“Winter Kusatsu Kiyoshigekan”

Kiyoshigekan
Singapore, Singapore
“Winter Kusatsu Kiyoshigekan”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

So sorry that I just remember that I did not write my review for my stay on 20 Feb 2013 in Kiyoshigekan.

A one night stay in Kiyoshigekan is really good experience but regret that we went there in mid Feb which is really too cold for us (-11 degree). The location is a bit too far for us during winter as all the roads are covered with snow and quite slippery but normal day will be very nice for a slow walk. Shigeta-san is very friendly and can speak a bit English which really make it more easy, comfortable and convenient for us to communicate by email or when we are there. We have a 6 tatami mat size room and also added their wonderful IRORI dinner. Very nice room but we forgotten to take the room picture before we mess up the room with our belonging so no photos. Our room is with good winter view of the main road and also the mountain, we have a great snow view by the window. Toilet in the room is a bit small for those that is big size and tall. I did not try the outdoor bath as the weather is really too cold. The indoor bath is nice and warm. Don't miss the IRORI dinner in winter, it is very nice and worth for money. The dinner served with hot pot, IRORI fish, sashimi, etc. We both really cannot finish all the dishes.

Kusatsu Onsen is a very beautiful town with cozy little town center. The main attraction Yubatake locate at the middle of the town center and surrounding with nice little shops and restaurants. It will be nice to go again not during winter and Kiyoshigekan will be a good choice for friends or couple trip that do not mind a brief walk together.

Room Tip: Room facing the main road as you will have a great view of nice mountains.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Maroochydore
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Kusatsu. The Ryokan was a little tricky to find at first and was a short 10 minute walk into town. The separate baths for ladies and gents were excellent with a lovely outside tub as well. (sulphur was the first thing I smelt in the morning).The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Miln4558
Singapore
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Two of us stayed 3 nights in mid April. Location is not in the town centre but can be reached by foot. Pick up service was not included but the owner was very kind to pick us from the Bus Terminal and as our departure was early in the morning he also drove us to the Bus Terminal.
We find the room, futons, covers to be very clean. The only improvement we would recommend is that they instal hot tap at the sink in the room as it was still cold when we were there.
There were several onsens (including one leg onsen at the entrance) and as it was low season, we could use it as private onsen.
The owner speaks English and this is helpful for getting directions and sights to go.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2013

well worth the trip out to the mountains of Gunma prefecture. Kusatsu is a beatiful onsen town with a lot to offer; yumomi dances, shrines, temples, the hot water field, eating, shopping, skiing etc. Kiyoshigekan is, in my opinion, the best Ryokan in the area. It's a little older and less lavish than some establishments, but you can't beat the value of the room prices. The food is spectacular and the baths sublime. Theres a private rooftop rotenburo (outdoor bath) which can be reserved at pretty much anytime for mixed bathing, and the two sex segregated rotenburo can be used for the same after 9pm. There's also an indoor family bath and, on the lower floor, a semi-outdoor foot bath. Service is friendly and personal. My all time favourite place in Japan.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Siahn 詩杏 D
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

The location is bit too far from the town center compare to those with similar price level. The food arrange by the ryokan is decent but don't expect much, it's quite plain not fit to a strong taste preference of mine. Bath place is good though, especially they provide private area.

• Stayed February 2013
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I chose this ryokan off the Kusatsu website because they seemed to be able to handle business in English. The man who runs the place (Naoto Shigeta) is very friendly and can speak a little English. All instructions for use of the facility are in English and are very easy to understand. The place offers free wifi which is great for out of country customers.

The food offering is very good and the IRORI dinner is quite a treat if you've never had that style before. The dinner offering is quite large, so don't spoil your dinner by eating a big or late lunch. Breakfast and dinner are served promptly (8 and 6 respectively) as is expected in Japan, so being a bit late to any meal will only mean you get to eat it cold.

The baths are well maintained and are also 24 hour and turn into private use during off hours (I believe 9pm - 6am) for people who want them. I've stayed at ryokans that do not have 24 hour baths sometimes, so this was a definite plus.

If I were go to go to Kusatsu again, I would consider staying here again. It is a brief walk from the center of town and can give you a real taste of Japanese culture and cuisine!

Room Tip: I stayed in the main building so that is where I can share my experiences from. The 6 tatami mat is...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank afuzzyllama
Luebeck, Germany
Reviewed 23 January 2013

It stayed in Kiyoshigekan a few days after New Year and it became one of the highlights of my 3-week-trip thru Japan. The japanese style room and the service were perfect. But it was all topped by the rotenburo. After 8pm it is possible to make it a private rotenburo. So I was sitting there, outdoor, -8°C (18°F), at night. The water was hot, but because of the air temperature not too hot for a European. And then it began to snow. Awesome.

I booked a japanese styled room with toilet but without shower. This is all you need. You can bath in the public bath room. I booked this room because a prefer a private toilet. It is more convenient for me. The room was big and very japanese style.

I booked the room with dinner and breakfast. It is expensive (like always in Japan) but worth the money. Really. If you are short on money, you might think about booking without dinner. But if you stay more than one night, you should consider to book at least one night with dinner.

Getting there: It is a 15min walk from the bus station. There are also signs (not big, but you will find them, if you know they exist). But be careful: In wintertime the street might be iced and difficult to walk if you have a big trolley. But it is doable.

But be aware, that in the winter time it is a little bit chilly outside your room. You have a heater in your room, but not in the hallways. Note that this is not a problem of Kiyoshigekan. Every Ryokan I stayed was a little bit chilly outside the guest rooms. This is something totally normal in Japan (and maybe this is something realized only be Germans like me). But, at Kiyoshigekan there is a nice onsen at the end of this hallway waiting for you.

If I ever visit Kusatsu again, I definitely will book at Kiyoshigekan again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo