“Food was amazing!”

Dining options: After-hours
Joliet, Illinois
“Food was amazing!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Skaliwags is a dive bar that makes amazing food! I would go there again in a heartbeat. I do not recommend it for anyone looking to have a quiet romantic dinner, but for any other occasion it works perfectly!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Carla Jo S

Oak Forest, Illinois
“Great dive bar/restaurant”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Not having been here before we didn't know what to expect. What we found was good service but fabulous food. The menu changes daily as the fish is flown in fresh each day. What they put out from the small kitchen would rival many 4&5 star restaurant s. I don't know what our meal cost because prices are not posted on the board. My wife said her waloo was the best seafood she has ever had. My scallops would rival any.

3 Thank Irishmyst49
Chicago, Illinois
“Very Good Food”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This place was recommended all the way from Chicago. Thought the food and presentation was very good. I am guessing this is more of a special occasion as prices were a bit more than I anticipated for this area (only prices are listed on the special board at the front of the restaurant) but well worth it. Get there early to sit in the bar. Great mix of locals and visitors. Staff were both friendly and helpful with the menu.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Lisa_Chi_town
Madison, Wisconsin
“5 Star Dive Bar”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My sister lives in Algoma and has been talking about the 5-star dive bar for the last year. So when we visited, we had to go. It was outstanding! The restaurant is small, noisy and very busy, especially on the weekend. There are only 4 or 5 small tables plus about 10-12 bar seats. However, they just opened a dining room in the building next door that adds another 10 tables or so. But the decor of the new space is pretty bland right now -- doesn't have the character of the bar area. They specialize in fresh seafood -- many of the fish I head never heard of before. There is no menu -- the entrees are written on a couple chalk boards. But the waiters are very knowledgeable and will make recommendations about what is good that night. Try the seafood trio -- you get a small sample of the 3 best fish for the night. I had uku. Never heard of it before but it was outstanding. It is more pricey than other restaurants in the area, but well worth it.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Steve H
Plainwell, Michigan
“Must Go At Least Once!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Skaliwags was recommended to us with the tip to be there when it opens because it fills up fast. I am thinking this is Thursday in May, really? Fortunately we did because it is very small, maybe 40 seats plus people eating at the bar, and well within the hour is was full. We had a very good time; the Captain and his First Mate are very engaging. They had recently reopened after a winter break. They love what they are doing and for no other reasons Skaliwags is a funky, fun experience. So why the hesitation? While we had a good time I am not sure I would go back. The food was good, nice offering of fresh fish and quality ingredients, but there was something missing in the preparation that I think they need to justify the check. The kitchen is more of a short order line and they need to tighten up the execution.
They have plans for an outdoor area and separate building for reservation dining. I will be looking back at future reviews how it's going.

• Visited May 2014