“Wonderful weekend in the River View Cottage” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Albany House

Albany House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Albany
Albany House
Ranked #1 of 2 Albany B&B and Inns
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Wonderful weekend in the River View Cottage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

Ourselves and another couple spent a wonderful fall weekend at the River View cottage across the street from the Albany House. It was a cozy, place with bedroom and bath on both main and upper levels. The beds were very comfortable and bathrooms very modern. We enjoyed an evening on patio near the Sugar River. Margie has decorated this place for comfort and relaxation!! She was also a gracious hostess! We were in the area for the New Glarus Oktoberfest and the drive from Albany to New Glarus was devine with the fall colors and quaint farms. A perfect place to enjoy southwestern WI in the fall!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mt. Dora, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Let me begin by stating THIS IS NOT A REVIEW OF A STAY. We did not stay at this location but we wanted to. It remains to be seen if we ever will. It's a sweet place (we visited, after the fact, as you will see). But our experience with this location left us with a sour taste.

Months earlier, we booked a reservation (with full payment deposit) for a Friday evening stay with another couple (also experienced B&B'ers) for a fleeting reunion on our way to visit mother and family further north. The night before our stay, I was informed of the death of my mother. We immediately phoned the location and regretfully notified them we would have to cancel and proceed directly to family matters. The Innkeeper, while professing understanding of our plight, refused to consider a refund of our deposit, promising at that point only that we could maintain a ghost reservation for a stay at some future date. We reminded them we're from Florida and a future date was not likely to happen - to which they responded with a resounding "Oh well; that's our policy!"

I understand the business model, believe me. But the circumstances would seem to have dictated a more ammenable response for a pretty serious amount of deposit. Simply stated, we were upset and the attitude added to our anxiety. About a week later, when returning home, we went out of our way to visit the location to discuss this matter with the Innkeepers. We left sorrowful and disappointed. We were issued a "gift certificate" in the name of our erstwhile companion couple, thereby relegating the issue of use of the value of our stay to a no-win situation for anyone! (a side note - while waiting for someone to answer our knock at the door, I glanced at the guest book which seemed to indicate the Inn was fully rented on the night in question - I'm just saying...). Again, we understand the business model but we think an exception should have been made in this case.

Disappointing....

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DaCheez
Madison, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

A couple weeks ago, my boyfriend surprised me with a one-night stay in this perfect little B&B for my 30th birthday. We both travel a lot, in and out of the country, and have stayed in some pretty amazing places. I was particularly pleased with the Albany House. The minute you enter, you feel at home. There was soft, classical music playing when we walked into the foyer and I was immediately impressed with the decor-- so many thoughtful details! I absolutely loved the thousands of shelved books-- a great variety, too! Our room-- Birdseye-- was so, so cozy and comfortable. The windows looked out onto the large back yard and into the garden area. The bathroom was just so cute, too-- it had a clawfoot bathtub and there were fresh flowers sitting on the shelf which made the room smell sweet. It was a little sanctuary that I wish I could have in my own home.
One of the first things we did upon checking in, after looking around a bit, was to crack open a bottle of wine and nibble on some cheese in the back yard. There was a nice little sitting area where we relaxed a bit and enjoyed the early evening. Margie, the owner, was kind enough to bring us an ice bucket for our wine to chill. We were actually really impressed by how accomodating she was with us. It was like she was family and was really happy to have us there. In the morning at breakfast-- which was probably the best I've had in years (I still talk about the bacon...wow)-- we asked Margie if she would mind telling us a little more about the place. She was more than happy to do so and we really enjoyed her company and her fun stories about the house. She was really smiley the entire time and really sweet.
I can't wait to spend another night or two here :) It would be the PERFECT place for a group of friends-- there are about 6 bedrooms including the whole attic and each room has it's own character.
We were impressed by the cost of the stay-- the breakfast alone was worth it! All in all very nice stay-- really glad we found this place and hope to stay again soon!

