“Go elsewhere! Racism at its finest...”

Super 8 Ashland/richmond
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel is in a good location in regards to where I was visiting. There are many other hotels in this area. This was not even the cheapest hotel. The rooms were old, the breakfast was inadequate. It wasnt dirty, but some more care could be taken as far as stains on the walls and sheets, etc. I would have not otherwise complained had the following not happened:
I was in the breakfast eating area, and when I was about to take food to my room (for myself and the 3 others in my family), the front desk clerk (an African American woman) told me that "all food had to remain in that area", rudely. There was indeed a sign that did say that, so I had no problem obeying the rules (most hotels dont mind if you bend those rules). However, while I was sitting down eating, an African American woman and her son came in and took food out, and was politely greeted by the front desk clerk. I understand that discrimination runs rampant in todays society, and Ive been a victim of it plenty of times and I just let it roll off. BUT to have it come from hotel staff where I payed good money just like everyone else? That is unprofessional on all levels. I dont expect to have the rules broken for me, but everyone should have to follow them, no matter what demographic you fall under. I had to buy 3 breakfasts that day outside the hotel... was an extra $15 to me on top of the $70+ room that shouldve been $40. Theres plenty of better competition in the area. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: July 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Room smelled and did not feel clean and fresh.... I felt like I could not even cover up with bedding.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Room was not well cleaned, bed linens had burn holes (a no-smoking room!), bathroom door was falling apart and carpeting was sticky. In the past this motel was average, it is now striving for bad

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is my 3rd visit in 3 years. I return due to the convenience of the location en route from Florida and the value. The price is very reasonable and the room was more than one would expect for the price. I had a comfortable & firm king bed, a nice little couch and a desk. The room was clean. I wasn't expecting the Ritz and I got more than one would expect for the price.
I was only there one night but the room would have been comfortable for a longer stay. If I were there for business the room was quite serviceable to work in at the desk. I had a problem with the internet and the manager came right away to resolve the issue. All the personnel were efficient and friendly. I will most likely return on my next trip to or from Florida.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Sleep Inn & Suites
Centerstone Inn
Centerstone Inn
#3 of 5 in Doswell
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ashland - Hanover, VA

Been to Super 8 Ashland/richmond? Share your experiences!