“Short overnight post concert crash-pad”

Aloft Dulles Airport North
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 May 2014

It's funky and modern. Nice place and a good representation of a budget minded eco hotel without being a capsule hotel or looking like your sleeping in a vending machine. Had a double room. Layout is efficient with a galley of sink, vanity, commode and shower stall all along the wall as you enter. It better utilizes the space without bumping out a corner of a square room for a bathroom and creates a sound barrier from hallway noise too. There was some signs of wear - stain on the carpet and scratches along the walls (WTH goes on in these hotel rooms in general - half the time I can't even re-create a scenario to put a mark that high up a wall :-) All-in-all a nice place. Could use some TLC now before it falls down in ranking.

Location: Exxon Circle K in front for expanded convenience needs. Close to Dulles but a bit far for a "quick" commute downtown. Don't rule it out if you are spending a day and driving to DC but only for a post concert crash-pad it was a bit far until the Metro SilverLine is completed. Price was right but it took 25 minutes by car to get to Vienna Station and then it's a good 45 minutes to Metro Center so plan accordingly.

Room Tip: great for airoport, too far to run in/out of downtown w/o driving & Metro combo
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing you valuable. We agree that our hotel is very sleek and modern. We are working everyday to improve our product (TLC).

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

The experience at this hotel is mixed at best. Major problem? Lack of service and untrained front desk agents -- I can understand and forgive the latter but not so much the first.
Let's begin with the front desk agent. I met 3 agents for different reasons for a two night stay. Two of them seems to be not so familiar with their work. One of them obviously just begin to work and had no idea almost about anything, from elite member gift to make a green choice. She strived to compliment, however. So I understand this. Though it's a bit more of a wait, you can see her nice attitude.
The other parts of the service of the hotel obvious need improvement. The first thing caught our eyes was that one of the two double beds was not made when we came in. The duvet was pulled over but the sheet underneath was a mess.

Then we found one of the duvet is very much clamped and all the stuffing is concentrated at just a few spots while other part of the duvet is just two sheets. I went to the other untrained front desk agent and she thought I was trying to make an unnecessary room change. "Another guy looking for troubles" was written all over her face and before I said I only wanted to change the duvet she already started pointing out "all our duvets are like that", and showed obviously relief when I did not really want to change a room.

She called up a guy who came to give us the new duvet. I happened to meet him in the elevator and I saw him and was happy and tried to take the duvet over from him. He made no attempts rejecting but just gave the duvet to me....so I had a big duvet in me and was clumsily trying to open my room door. This guy then tried to help with his room key...at which point I realized almost no other house service guy would let a guest to carry their stuff. This is ok since I asked for it, but, when this guy left the room, he left a very, very strong curry smell in the room. to be serious I do not know how long he didn't take a shower to smell like this.

The "xyz" bar was nicely designed, but again, it is very short handed. The bartender was nice but I was told he is also the chef. So, a handful of customers were left unattended for about 20 minutes...the chef came in to become the bartender and took orders, checks, chat with people, and after another 20 minutes he walks away starting to make food and becomes chef again. Needless to say the serving was super slow -- talking about this, maybe the strong curry smell from the house service guy is also due to a hybrid job that also works heavily in the kitchen?

The bar also ran out of literally everything, from draft beer to chicken tenders. Wow, I ordered 7 things on the menu one by one only to know they ran out of it. That's quite a new experience for me.

Anyways, I don't know what's going on with this hotel, but I tend to see that the management is trying hard to cut costs, either by hiring less people and squeeze them, and essentially making them unwilling to work (e.g., by faking to make up a bed) or to put less provisions in the kitchen so they can get "sold out" -- obviously for the management, not wasting stocked food is far more important than a happy customer.

So this hotel impressed me on these ends. Quite impressive for an SPG hotel actually since I haven't had worse service at any spgs at all -- I am not talking about problem solving abilities, I am just talking about basic, daily, service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank herbertgzb
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your candid feedback. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you incurred during your stay. Your interpretation of services received are not a true reflection of our hotel and team.

In fact our team strives daily with exceeding our guest expectations. The Aloft offers a unique experience to our guests, and is somewhat different from a full service hotel. However, our staff and many amenities makes us a very in the Dulles Market of hotels.

We appreciate your business and once again sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We also look forward towards welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Comfortable stay. Would stay again. Amanda at the front desk was not very friendly or welcoming. Booked a room that included a $20 snack voucher, movie, and late check out, since we were staying on a layover. The details of our stay were never provided. We were incorrectly charged for the movie, which was later corrected. However, It should not be up to the customer to know the details of their stay. We shouldnt have had to ask for the $20 voucher, it should have been provided at check in. It should not have been our responsibility to ensure we had a late check out, that should have been confirmed at check in. Overall pleased with the stay, would stay again. Very trendy hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014

I am please to hear that you will stay with us again. Thank you very much for your business and for sharing your stay experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for the unfavorable experience during the arrival process. I agree that our team should have explained the details of your stay package. I have addressed this concern with Amanda, who by the way usually receives great reviews.

