All reviews pool table dulles airport lounge area flat screen tv modern hotel indoor pool business traveler free shuttle hip dc fly pets layout
Reviewed 25 March 2016

The hotel generally has good reviews, but though it has some very nice aspects, I was unimpressed that a Starwood hotel would be so lacking in appeal...

The check-in was quite uneventful. When I was checked in, I felt I was treated appropriately and with kindness. I went quickly to my room, and all was great for the first few days.

I generally review hotels based upon a few specific points: Peacefulness, comfort, and cleanliness. I was disappointed that the noise level between rooms was so pronounced. While I do not begrudge my neighbors in any way, with the difficulty faced by a family traveling with a baby and a toddler, I did find the 1am, 3am, and 5am crying a bit discerning. The bedtime rumpus was loud too, but generally well finished before I retired for the evening. I found it better if I slept with earplugs in for the few days this kind family was here (hey, babies do cry – that’s cool; but I would have hoped for a more sound-resistant barrier between the rooms).

Comfortwise, the beds felt quite stiff, but were of high-enough quality that it was probably just me. The showers were under-powered, though the design of the shower is actually very contemporary.

After a few days of not having the room serviced, I was a bit frustrated. On one day, the cleaning team serviced only a part of the room (one trash can was emptied, and the linens on the unused bed were tidied up). They completely ignored the bed I was sleeping in, which was due for a change of sheets. In hopes of having them service the bed, I stripped the linens completely, only to discover some pretty disgusting stains on the mattress.

On other days, they left a note stating no service was performed because of the “do not disturb sign”; but the sign was removed at 9am as I left each day – it wasn’t on the door whenever they left the letters.

On another note, the room was directly above the laundry facilities in the hotel. The downside here was that the heat in the room was quite unbearable, even with the air-conditioner running at a fairly high setting (in January, no less). I’m not sure what they can do about this, considering it is a structural design issue; but perhaps the room should be used as a last resort when the hotel fills.

The lack of service quality and the stains on the bed are my biggest complaint about the hotel. The front desk staff was amazing and quite helpful once I brought the issues to their attention, though this did little to improve my stay. The cleaning staff seaming had a disconnect with client feedback submitted.

Lastly, while the hotel has a large sign in the lobby advertising their "high-speed internet", I was barely able to make an audio-only Skype call, even in the middle of the night. Web pages were slow to load and bandwidth, measured from several sites, was typically less than 1mb. As a business traveler, I rely on the hotel internet in order to work - this was markedly problematic for my stay.

I don’t think I would want to stay here again. I do expect much more from a four-star hotel within the Starwood chain, and this hotel just did not meet the bar.

Room tip: Choose another hotel; but if you must stay here, don't stay on the second floor above the laundry...
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Anthony P, Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2016

VagabondMedic,

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to make every guest's stay a great one, and I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. I have noted the specific complaints you've mentioned and will bring them to the attention of our staff in the hopes that we can correct these issues in the future.

Reviewed 16 March 2016 via mobile

I ended up here when I bundled my flight with Expedia. I called when I got to the airport for the shuttle, but after waiting for 45 minutes, the shuttle still hasn't arrived. I called the hotel and they told me to take a taxi, which they would pay for. When we got there, the taxi driver and I waited in line for about 15 minutes because they couldn't find the reservation of the person in front of me. The man at the front desk was very efficient and apologetic when it was my turn.

The room was fine, although all the soaps smelled like something from the tween section of Bath and Body Works. Glad I brought my own lotion.

Each day you opt out of housekeeping services, you receive a $5 voucher for food. I appreciated that option. It paid for my breakfast the last day.

Pro tip I learned about the shuttle: You can also take the Hilton Garden Inn shuttle, since they're next to Aloft.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Anthony P, Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2016

Thank you for your feedback.

In regards to the shuttle service, we actually partner with the Hilton Garden Inn to provide shuttle service to guests. I apologize that the shuttle service was overwhelmed on your arrival date, and am happy to hear that my front office staff offered to pay for your cab to prevent you from having to wait even longer.

Reviewed 11 March 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights and I was so disappointed. My friends have raved about Aloft in my area and their personal vacations. First, climate control was less than horrible in the room. Either way too cold or way too warm. The bed was absolutely the worst hotel bed I have ever slept on in my life and the pillows were equally bad. The toilet in our room ran constantly the whole time. On the flip side the staff was nice, the shower products were great and you do get bottled water in the room. The property itself looks a bit tired. The chairs were dirty in the lounge and the pool table has ripped felt on the playing surface. I guess I will have to go back to staying at the Marriott where I get a choice of pillows.

Trip type: Travelled with family

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. Our platform style beds are not for everyone, though many of our guests enjoy them. The hotel will be updating all of the public area furniture in the coming months. Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate hearing from our guests and finding ways to improve.

Reviewed 10 March 2016 via mobile

I called the property at 11:40PM and the night shift person said the next shuttle would be arriving and took down my phone number. However, he neglected to mention that it was the Hilton Garden Inn Shuttle and there was no signage to indicate that this shuttle went to the Aloft as well.
I also did not receive a phone call to which I can only assume the front desk person did not bother to tell the shuttle driver because when I called the front desk, he said, "Oh let me call," and told me that the shuttle driver would be coming back for me. This was untrue because the shuttle driver called me as he was leaving the hotel and gave me detailed instructions as to where and when he would arrive. Furthermore, the shuttle driver called as he was approaching the shuttle courtesy stop to make sure I got on the shuttle.
In addition, when I arrived at the hotel, the night shift person was eating chips and took my identification with his dirtied fingers.
Also the quality of the rooms are much lower than other Alofts.This level of unprofessionalism and lack of miscommunication is disappointing and one I would not expect from a Starwood Brand. I sent an email to Anthony Pieri, the manager, but I have yet to receive a response.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Anthony P, Manager at Aloft Dulles Airport North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry for the issues that you had during your stay. We are working diligently to improve both the level of service and the quality of our rooms. I would also like to apologize that I have been unable to respond to your email as of yet. I intend to contact you directly today to discuss your issues in further detail and see what we can do to correct them for the future. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 4 March 2016

From the fantastic lobby to the excellent comfortable rooms this hotel Is worth a stay Got a value at 79 per night and it is worth every penny. Was served at the front desk by the Earl of Leadfoot.

Excellent boutique hotel very near Dulles international airport and Ashbury business.
Will stay again.
It is 30 - 55 minutes to DC from here so If you are spending a lot of time in DC this is a little far. It did not bother me. Restaurants are slim by this location so we traveled out for dining. This hotel has poor food. It does have a full bar which is a plus!
They advertise the fastest wifi around but... Sadly it goes to zero at peak hours had to use my wifi to get anywhere on the net. Email was ok

Room tip: My room was on the front side 4th floor and away from the elevator. It was very quiet no Jet noise at this location
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback! We look forward to your next visit!