Room Tip: Ask what kind of bath is available-- some rooms have showers, some only baths.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Libertyville, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

I travel to WI for business every month and thought that I would try a B&B instead of a hotel. Went on the website and tried to book a one night stay. The website indicated that the min was two nights. Called and spoke with the owner. She advised not to worry about the system and that it would not be a problem. So, as advised I booked the one night and when I arrived a week later upon check out was charged for two nights.

A few other guests were eating breakfast and were within ear shot, so I did not make a scene about the charge but did inquire. The owner, rather than explaining, pulled out a receipt from the internet and advised that it did in fact say two nights. Rather than make a stink in from of other guests I went about my way. Later that day, I wrote an e-mail to the owner voicing my displeasure and referencing our phone call. The owner did not respond for days and when she did indicated that it was my fault for not looking closely at the computer reservation!

I am in the client services business and this is not a way to run a small (word of mouth) business. I rarely write any sort of review, but thought that I would warn anyone who uses the online system to in fact just make a reservation over the phone. The hotel bill was in the neighborhood of $350 - which really isin't worth the quality of accomdations or the lack there of a town.

I will never do business with the Albany House again and will make it my personal crusade to spread negative word of mouth about this business. So Albany house, you are out $,4,000 per year min for just my business hotel stays.

Rooms: marginal condition, no hot water and a very expensive night.

NO THANKS.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank popolin77
Arlington Hts, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

A great little get away just 40 minutes from Madison and only 20 minutes from Monroe, WI. 102 year old house with delightful rooms loaded with antiques and interesting books. Each room is a little different but all with a cozy feeling of being wrapped in a soft blankie of relaxation. Comfy bed and wood burning fireplace in the room we stayed in. Margie and Ken are the ideal innkeepers and make every effort in making sure your visit is enjoyable. Superb breakfast and great restaurant suggestions. This was our third visit and we are looking forward to returning in the summer to view the gardens. Close to nature trails, as well as local sites in New Glarus and Monroe. Great ride through the countryside all on good clear roads despite the recent snow. A must for any season for those who enjoy some time away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

Just finished my second stay at the Albany House. This place is wonderful! I highly recommend! I felt compelled to write a review since this place is so great yet there only have been a couple reviews. Those were both good reviews...but they were kind of dated. First of all, the breakfasts are delicious....definitely better than any other B&B where my wife and I have stayed. I have had a total of five breakfasts there now and have never been disappointed. This morning we had quiche with five cheeses, homemade scones, muffins, fresh juice, a fruit dish, delicious coffee, etc... Yesterday, there were rhubarb muffins, pound cake, a french toast puff, fruit, ham, etc.... It's restaurant quality and we are usually full enough that we just end up having a snack later in the afternoon. The Albany House is both well decorated and wonderfully landscaped. Unlike many b&bs which I feel are so overly decorated become a little gaudy, Margie is a wonderful decorator and it's extremely tasteful and comfortable.

The location is also terrific. The town of Albany itself is not altogether that exciting, but you are right by the main biking trail that connects several nearby citites....and you are within a very easy drive of a lot of great area towns including New Glarus, Monticello, Monroe, etc.... Not to mention that Madison is only about 30 minutes or so away.

The owners/proprietors are Margie and Ken. They are both delightful and easy to chat up. Margie usually hangs out in the dining room for awhile after breakfast, and I have run into Ken several times out in the yard and he is always very friendly.

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2006

I was on a business trip and needed to stay in Albany, so as to be close to my client. There are no hotels in town. I found the House online and thought I'd take the chance. I am glad I did. The house is on a large, well-gardened lot. It is a very attractive, full two-strory house. The first floor is beautifully appointed and comfortable. My bedroom was quite comfortable and large enough. The bathroom was a little small.

Margie, the innkeeper, is very gracious and a wonderful cook. I will stay there again if I need to return

• Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank mrbenefits
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albany
Super 8 Monroe WI
Super 8 Monroe WI
#1 of 3 in Monroe
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Monroe

Been to Albany House? Share your experiences!