“Good food, good service, good prices.”
Review of Thai Gourmet

Thai Gourmet
Ranked #12 of 90 Restaurants in Ashland
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Barnegat, New Jersey
“Good food, good service, good prices.”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

While driving home to NJ from SC, my wife and I stopped in Ashland, VA for the night. We reviewed the restaurants recommended by the hotel and one of them was Thai Gourmet. We checked Trip Advisor and they said it was #6 in Ashland so we tried it. We were not disappointed, the food was good, the service was good and the prices were also. This is a good place to stop at if you like Pan Asian food.

• Visited October 2013

“Got sick twice...”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is the first restaurant review I've ever written and I felt compelled to share after our experience. My husband and I moved to the area a few months ago and were so excited to find a Thai restaurant nearby, especially since it had good reviews, but we have become quickly disappointed by this place.
First time we tried it, we dined in. We went with my in-laws around 5pm on a Saturday and were only the 2nd table of customers in the place. I was expecting prompt and friendly service as indicated by all the other reviews, but we got neither. The waiter took about 10 minutes just to come to our table and seemed very rushed, which I didn't understand since the place wasn't busy at all. We ordered our usual favorites: Pad See Ew and Pad Thai. The pad see ew was very greasy and the sauce on it was not the usual sauce/gravy that I usually see and taste when I order this elsewhere. It was opaque and lacked much taste. The sauce on my husband's pad thai was much more red than usual. We both ended up getting sick afterwards with horribly upset stomachs and have never had that problem with other Thai restaurants.
Second time we tried was a couple weeks later. My mother-in-law thought it was good (but hasn't had Thai from anywhere else) so she wanted to get take out. We figured we'd give the place another try (and couldn't really say no since she was paying). We ordered the same dishes, had the same problems with things not tasting like Thai food we've had elsewhere, and got more sick the 2nd time. Needless to say, we won't be back. It's worth the drive for Thai Diner or Elephant Thai for better food an md service and not getting sick!!

• Visited August 2013
Mechanicsville, Virginia
“Love Thai Gourmet!”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I've only ordered the Pad Thai - its so good, I don't want to try anything else! Very prompt and courteous service, too.

• Visited August 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great food and even better service.”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I came here with my girlfriend after spending a day at King's Dominion. Besides a Denny's and Burger King, there is a restaurant black hole in Doswell so we drove to Ashland for dinner.

We ordered a Pad See Ew and Drunken Noodles and they were both delicious. My only complaint is that too much oil was used for the two dishes and this was made apparent when the top half of the dish was finished, leaving a puddle of grease on the bottom. Portions were not huge but certainly not stingy. The Pad See Ew came with a very generous portion of shrimp, a rare sight nowadays since shrimp is expensive. Prices are extremely reasonable, mostly $11-12 and given the generous amount of meat, this was quite a steal.

Bathroom was clean and clearly maintained on a regular basis.

The most impressive part about Thai Gourmet is the service. Our waiter (whom I think is also the manager) is a middle-aged gentleman with glasses. He was extremely friendly and hospitable and immediately made us feel at home. Even though he was frequently on the phone due to a rush of take-out orders around 6pm, he still tended to our table regularly. At the very end of our meal, he even gave us traffic tips around the region by informing us that there are cops (that check for speeding) to watch out for nearby on I-95. As additional customers came in, I was impressed with how he greeted regulars by their first names.

• Visited June 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Consistent fresh goodness”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I have dined here many times, and I have always enjoyed:
+ prompt, friendly service
+ well-prepared food made with fresh ingredients
+ clean, welcoming modest decor
I've tried several things on the menu, and have not been disappointed. The vegetables in the entrees nearly steal the show; they are fresh and never overcooked, Service has been engaged & attentive without being intrusive, and they will adjust spice levels to taste. Prices are moderate. On one occasion, with advance notice, they cheerfully accommodated a large party requesting separate checks. I just wish Thai Gourmet was closer to my house! It's my favorite Thai restaurant in the area so far. The owner & staff seem to really enjoy what they do.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Bill H

Been to Thai Gourmet? Share your experiences!