and tiring. We arrived at the Aloft around 10pm. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very nice. There was also 2 coach bus loads of baseball players in the lounge that were very rowdy over the loud music that was already bumping. I felt like I walked into a pool hall instead of a hotel. we stayed on the first floor because the rooms are pet friendly and convenient to the side doors for the grassy areas. The location does have good amounts of lawns to walk the dogs which we liked however seems like their grass has not been cut in quite sometime. it was a good 6-7 inches tall all around the property.
Rooms are very modern and institutional. Not very cozy. The lighting was the worst part. I felt like I was in a hospital room instead of a hotel. Room size is also very small and tight. Walls are paper thin, you can hear your neighbors conversation, alarm clock, tv and if a car alarm goes off in front of your windows, god bless. Furniture is very cheap looking and not good quality. Our carpet upon entry had several large stains on it which were gross because who knows what it was. Our comforter had red stains all over it, looked like lipstick or some other disgusting element. Our blind was broken and did not retract all the way to cover the windows (which was VERY important as we were facing the cars right in the parking lot on ground level) My husband fixed it himself. I am not a fan of soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower. Who knows whats in it and what kind of bacteria lurks inside of it. The "rainfall" shower head lacks serious pressure. It literally feels like your standing in the rain, for us ladies, rinsing your hair will be time consuming. The wallpaper next to our desk was scuffed and ripped about 5 feet and was starting to peel off the wall. The number 1 thing I do not understand is the sunflower wallpaper above the bed, its such a modern hotel, there should be a image of water droplets or city skyline, not sunflowers. It just clashed and doesnt do anything for the ambience.

We also used the fitness center. Their machines are very heavily used and doesnt look like anyone cleans them or wipes them down. Ipod ports are ripped out of most machines so plugging in yours is not available. After a long run, Water cooler was completely empty. Food and crumbs all over the carpets in the fitness room as well. Really dissapointing that this is suppose to be a "professionals" hotel. Its anything but...
It was late, past 10pm. We were cranky from a long 10 hour drive and preparing a list for the front desk was not my first priority. We made the best of it and hunkered down for the night. Pillows are very comfortable however bed was a bit on the hard side. Comforter was extremely lumpy, with empty pockets here and there, they dont fluff them often. All in all, I would not stay here again. Not even for the StarwoodPro rate. I'll stick to a Westin next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank batgirl066
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your stay experience. The Aloft brand is alive and our lobby is certainly always inviting for our guest and clients. Our team strives very hard to exceed our guest expectations, and I'm sorry that we were not able to meet yours.

Once again, thank you for your business and for sharing your valuable feedback. I will certainly share your experience details with our team.

Best regards,

Travellers are raving about these Ashburn hotels

Maple Shade, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a typical Aloft hotel with cement floor and modern furnishings. To me, that decor felt cold and unwelcoming. The room was clean but not comfortable and relaxing after a long day traveling. It felt very much like a dorm room or a business office with beds. Just not my taste. I wouldn't consider another stop at Aloft unless there was not another option.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
We are glad you choose to stay with us and appreciate your valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the Aloft was so different for you. However, happy to hear that you are willing to return again some day.

On that note, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

First time staying in an aloft hotel. It is a fun hip place to stay. We attended a party here too and the staff turned the place into a mini nightclub for us. This place was very clean and comfy. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank adn75
We would have to agree with you that our Aloft hotel is not only hip, but very affordable. We are glad to hear that we made your stay better, different and more special.

Thank you for sharing your stay experience and for your business. We are looking forward towards welcoming you back soon.

LHR
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Was not my 1st choice as the HGI next door is where I normally stay in this area. I was pleasantly surprised when I stayed in the ALOFT at PHL..as I have recorded previously. on TA. However this place proved completely the opposite. As highlighted the only saving graces for me is the Shuttle staff - shared with the HGI next door and the Front desk staff. The rest is just unacceptable. We start with the room and beds - which on arrival I seriously questioned if they had actually been made / changed at all considering how the sheets & quilt were laid out? The sheets had not been turned to the bedf correctly and the quilt itself had literally been thrown into its cover leaving it looking unmade? Room was tired - despite a 'trendy look" and there were significant scrapes and tears on the wallpaper? The room safe was not working so I had to carry my valuables/passport etc around which was not ideal. Events escalated when I went downstairs having complained about the room. I managed to attract the attention of surely the most unhappy employee in the US who really showed about as much interest in my or anyone else there? Young man you either need to get out of the Hospitality Industry and seek an alternative Job - maybe as an Undertakers assistant or something? You know who you are....Drink orders late, I saw a lady order a Pizza and he actually left it on the Counter for 10mins whilst she was busy with her friends. When she raised why it was cold - he shrugged his shoulders and said..:that's the way it is.." unbelievable..I then had two trips back to the lobby for faulty key cards....the Breakfast can only be described as laughable and a total rip off..$10.00 for a sausage muffin and Coffee? Go across the road to the HGI for food....As one of only two options its a limited choice and if I could have I would have crawled on all fours to the HGI next door if it would have had any availability. The ALOFT here is where you go when you really want to see service that is as bad as it sounds - but the Shuttle Drivers and Reception are the exception and are excellent - but the Barman....oh dear...never again...

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs...unless you have no other option!!! Unplug theFridge as its louder than the AC u...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank OverlandandseaLhr
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us at the Aloft Dulles. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you incurred during your visit. I agree with you our staff is our "savings grace" and generally strive daily with exceeding our guest expectation. The defects with service that you expereiced, is not a true reflection of our teams.

Please accept omy apology if our branded Aloft menu did not meet your expectations. The menu has many great offerings.

Once again thank you for staying with us and for sharing your valuable feedback. We are looking forward towards making your future stays delightful.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The worst stay EVER! We had stayed at Aloft near Dulles Airport in Ashburn Virginia for just one night. It was the worst in every respect. Especially the hotel staff was most impolite and rude! The room beds sheets were not clean. The toilet was broke and kept making noises all night long. The beds were the worst, if you sleep on the edge you would automatically roll down to the center! But we are not the kind of people who would fuss over these little things, we just to take some rest! We were in with the kids and called the front desk at 6:30 in morning for complementary toothpaste and the guy told us that come get it your self. I told him this is not the service we expect from this hotel. I asked him for his name. He refused to give me his name on the phone. He said if I want to know his name then come downstairs and find out and he simply hung up the phone on me! This happened at 6:30 AM and I was with 2 small kids. I have since called ALOFT head-office and filed a complaint. I have yet to hear back a response from them. We ended up checking out of the hotel immediately. I am NEVER staying in ALOFT hotel where guests are treated this way! Appearance was deceptive! Two thumbs down! NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ali S
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Ali S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your stay experience. I am very disappointed to hear that your experience was less than satisfactory. Our team strives daily to exceed our guest expectations. I am addressing your concerns and will personally contact you to further discuss service recovery means.

Once again thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing to stay with us.

Ralph Shorter
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Service in the transportation and service in the lobby need dramatic change. Facilities in the room were good. Generally speaking the hotel was pretty compact. It's a little far away from the airport and quite a distance from D.C. I would not recommend staying here if you have business to do in D.C. the next morning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us at The Aloft and for sharing your feedback. We appreciate your business and are striving daily with exceeding our guest and clients expectations. On your next visit to the area we look forward to welcoming you back.

Ralph Shorter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Candlewood Suites Hotel Sterling
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!