“Girls Weekend Fun!”
Review of Hotel de Ville

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alma
Hotel de Ville
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Alma
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Girls Weekend Fun!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

What an amazing place! It is very charming and cozy. We had the Swan and Eagle Suites, so basically the whole house on the riverside. Dan, the proprietor, is an amazing and gracious host who adores his properties. What a treasure! We will be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kerit71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I travelled to Alma for my 18th birthday. We stayed at Hotel de Ville in the Fountain Suite. It was a charming place! The rooms were full of history, from globes to books to beautiful wallpaper! As a history lover, this was the perfect place for me! The gardens were also a bonus. They were beautiful and were made with love. The owner was very personable and a great story teller. I truly enjoyed seeing the passion he has for what he does. All in all, everything about Alma was perfect and the hotel made it even better. I would definitely recommend Hotel de Ville!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank autumnfall555
milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Loved our stay. (Could have done without the frequent night trains, but we had been warned...earplugs recommended) Having lived in France for several months back in the 70's, I felt like I had been transported back in time. Yet the updated bathroom fit in wonderfully. Attention to details was apparent everywhere. Pictures, knick knacks, upholstery, wallpaper, wineglasses...all were special touches. The garden was spectacular when we visited in September. I wish we could have spent more time hanging out. The piped in music added to the ambience. Dan gave us a tour and a history of the renovation, as well as suggestions for breakfast the next day (We took the ferry to the Float & had a breakfast experience like none other) This was a great mid-point for our WInery Tour on the Great River Road. Will be back!

Room Tip: If flowers are in bloom, ask to be near the Garden
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank fischmom
Calmar
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Wow, is all I can say! This hotel is beautiful! We were lucky enough to have the Eagle Suite for our wedding anniversary. Yes, it is right on the train tracks. I was warned ahead of time thru reviews and on the website that there could be noise problems. Earplugs... simple as that. If trains bother you, wear earplugs. I really don't understand why others complained about this. It's written everywhere that trains go thru (and close). If you drive into town you see the train tracks. Common sense goes along way here...

The suite was amazing. I told my husband when we walked in that I wanted to live there! The decor was perfect. The owner was wonderfully helpful. He stopped in to chat with us and make sure we were all set for the night. Shared history on the town, the hotel. Recommended places to visit, restaurants to eat at.

All in all, a great time. Yes the trains come thru often and are noisy, but as I said, we knew this coming into it. We worked around it.

I know we would come back again!

Room Tip: The Eagle Suite was beautiful!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn A
lakeville
Reviewed 16 October 2013

What a gem. We came in late and were shocked to get an ENTIRE HOUSE to stay in for cheaper than a hotel room anywhere else. The decor is charming and very well done. We really felt comfortable, welcome, and at home. The gardens out back(we were next to the gypsy wagon store and ice cream shop) were like the gardens we saw when we were in Italy. We definitely would have spent more time back there with our coffee or a bottle of wine if we weren't in a time crunch. Since we came in late we did not meet the owner until the next morning. He was a wealth of local history and information on where to go and what to do. We will return as soon as possible with the whole family!

Room Tip: All "rooms" are actually full apartents or houses. The side of the road where the ice crea...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tracyi976
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 October 2013

As someone mentioned in a previous review, I too wanted to love this place. But alas, it didn't come close to meeting my standards. My husband and I stayed in one of two buildings, unfortunately the one directly next to the railroad tracks. The trains ran all night long, sounding their horn and seemingly coming right through our room. Just when I was nodding off, another train roared by. Needless to say, we didn't sleep a wink. I appreciate the effort the owner is trying to make by reviving this lovely Victorian building, but without actually moving the building, it's just not going to get repeat business. He also needs to find a better housekeeper. There were several cobwebs, complete with spiders, throughout the room and a pretty thick layer of dust on the furnishings.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jackie061810
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This looked like a unique and memorable place, so we spent our anniversary here. The rooms were interesting and historically decorated. Everything was clean. The owner was friendly. But we barely slept a wink. Maybe it is just a problem for us, but being six feet from a highway on one side, and a few yard from two sets of railroad tracks on the other, it was not a quiet or peaceful night. Many trains went by, shaking the whole building and many semi trucks rattled by through the night. By the way, we were also disappointed that there were no nice restaurants in town. So, not the best choice of places to visit for us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DRKMnTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alma
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Lake City
Alexander Mansion Bed & Breakfast
Draft Horse Inn
Draft Horse Inn
#1 of 1 in Arcadia

Been to Hotel de Ville? Share your experiences!