“crusty around the edges but not a total dump”

Super 8 Ashland/richmond
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Reviewers who write that this place is terrible have never stayed at a true rathole motel. This is not one of them. It is a slightly run down not terribly well kept place that is perfectly fine for no frills traveling. If you want a super nice place pay twice as much. The Super 8 Ashland is a good value for $35. It's not scary or disgusting.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 February 2010

As the first hotel I had to select on my own, it was a great choice. No micro or stove. WiFi (3 bars), great heat, well-stocked bathrooms and coffee machine. Two armchairs, coffee table, nice big bed for two, TV (I did not try). Roomy for 1, probably could have slept 3 with the couch. Several restaurants within 500 feet, located conveniently. If you need extra power sources for (e.g.) a laptop, check behind the bed. This hotel has great value.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I stay here every year on my way down to the Carolinas. Being that the hotel is right off of 95 and the cost is the main reason that we continue to stay here year after year. The rooms are always clean. Sometimes the front desk staff is friendly and sometimes they are not. We do not go to the breakfast so I can not really comment on that, easier to just go to McDonalds. The pool area is always clean. Great place for a one night stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Arrived and were given a key to a second-floor room. Hauled luggage to room, only to discover that key card didn't work. Trekked down to get a new key-card and were assigned room on first floor. Hauled luggage to first floor. No elevator in sight. Overwhelming stench of urine in stairwell. Room and pool fairly clean. Breakfast tolerable, if simple. What do you expect for the cost, I guess? Just a place to stop for the night.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2009

I was a bit apprehensive about staying here after reading some of the reviews, but I went with it anyway. I was not disappointed at all. The desk clerk was very friendly & had my reservation. Check in went fine without a hitch. The room was cheerful & nicely decorated. There was a slightly musty smell in the bathroom, but everything was clean. The continental breakfast was just cereal, donuts, & coffee or tea, but that is normal for the Super 8. If you want luxury, go somewhere else, but this was fine for a budget traveler.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 November 2008

We stayed at a Super 8 in Max Meadows, Virginia on our way to South Carolina. It was very well kept and hospitable so we decided to book at a Super 8 on our trip back as well. However, the Super 8 at 806B England St. in Ashland, Virginia - has a lot to be desired. It was very run down. We don't recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 30 July 2008

My family and I spend the day at Kings Dominion and after an exhausting day we checked into the Ashland Super 8. The staff was great; check in was a breeze as I had pre-booked the room a month in advance.

Upon entering our room there was a presence of a very clean smell as well as appearance of quality, we had everything we needed to settle in for a good nights rest.

We went down for breakfast and were a little late so there was not much left (our fault) but enough to make due. Before checking out we went for a swim in the pool, which was nice, and our daughter played on the playground they had.

It seemed every time I stepped out of the room I saw a staff member walking around to make sure everyone had what they needed.

For the money this was a very nice, well maintained hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Skeeter34