“Ideal for a Younger Crowd”

Aloft Dulles Airport North
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ashburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Wilmington, Delaware
“Ideal for a Younger Crowd”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

If you're in your 20s and early 30s and single, this is a great hotel for you. My family regularly stays here because it's the only category 2 Starwood hotel in the area, and it's not as suited for us. However, if I was ten years younger, I would think it's the greatest innovation since sliced bread. The Aloft is decorated with cool colors, has nice meeting areas including a courtyard, a pool table, bar, swimming pool, and a fitness center. There's free wi-fi throughout the hotel.

For the older crowd, it's a little noisy; but we tolerate it because, again, it's a better deal using our rewards points than the Sheratons in Reston and Herndon. I've also had a few problems dealing with the management over discrepancies with their 'green choice' option (for Starwood members). I'd give it a rating of a 4 if I was younger.

As with all Alofts, they do allow dogs.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David L
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your business and for sharing your valuable stay experience. We are happy that you gave us a try. Yes, we aim to be better than most hotels in the area, and believe our hotel excellent staff and amenities caters to all.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 25 July 2014

To be 100% honest I didn't leave my room because this stay was for business and I had work to do, but the hotel was great. Very trendy lobby with a pool table. I've heard the gym and pool are great. The room comes with a mini fridge, iron, ironing board, blow-drier, coffee-maker, and complementary hookups for your devices to the flat screen TV. I had two desks and a very comfortable bed, but I couldn't seem to get the air-conditioner to reach a comfortable climate. Wi-Fi was fast enough to stream videos off Netflix. There is a place to buy food in the lobby, and also a gas station convenience store directly outside of the hotel. But the bathroom door is just a sliding mirror, and the shower has a translucent glass panel that looks into the main part of the room, so if you need 100% privacy in the bathroom it might be an issue.

Room Tip: The first floor can get a little noisy because the parking is directly next to the building, also, t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Ralph
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Good place for quick overnight trip. We've stayed there several times before flights on he park & fly packages with mostly acceptable results.

In February 14, 2014, after multiple previous trips and was highly disappointed. I was told that I had to park in the back (for the park & fly package), which was completely fine. The sidewalks were icy and none of the ramps were cleared; there was no way to get a suitcase or anything else from the parking lot onto the sidewalk. We had to trudge through snow and icy patches just to get to the sidewalk. There wasn't any treatment on the sidewalks either to cover the icy patches.

I asked the front desk person and was told that maintenance would be there shortly to clear. Attached are my photos from my experience. Needless to say, no one did anything further to assist or ensure conditions were safe.

The sidewalks were never cleared and we struggled, slipped and have a very difficult time entering and exiting the hotel. I understand the need to have park & fly guest park in the back; however the sidewalks and sidewalks need to be cleared.

The room was functional: good king size bed with decent pillows. A long bench ran across the front of the room to rest carry-ons, sit on, leave clothes out for the next morning, etc. A roomy desk with a phone (not beside the bed) so one has to get out of bed for the walk up call. The bathroom is interesting: sink outside (good for 2 people to get ready at the same time), odd "door" that slides to close the toilet and shower away from the sink.

I hope they address the poor sidewalks and icy situations so we can feel comfortable staying here in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Ralph
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

my name is Sam I stay Aloft Dulles Airport North
Ashburn, VA
June 2014 for one week i'm so happy they have a good management and good service and all the rooms clean also they have a good customer service only think I like everybody work that hotel They so friendly Thank you for everything

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Hamed M

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Fairly new hotel in an isolated location, obviously built to serve the airport. Lobby was large and airy with lots of comfy seats. Bar only opens at 5pm. Little choice of food except from a vending machine. Room was a good size with a comfy bed and we slept well. Bathroom door was big and noisy and didn't really close properly. Not a destination hotel but the price was reasonable and if you know what your'e getting it meets your needs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 16 July 2014

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were stranded in Dulles overnight and chose this property. It was a big mistake! I am a Starwood Preferred Guest and usually like Starwood properties, but this one is a shame to the name.

We arrived at the hotel to find a nice room awaiting us. Just one problem - there was no hand or bath soap in the entire facility. In addition, since this is an airport hotel, you would think that they would have a good selection of late night snacks in the lobby to choose from, but the only things to find were junk food (chips, candy bars). Though they advertise sandwiches and salads, none were there.

There are NO restaurants nearby within walking distance. So if you take the airport shuttle, you have to eat at the hotel - if they have food.

Finally, the service here was very poor for a Starwood property. My guess is that Aloft is Starwood's low-end option, and it shows!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelALot62_9
Dear Guest,

Travellers are raving about these Ashburn hotels

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a very fine Aloft hotel. I stay here frequently. The staff is excellent, friendly and efficient.

The front desk is well run. Amanda and Victor in particular is the excellent.

The WXYZ is a fine place for a hotel bar. it can get very crowded during the week and although the service might get slow at times, the staff are always take their time to make sure customers are happy and never seem in rush.
They welcome their SPG members with welcome bag that includes a warm welcome note from their Director Of Operations along with the breakfast coupon and some goodies ! (very nice touch)

everyone from the houseman to the bartender and the housekeeping staff are pleasant and willing to help.

I rarely write any reviews but I over heard the Front Desk discussing some unfavorable reviews they have received recently and while they seemed disappointed, as a frequent traveler, I know that every hotel has some bad days and I don't think it is fair to undermine all the effort the aloft puts to make their guest happy for couple bad experiences.

I personally have never been disappointed by this hotel and though errors accrue, the management is very quick to respond and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
ralph S, General Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your business. We are glad we exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburn
Hilton Garden Inn Dulles North
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles - North/Loudoun
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North
Homewood Suites Dulles - North / Loudoun
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
HYATT house Sterling/Dulles Airport-North

Been to Aloft Dulles Airport North? Share your experiences!