“Pleasant surprise hidden away in Ashland, VA”

O'Bank's Cafe & Grill
Ranked #6 of 93 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American, Irish, Seafood
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: O'Banks specializes in seafood, steak, and casual fare, including Sunday brunch. Whether you want to enjoy a few beers and appetizers or a family meal, O'Bank's is the place for you.
Montpelier, Virginia
“Pleasant surprise hidden away in Ashland, VA”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I was first exposed to O'Bank's by a buddy who invited me to have lunch with him there. I enjoyed the experience, the friendliness of the waiter (Scotty) and the food so much that I took my wife back for dinner shortly after, and we again had dinner with friends there the other night. All three experiences were great, from the service to the quality and taste of the food.

O'Bank's is a small cafe with somewhat of a local pub type atmosphere. One gets the impression that a lot of locals are enjoying the bar and the restaurant facilities. Warm and friendly atmosphere, friendly staff and people and comfortable seating at tables, booths and a good-sized bar that somewhat meanders from one end of the far wall to the other. There is also a deck outside for outdoor dining. The staff is very friendly and hospitable. The service is casual but attentive. We have been able to joke around with the wait staff on each visit, but they did not allow the fact that we were joking around to affect the attentiveness and quality of service they provided - nice combination!

On my first dinner visit, I had the Shrimp & Scallop Pasta entree (Shrimp, scallops, spinach and penne pasta tossed in a piccata sauce and finished with Parmesan cheese). It was absolutely delicious and I would order it again. There was no scrimping on the seafood, the pasta tasted fresh and the sauce was delicious. My wife had a steak special for that night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The service was good, but not as attentive as I would normally prefer. Because the dining area was full and we were hungry, we opted to eat at one of the raised tables in the bar area. Unfortunately, the bar was wall-to-wall with patrons, and the bartender had trouble keeping up with bar patrons and taking good care of us. Was not bad enough to really detract from the overall experience, but for future visits we will wait for a table that is served by a dedicated wait staff and not the bartender.

The second visit for dinner was on a Thursday night, which is seafood night. We went with another couple. My buddy and I had the seafood platter special. WOW! We got a ton of seafood. I'm a big guy and I can pack it away, and many seafood platters leave me wanting more, but not this one. It contained a huge filet of Alaskan Pollock, a full snow crab (legs & claws), a bunch of steamed shrimp and some delicious fried oysters. The homemade fries were excellent, too. I had no room for dessert after this meal. My buddy felt the same way about his. My wife had the Shepherd's Pie (Fresh ground beef, diced onions, and corn gravy topped with homemade mashed potatoes.) She enjoyed it, but would not order again. She was born in the UK and her mother made it the traditional way, which is my wife's way of measuring others. This was tasty, but did not measure up to traditional British Shepherd's Pie. My buddy's wife had a Steak & Shrimp special and said that it was delicious.

O'Bank's will become a go-to place for us for a nice, tasty, casual dinner. It's a nice half-hour drive from home and well worth the drive in our opinion.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank EdGooding

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Lunch Spot”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We are always taking customers to O'Banks. There is a little bit of everything on the menu and no one ever says they can't find something they like!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Robert S
Massachusetts
“Good One to Stumble Upon”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were on our way up 95 and took a shot at this exit to find some dinner. Found this place very close to the highway and gave it a try. Very pleasantly surprised!

It's a comfort food/bar food kind of place, very casual, very comfortable. Dinner salads we fresh and crisp, calamari appetizer had a nice light coating to it. My wife had the Cobb salad which she said was very good, my daughter had the fish and chips which included two very large fillets in a tasty batter, fried just right. I had the Shepard's pie which was the only meal that wasn't so good. It was a hamburg concoction with a strange dark sauce and a few vegetables mixed in, with a big scoop of mashed potatoes thrown on top. Definitely not what I expect for Shepard's Pie (maybe it's a regional thing?).

Overall we were very pleased and we'd go back if driving through that area at dinner time again.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank PATRLR
Hockessin, Delaware, United States
“Great find!”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Thanks to the previous reviews on TA, we went to OBanks for dinner on a race weekend. It was busy but I would expect nothing less at a well rated neighborhood pub :) good beer list, good food for adults and kids.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank DEMom19707
Ashland, Virginia
“Best Restaurant in Ashland”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Nice find! We had dinner at the bar friday. Wonderful food and music! Nice selection of craft beer. But most of all the bartender was terrific. She seemed to be busy but still attentive, friendly and efficient! We had a great time. We will definitely be back!

1 Thank Dougmann3