“It was nice!”

Kurt Cobain Memorial Park
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had fun visiting the memorial, there were few tourist but it looks lonely, there was no flowers or anything (makes me wish I would have bring some), it was an exceptional experience to be able to hang out for a little bit on a place where he once was, writing songs, its a little hidden and small, but totally worth it if you are a Nirvana fan!

5  Thank Brenda B

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Kurt Cobain apparently found very little happiness in Aberdeen and neither did I. It's a place that feels old, used up, forgotten. Perhaps there are people there who are imagining a way to bring the core of the town back to life. I hope they manage to ignite energy and vitality into the place again -- that would be a good thing.

Getting to the memorial park is easy enough with GPS or simply by asking anybody because everybody who lives there knows. I found the place to be just another place under a bridge, like so many other thousands of places being occupied by unhappy, lonely or just day-dreamy kids right this very minute all across this country. The Wishkah River isn't lovely here, but I love rivers, and I like to hope that Kurt found at least a little serenity here. We know his modest childhood home is just down the street, and we know there was very little happiness for him there.

It's easy for me to stand beneath this bridge and see a little blonde boy lost in his thoughts, wishing for something better in his life, wondering what it all means. It makes me want to cry for him and all the lost children.

Maybe this is a memorial park for Kurt Cobain, but to me it almost feels like a holy place that makes me want to pray for people to be better parents, less selfish.

25  Thank MLBplant
Reviewed 28 July 2014

From the "Come as you are" sign as you enter town, and this small and simple memorial park. Any Nirvana fan will feel the history of Kurt and his connection with his hated hometown of Aberdeen,WA. As a HUGE fan I was deeply touched by these small acknowledgements. If they had erected a statue and renamed half the streets in town it would have felt like the pure B.S. it would have been. Really considering that any time the subject came up, Kurt wouldn't miss the chance to slam Aberdeen. Remember he HATED this place! So a memorial had to be very low key, and I feel thats exactly whats accomplished here. There's no entry fee's, or T-Shirts on sale. or even signs. (If we hadn't had our G.P.S we wouldnt have found it.) No big cheesy puff and stuff. Just a Left-Handed guitar statue (A Fender "JagStang" the guitar Kurt designed for Fender) a couple quotes. and the river (The same river Kurts mother threw her boyfriends guns into after a fight, Kurt watched this, then later payed a friend to retrieve them and pawned them to buy a guitar. ) And underneath the bridge. Which at one low point in his life, was a better option than home for him. Kurt put Aberdeen on the map, so to speak. The town had to acknowledge that, But how they did it tells me that something very important has happened in the broken and beaten town of Aberdeen since Kurt called it home. That this town has tried to honor and remember a member of its flock who not only fled, but spoke only of its inadequacies. That they erected a tribute that Kurt wouldn't be embarrassed by. Its just a quite acknowledgment, not an attempt to cash in, not an attempt to be something its not. Just a small patch of donated land. The man who donated the land said he wasn't doing anything with it, Its just all brambles, why not make something nice for people to come to? As we drove out of town I saw two young lesbian girls walking together, lovingly holding hands. I smiled as I thought about how Kurt would have loved that. We can all only be who we are, but we can always work to fix the parts of our-self's we don't like. Aberdeen, whether they know it or not, Listened to Kurt. and like anyone who actually LISTENED to him. They are better for having known him.

20  Thank Steve C
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Make sure you get your directions before you go find this place. The small little park is at the end of a dead end road under the bridge. The town of Aberdeen just makes you feel so sad, it seems like it is really in decline. This little park is a nice quiet place on the river and you can see why Kurt came and hung out here. A nice remembrance for Kurt....

8  Thank Janko
Reviewed 3 June 2014

All the way from Melborune, Australia we came to the park and chilled under Kurts bridge. It was awesome and kind of eerie to be in such a pivotal part of Kurts childhood. A MUST for any Nirvana fan.

13  Thank Wusty