Once again, thank you for staying with and we are looking forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

First off, I would like to start by saying that I am an avid traveler and have a level of expectation and standards when choosing my hotels. I dont expect The Ritz, but also dont want a Super 8. I am a travel agent who also books Starwood hotels a lot and understand each brand has different amenities and accommodation standards.
This hotel is nice on the outside, modern look with fresh touch to the area. Area is very quite and desolate so restaurants and shopping are not close. Lobby is well appointed with color palates however I did not care for the styling of furniture. I did not try the food in the deli area of the Aloft. Their espresso machine was down, so did not have a latte.
My husband and I were traveling with our dogs from Florida so our ride up was quite long and tiring. We arrived at the Aloft around 10pm. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very nice. There was also 2 coach bus loads of baseball players in the lounge that were very rowdy over the loud music that was already bumping. I felt like I walked into a pool hall instead of a hotel. we stayed on the first floor because the rooms are pet friendly and convenient to the side doors for the grassy areas. The location does have good amounts of lawns to walk the dogs which we liked however seems like their grass has not been cut in quite sometime. it was a good 6-7 inches tall all around the property.
Rooms are very modern and institutional. Not very cozy. The lighting was the worst part. I felt like I was in a hospital room instead of a hotel. Room size is also very small and tight. Walls are paper thin, you can hear your neighbors conversation, alarm clock, tv and if a car alarm goes off in front of your windows, god bless. Furniture is very cheap looking and not good quality. Our carpet upon entry had several large stains on it which were gross because who knows what it was. Our comforter had red stains all over it, looked like lipstick or some other disgusting element. Our blind was broken and did not retract all the way to cover the windows (which was VERY important as we were facing the cars right in the parking lot on ground level) My husband fixed it himself. I am not a fan of soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower. Who knows whats in it and what kind of bacteria lurks inside of it. The "rainfall" shower head lacks serious pressure. It literally feels like your standing in the rain, for us ladies, rinsing your hair will be time consuming. The wallpaper next to our desk was scuffed and ripped about 5 feet and was starting to peel off the wall. The number 1 thing I do not understand is the sunflower wallpaper above the bed, its such a modern hotel, there should be a image of water droplets or city skyline, not sunflowers. It just clashed and doesnt do anything for the ambience.

We also used the fitness center. Their machines are very heavily used and doesnt look like anyone cleans them or wipes them down. Ipod ports are ripped out of most machines so plugging in yours is not available. After a long run, Water cooler was completely empty. Food and crumbs all over the carpets in the fitness room as well. Really dissapointing that this is suppose to be a "professionals" hotel. Its anything but...
It was late, past 10pm. We were cranky from a long 10 hour drive and preparing a list for the front desk was not my first priority. We made the best of it and hunkered down for the night. Pillows are very comfortable however bed was a bit on the hard side. Comforter was extremely lumpy, with empty pockets here and there, they dont fluff them often. All in all, I would not stay here again. Not even for the StarwoodPro rate. I'll stick to a Westin next time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank batgirl066
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your stay experience. The Aloft brand is alive and our lobby is certainly always inviting for our guest and clients. Our team strives very hard to exceed our guest expectations, and I'm sorry that we were not able to meet yours.

Once again, thank you for your business and for sharing your valuable feedback. I will certainly share your experience details with our team.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a typical Aloft hotel with cement floor and modern furnishings. To me, that decor felt cold and unwelcoming. The room was clean but not comfortable and relaxing after a long day traveling. It felt very much like a dorm room or a business office with beds. Just not my taste. I wouldn't consider another stop at Aloft unless there was not another option.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are glad you choose to stay with us and appreciate your valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the Aloft was so different for you. However, happy to hear that you are willing to return again some day.

On that note, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

First time staying in an aloft hotel. It is a fun hip place to stay. We attended a party here too and the staff turned the place into a mini nightclub for us. This place was very clean and comfy. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank adn75

We would have to agree with you that our Aloft hotel is not only hip, but very affordable. We are glad to hear that we made your stay better, different and more special.

Thank you for sharing your stay experience and for your business. We are looking forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Was not my 1st choice as the HGI next door is where I normally stay in this area. I was pleasantly surprised when I stayed in the ALOFT at PHL..as I have recorded previously. on TA. However this place proved completely the opposite. As highlighted the only saving graces for me is the Shuttle staff - shared with the HGI next door and the Front desk staff. The rest is just unacceptable. We start with the room and beds - which on arrival I seriously questioned if they had actually been made / changed at all considering how the sheets & quilt were laid out? The sheets had not been turned to the bedf correctly and the quilt itself had literally been thrown into its cover leaving it looking unmade? Room was tired - despite a 'trendy look" and there were significant scrapes and tears on the wallpaper? The room safe was not working so I had to carry my valuables/passport etc around which was not ideal. Events escalated when I went downstairs having complained about the room. I managed to attract the attention of surely the most unhappy employee in the US who really showed about as much interest in my or anyone else there? Young man you either need to get out of the Hospitality Industry and seek an alternative Job - maybe as an Undertakers assistant or something? You know who you are....Drink orders late, I saw a lady order a Pizza and he actually left it on the Counter for 10mins whilst she was busy with her friends. When she raised why it was cold - he shrugged his shoulders and said..:that's the way it is.." unbelievable..I then had two trips back to the lobby for faulty key cards....the Breakfast can only be described as laughable and a total rip off..$10.00 for a sausage muffin and Coffee? Go across the road to the HGI for food....As one of only two options its a limited choice and if I could have I would have crawled on all fours to the HGI next door if it would have had any availability. The ALOFT here is where you go when you really want to see service that is as bad as it sounds - but the Shuttle Drivers and Reception are the exception and are excellent - but the Barman....oh dear...never again...

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs...unless you have no other option!!! Unplug theFridge as its louder than the AC u...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank OverlandandseaLhr
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us at the Aloft Dulles. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you incurred during your visit. I agree with you our staff is our "savings grace" and generally strive daily with exceeding our guest expectation. The defects with service that you expereiced, is not a true reflection of our teams.

Please accept omy apology if our branded Aloft menu did not meet your expectations. The menu has many great offerings.

Once again thank you for staying with us and for sharing your valuable feedback. We are looking forward towards making your future stays delightful.

Ralph

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Best Western Dulles Airport Inn
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!