“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I needed a hotel for a couple of nights for a business meeting near Dulles Airport. Aloft was just what I needed. Price was really good and the room was great. Nice to stay at a hotel that is not the usual cookie cutter variety. Has a European flair. Great shower, modern clean line decor that is awesome. Service was great. My place to stay in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your stay experience. We are vey please to hear you enjoyed the visit and look forward towards welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Having the Dulles airport cancel our plane was a great problem for us but this hotel was recommended and I must say it was a great one which made our lost time easier to past.

The price for the room, the included WiFi, the time from the airport and the general feeling was great. No hidden fees is always a good thing.

Room Tip: Do not hesitate to choose this hotel if you are in that region or if Dulles makes you lose a night!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 13 June 2014

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I come here on a regular sometimes just to get away and enjoy some needed time. The staff is great here providing excellent service! The bar and pool area is very inviting. First hotel I know plays upbeat music to vibe too. Rooms are spacious and have a modern look. The bar tender Gabriel is mad cool as well. Maryam makes sure everything kept in a professional order.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bryant T
Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and agree our hotel is very inviting, staff friendly and Maryam our Operation manager is always courteous and professional.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again very soon.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Not a bad hotel for the price. Plenty of space in the rooms for me and two friends, nice bathroom with Bliss toiletries, decent outdoor area to relax in the sun (even though you are right beside the back parking lot) although the indoor pool was way too cold to be enjoyed. A hairdryer didn't come in our room and we had to call twice to have one brought up and had to call a third time when the first one they brought up didn't work. There were also only 2 large towels in the room when they should really include 4. The walls were a bit thin which caused us to wake up to our neighbors making noise at 5AM. The only thing that absolutely must be improved is the customer service and training of the staff - the front desk staff seem to be pretty clueless and not extremely helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank newyorknewyork24

Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a group with 19 rooms and the kids enjoyed the hotel. The guests probably wanted to run us out. The adults enjoyed the bar as well. The bar tender was a nice dude!!!Pool table, computers, gym and a decent buffet was created for our group. Even though others were eating off it unauthorized. All room keys were ready when we arrived. All rooms were not properly stocked with towels and tissue. But we got what we needed after a few calls. Overall this was a good hotel. Very sleek and modern.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank saltlady1

Philadelphia,pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

It's funky and modern. Nice place and a good representation of a budget minded eco hotel without being a capsule hotel or looking like your sleeping in a vending machine. Had a double room. Layout is efficient with a galley of sink, vanity, commode and shower stall all along the wall as you enter. It better utilizes the space without bumping out a corner of a square room for a bathroom and creates a sound barrier from hallway noise too. There was some signs of wear - stain on the carpet and scratches along the walls (WTH goes on in these hotel rooms in general - half the time I can't even re-create a scenario to put a mark that high up a wall :-) All-in-all a nice place. Could use some TLC now before it falls down in ranking.

Location: Exxon Circle K in front for expanded convenience needs. Close to Dulles but a bit far for a "quick" commute downtown. Don't rule it out if you are spending a day and driving to DC but only for a post concert crash-pad it was a bit far until the Metro SilverLine is completed. Price was right but it took 25 minutes by car to get to Vienna Station and then it's a good 45 minutes to Metro Center so plan accordingly.

Room Tip: great for airoport, too far to run in/out of downtown w/o driving & Metro combo
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing you valuable. We agree that our hotel is very sleek and modern. We are working everyday to improve our product (TLC).

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward towards welcoming you back soon.

McLean, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

The experience at this hotel is mixed at best. Major problem? Lack of service and untrained front desk agents -- I can understand and forgive the latter but not so much the first.
Let's begin with the front desk agent. I met 3 agents for different reasons for a two night stay. Two of them seems to be not so familiar with their work. One of them obviously just begin to work and had no idea almost about anything, from elite member gift to make a green choice. She strived to compliment, however. So I understand this. Though it's a bit more of a wait, you can see her nice attitude.
The other parts of the service of the hotel obvious need improvement. The first thing caught our eyes was that one of the two double beds was not made when we came in. The duvet was pulled over but the sheet underneath was a mess.

Then we found one of the duvet is very much clamped and all the stuffing is concentrated at just a few spots while other part of the duvet is just two sheets. I went to the other untrained front desk agent and she thought I was trying to make an unnecessary room change. "Another guy looking for troubles" was written all over her face and before I said I only wanted to change the duvet she already started pointing out "all our duvets are like that", and showed obviously relief when I did not really want to change a room.

She called up a guy who came to give us the new duvet. I happened to meet him in the elevator and I saw him and was happy and tried to take the duvet over from him. He made no attempts rejecting but just gave the duvet to me....so I had a big duvet in me and was clumsily trying to open my room door. This guy then tried to help with his room key...at which point I realized almost no other house service guy would let a guest to carry their stuff. This is ok since I asked for it, but, when this guy left the room, he left a very, very strong curry smell in the room. to be serious I do not know how long he didn't take a shower to smell like this.

The "xyz" bar was nicely designed, but again, it is very short handed. The bartender was nice but I was told he is also the chef. So, a handful of customers were left unattended for about 20 minutes...the chef came in to become the bartender and took orders, checks, chat with people, and after another 20 minutes he walks away starting to make food and becomes chef again. Needless to say the serving was super slow -- talking about this, maybe the strong curry smell from the house service guy is also due to a hybrid job that also works heavily in the kitchen?

The bar also ran out of literally everything, from draft beer to chicken tenders. Wow, I ordered 7 things on the menu one by one only to know they ran out of it. That's quite a new experience for me.

Anyways, I don't know what's going on with this hotel, but I tend to see that the management is trying hard to cut costs, either by hiring less people and squeeze them, and essentially making them unwilling to work (e.g., by faking to make up a bed) or to put less provisions in the kitchen so they can get "sold out" -- obviously for the management, not wasting stocked food is far more important than a happy customer.

So this hotel impressed me on these ends. Quite impressive for an SPG hotel actually since I haven't had worse service at any spgs at all -- I am not talking about problem solving abilities, I am just talking about basic, daily, service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank herbertgzb
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your candid feedback. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you incurred during your stay. Your interpretation of services received are not a true reflection of our hotel and team.

In fact our team strives daily with exceeding our guest expectations. The Aloft offers a unique experience to our guests, and is somewhat different from a full service hotel. However, our staff and many amenities makes us a very in the Dulles Market of hotels.

We appreciate your business and once again sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. We also look forward towards welcoming you back again.

Ralph
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Wingate by Wyndham Chantilly / Dulles Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Washington Dulles International Airport
Comfort Suites Dulles Airport
BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!