“We would stay again”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We had a nice stay and the young lady was very nice and helpful at our check in. The hotel is in a nice quiet location just off 95, no higway noise. A bit hard to get into and see coming off the exit ramp, but very easy to get onto 95 when leaving. We stayed in room 302 , great quiet location, two queens, my wife was impressed with the room. The room was very clean and the hotel I think is only 5 yrs old. The breakfast area is very nice and spacious. We are not big on breakfast but we thought this was one nicer ones on this trip with the variety of items to chose from. A bit more expensive compared to HIE we stayed in outside A. C. NJ, last week.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Shahhe88, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express in Ashland. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and are glad that you were able to enjoy our wonderful breakfast. Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 12 May 2011

My family and I always stay at HIE during our travels and have never had a problem. On MANY occasions we have, without a reservation, pulled into a HIE as late as midnight or as early as 3a.m to get a room. However, on March 24, 2011 while traveling from southern GA to Philadelphia upon the news of the untimely death of a relative, my family (myself, husband and 7 year old) pulled into this location at 2a.m. for lodging. I was met by a very rude, cold, staff member who stated that while there were rooms available he would not rent it to me because of the hour. "That's why check in is after 3p.m.", he stated. I explained that I was more than willing to pay for a full night even thought it was 2 a.m. and that we would be checking out at 6a.m. We just needed to sleep before completing our trip. He refused to give us a room. I could have understood if there were no clean rooms or if the hotel was booked, but that there were rooms ready and available and yet he still refused to give us one leads me to believe that there was much more at work here. Again, we travel by car frequently due my husband being active duty Army and have NEVER met with this type of service from ANY hotel, least of all a HIE. I left the hotel without argument because of the hour and because my family was very emotionally and physically drained. I would not recommend this particular location to anyone and we are very disappointed by his behavior and that the HIE has that employee as a representative of their hotel.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank dawnnl

Please accept my sincere apology for the service you received. I assure you that this is not the attitude that you can come to expect from our hotel or any Holiday Inn Express. At the Holiday Inn Express in Ashland, we strive to give every guest the same excellent level of customer service and make every attempt to ensure that your stay is as comfortable as possible. Our hope is that this incident has not turned you away completely from Holiday Inn Express and we hope that you will return to stay with us soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2011

Stayed here for one night and a meeting the following day. Everything was pretty good but the bed was not very comfortable and the sheets were very gritty. Took awhile to get hot water and even then not as hot as I would have liked. All the staff that I interacted with were excellent, especially the guy working the night shift at the front desk. The meeting room was fine for our purposes. Around the hotel there are plenty of places to eat and a Starbucks right down the street (though the coffee in the hotel was actually pretty good). Overall, I didn't feel it was worth the price but wouldn't have any hesitations staying here again if i needed to.

Room Tip: Room 307 almost double the avergae hotel room size
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I stayed here for one night since I was in town for a wedding, and boy am I glad that it was only for one night. Since there aren't many great options to choose from in Ashland, I had no choice but to stay at this Holiday Inn. It's considered one of the 'best' hotels in the Ashland area, so I'm pretty scared to see how the other hotels are like! Sure the free wi-fi and hot continental breakfast was nice, but it didn't make up for the paper thin walls! I'm not sure if our room was next to an ice maker, but every 30 min or so I would be woken up to a whirring noise. At first I thought maybe it was the heater going off, but since it only lasted for 30 sec and was so consistent, I realized that it was the machine making ice. Our neighbors were early risers because around 6 am I heard them talking, and the guy also couldn't stop sneezing. I think I ended up getting maybe four good hours of sleep that night. If you don't have to stay in Ashland, or if you don't mind driving a little bit more, I would recommend finding a nicer hotel in Richmond (and probably cheaper since there are more out there), and making that drive into Ashland. Thankfully I will never have to return to that city again!

They do have a business center, fitness center, and hot tub/pool, but since my stay was so short, I did not have a chance to check out those amenities.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peylin F
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I mention our route first because we chose this hotel as a stopping point for our first night. The desk staff, very friendly on check in, is used to such travellers and for this purpose, this hotel is great. We stayed over one night.

Priorities on this trip, in order: proximity to I-95, local safety, breakfast included, reliable reputation, value for money, pleasant atmosphere. This hotel fit the bill. It's just off the I-95, north of Richmond.

We checked in late, and the front desk person (Merketa?) was very friendly and efficient and saw that we were checked in asap. Lobby was clean and modern. Corridors and rooms smelled clean. Our room was an upgrade, to a king suite, which had two rooms plus washroom, a fridge and sink and a microwave. In the separate room, a sofa and a second television. Comfy bed. Clean sheets. Quiet room. We faced the front of the hotel, which faces the main street off the I-95. No noise. My room rating is not 5 star because this isn't the Willard in Washington (and who would want the prices, anyhow). The sleep quality is not 5 star because I had trouble getting too sleep. Sheets weren't the softest I've slept on and I am a little spoiled in that regard.

I did my usual UV light check of the place (more a hobby than a phobia :) and the place was immaculate. New furnishings. Carpet in good shape.

Next morning we were up early and had breakfast at the included breakfast bar. Included in the room rate: coffee, tea, scrambled eggs, sliced ham, biscuits and gravy, english muffins, pastries, juices, selection of cereals and oatmeal. Great value.

Around the corner, a Walmart which, as much I hate going there, was convenient to get groceries for the day's trip. EVery single staff person I saw there said hello. At checkout, again, very friendly.

We make this trip down I-95 a few times a year. It is a reasonably placed stop when driving down from Buffalo. Price is right, place is reasonable, property is safe and feels safe, staff is great. Will stop here next time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IaOrana_Maruuruu
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Greeted with enthusiasm by Dante who thanked us for being Priority Members, gave us a gift and had already upgraded our room. The hotel is clean and in a good location with everything one would want close by. The fitness room and business center is open 24 hours. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank muchfuntravelin
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We stopped here during the Dec 26 snowstorm along the East Coast. Check in was quick, and while chatting with the clerk, I mentioned that while I had no reservation there, I had a prepaid reservation at another HI Express further north. The clerk (Michael) insisted on taking my information, then made several calls to get me a refund. While he was not successful that evening, he was able to give me instructions on how to get it done and even typed up a description of how to do it, leading to me successfully getting a refund. Great service.
The room itself, a standard room, was quiet, beds were comfortable, breakfast was good.
The service from the hotel front desk was outstanding.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank fjcamp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Hampton Inn Richmond-North/Ashland
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#4 of 13 in Ashland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond Ashland
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Doswell (Kings Dominion)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Richmond North Ashland? Share your experiences!