“A hidden gem”

Cuisines: Italian
Southampton, New Jersey
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

This resturant is wonderful. The service is amazing. And friendly staff. Felt like we were a part of the community. All the food here is made fresh not frozen. I had fresh raviolis and they were delicious. The fried mozzarella was out of this world. The garlic rolls were great too. Guidos put our regular Italian place to shame. We stopped here on our road trip back disney. I highly recommend this place!!!

• Visited September 2013

Mechanicsville, Virginia
“Missed the Mark”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My wife and I ate at Guido’s on Saturday, July 20, 2013 – we arrived right at 6PM. The restaurant was not busy – there were only five or six people eating when we were seated. Our waitress was very nice, informative and provided excellent service throughout our meal. The fact that there were so few people eating on a Saturday night at 6PM should have been a big clue as to what we were in for. I don’t like to give a bad review to locally owned restaurant, but our experience was not good!! When we left, we thought of our meal as a waste of caloric intake and time.

We started off with a calamari appetizer – it was not good. The breading was limp, undercooked and very, very greasy. Somehow, even with an undercooked breading, the actual squid was way over cooked as it was very chewy – think rubber bands. The high light of the appetizer was the marinara sauce that came with the calamari – it was excellent, among the best I’ve had. I kept the marinara sauce when our appetizer was cleared off the table to use as a dipping sauce for the bread. Our salads were very good; my Caesar salad had a very good dressing.

For our entrees, I got the mussels, and my wife got a calzone. My mussels were served in a bowl with a white wine sauce on a bed of spaghetti. The sauce had very little flavor and was absorbed by the spaghetti – so why put the noodles in the dish? The mussels were cooked well – they were nice and tender and only one in the bowl did not open. However, there were tons of undercooked garlic slices in the mussels and the sauce. These garlic pieces were large (1/8 inch thick or more) and so under cooked as to be uneatable!! It took a lot of time to remove these garlic pieces from my mussels before I ate them. My wife’s calzone was not very good either – it had way too much ricotta cheese. So much ricotta that it oozed out as she ate it and was the only thing she tasted. We paid extra for them to add some black olives to her calzone, yet she did not taste any. She did not finish her calzone.

One big disappointment was the bread they served. When it arrived at the table, it looked amazing – golden brown with an olive oil and garlic glaze. The bread also smelled amazing. However, it had absolutely no taste – it was just a big oily grease mess. The oil on top of the bread had no flavor at all.

We will not be going back, nor can I recommend Guido’s to anyone.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank 1967foodie
Rhode Island
“Great dinner!”
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

It was about time we finally found a break from the chain restaurants while on vacation and we found it with Guidos. Nothing overly fancy just some good food and good service. From the second we were seated the waitress was very helpful in some menu choices. I had Chicken Masala which was good. Wife had eggplant and pasta which she said was very tasty even the gravy. The Guido salad was also excellent and plentiful. Whether in town or stopping through defiantly don't overlook Guidos for some good Italian food.

• Visited June 2013
Beaverdam, Virginia
“Excellent”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I went to Guido's with my teenage grandaughter because of the reviews I read on trip advisor and the food really was delicious. The mussels marinara were the best I've had since I left Jersey. My grandaughter loved her eggplant rolatini and the Veal Parm I had was also delicious. I couldnt believe spumoni was on the menu for dessert - I cant even remember when I had it last. Next time will be the true test - meatballs !!

• Visited June 2013
Miami
“Great Food”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Pizza was great, New York style House salad was to die for. A nice plus for us while we were staying at the Americamps KOA campground is they deliver!

Visited May 2013