“One night in Manaus...”
Review of Hotel Colonial

Hotel Colonial
Ranked #76 of 192 Speciality Lodging in Manaus
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were en route to our Amazon expedition in the early morning and only booked this hotel because we needed a place to sleep. Needless to say, this review will only be focused on our experience as we needed the accommodation: a clean, room and fresh sheets. That's it.
We did arrive at midnight, so we did not see the hotel and were probably still jet-lagged from our flight. But we did smell the pungant scent of bleach in the first room the attendant tried to put us in (HE was very nice, by the way - no complaints on the service and helpfulness of the gentleman). The initial room was downstairs - beside the furnace and broom closet. Not inviting. He showed us to the room, and I literally had to hold my breath for the entire time. The bleach and stufiness of the room was just too much. Thankfully, I think he understood and moved us to another room, without any hesitation at all. This one was actually quite lovely (on the first floor, as you enter the reception area) with really high ceilings. However, the smell was still there. Not as stuffy, but the smell of bleach was still present. It was also vert loud, we had to sleep wtih our earplugs in. I did not feel safe or clean - I slept in my clothes, as did my husband.

Maybe it was just our impression of the area and arriving so late in Manaus, but it was pretty shady. There was a bug crawling out of our couch, at one point...the value for the money though was great - I think we paid about 75.00 CAD with the conversion rate; so I guess we got what we paid for....

Room Tip: do NOT go into the basement
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1ForTheLoveofTravel1

Reviewed 29 February 2012

I spent my last night here after a 5 days trip in the jungle in the middle of Feb. I was so happy about this choice. Here everybody is very friendly and always trying to help whenever I had any quesition. The breakfast was great with fruit, fresh juice, toasts, etc. Really liked the atmosphere there. About the transportation to the airport, I was told the suttle bus was very close to the hotel, but I didn't take the bus since they gave me a good price to drive me to the airport. I would highly recommend it to any one who would like to have a stay in Manaus.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Michelley23
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Initially I was a little sceptical about booking at the Colonial as I would have preferred something a little more remote and quiet but I luckily decided on this place at the last minute.
If the price does not entice u the service, the cleanliness and the AMAZING breakfast should.
Also if u are coming into Manaus by boat it is just 5 minutes from the port and less than 60 seconds from the bus stop that will take u to the airport, saving u a good deal of much needed cash.
Do yourself a favour and listen to Auntie K.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank travellin_blues
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Pros: Very friendly and willing family hotel. Very cheap compared to other accommodation in Brasil. Very good value for money.

Cons: Nobody speaks English. Noisy street.

Room Tip: Ask room further from the street.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JirkaM
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Had a great staying in this hotels clean rooms and great staff. They were very helpful getting me a good price ticket for a travel to Santarem by boat. Also very helpful with arranging taxi and transport to and from airport. The location is more or less downtown, close to about everything!

Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Geir S
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I highly recommend Hotel Colonial for the accommodation it provides and more importantly for the kindness and helpfulness of the owner, Celio, as well as all the staff. My adult daughter and I stayed in the hotel a night before going and two nights after returning from a lodge in the Amazon. The double rooms we had were very clean and a good size; the beds were a bit hard but comfortable; the air conditioning good; the fridge well stocked with cheap beer, soft drinks and water, the breakfast fairly basic but tasty and the hotel is clse to all the attractions and transport. But it was the kindness, generosity, honesty and helpfulness of Celio that really impressed us. We left our passports and all our cards and money with Celio when we went to the lodge which initially concerned me but was un-necessarily as they were totally safe in Celio's care. When we returned from the lodge, Celio appeared at the dock to take us to the hotel because he had been personally concerned about us because we did not speak Portuguese, which turned out to be lucky because the tour operator who was to take us from the dock to the hotel did not turn up. Celio even stayed around to help another group who were also expecting for the tour operator to turn up to take them to the airport. On our last day when the tour operator had promised to take us for a quick look at the Meeting of the Waters before taking us to the airport, it was Celio and his wife who ended up taking us as well as on a side trip to 'fish' for piracuru (which was great fun). As another guest at the hotel told me, Celio will take you around to see different places in Manaus for petrol money and will help you organise other things (this would probably be more easy if you speak Portuguese as Celio does not speak English although we managed to get by with him). We were very happy with the hotel and impressed with Celio as a person, and it is his integrity and sense of personal responsibility which makes him provide the best service to his guests that he can.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front near the reception are the largest, but I preferred the other room at the bac...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary P
Reviewed 14 November 2011

If you are in a budget, this place is a very good option. Comparing to prices in other places in Manaus, it is almost cheap. The building was renewed and everything works fine. Plus, the owner is very nice and ready to help you a lot.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple