“Busted Trip”
Review of Amazon Backpackers

Amazon Backpackers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Amazon Backpackers with over 22 years experience shows you the Amazon like no one, we do what everybody does but no one does what we do.We organize 1 to 45 days expeditions, jungle tours, boat trips, survival training, tree climbing, visit of Indigenous communities. We operate in the Juma reserve, Tupana reserve, Mamiraura Reserve and Jau Natioal Park.
Reviewed 24 November 2013

In september i e-mailed back and forth to a jack at Manaus Booking who it turns out works in the office of Amazon Backpacking. I arranged a trip to go Peacock bass fishing with him when i was in Manaus on another river tour. Jack told me he would pick me up at the dock, transfer me to lodge, fishing with guide, meals and lodging and transfer back. I asked cost and he gave me a figure. I paid him via paypal. On the agreed time his agent was an hour late in picking us up and lied as to the reason for his lateness. We were than driven to the Amazon Backpacking office and met Jack who than demanded more money. I refused showing him the e-mails. He wanted me to stay longer and said it was a long way. To make a long story short he refused to do what he had agreed unless i paid more. He is a crook! He would not do what he had agreed too and tried to get me to pay double the amount he originally stated. In the end he did give me money back less the taxi cost which i would not have needed but i did not go fishing and was stuck in Manaus for two more days. Do not do business with this man! I have booked hundreds of trips all over the world and have never had this experience.

5  Thank MnTreker
There are newer reviews for Amazon Backpackers

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Our trip with the guide Pauolo was amazing .
He was so funny and made our trip very good and unforgetable .
we went fishing for piranas and saw pink dolphins
Paoulo was very kind and made us feel very safe in the middle of the jungle, so is the family that host us in the lodge . The food was homade and was very good and tasty
we didnt miss anything like food or cold water .
the owner Claudio was very nice and made us very comfortable .
very very recommended.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Our trip was fantastic. The guides were friendly and knowledgeable. The tour around the city was great. The hostel was comfortable and the breakfast was delicious. The buffet to which we went after visiting the meeting of the rivers was also great. In the jungle we stayed at a floating house in the Juma river.

The house had a shower, fan, electricity, and a toilet. In addition to serving us food, they also let you keep a tab of beer, soda, and capirinha consumed so you could pay at the end. When we slept in the jungle, the guide brought everything: food, drinks, and a net to sleep on (with a mosquito net on top).

Sometimes the process may seem disorganized because many people are involved in making the trips happen, but the agency will take good care of you. At the end, for example, I had to pay for my transport back to the airport, but because we had previously negotiated that it was included, they reimbursed me via Paypal. These guys are the best.

I've checked out other tours and this is the best deal available. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Originally I was going to go straight into doing a 5 day full immersion into the jungle and decided at the last minute to take it one step at a time. Amazon backpackers were very accommodating with my last minute change. My first couple days Marcello was my guide his knowledge of the medicinal attributes of the vegetation was very educational and his story telling was very entertaining I highly recommend him. I was fortunate to meet a group of really great european folks who made the trip so much more entertaining. I decided to stay longer and take several tours, my guide Paulo Puentes was amazing he did everything possible to make it as comfortable, fun and entertaining he was very patient and knowledgeable. I would go back in a heartbeat it was great to really get away with no Internet or phone access a true detox vacation away from civilization. The lodge I stayed at owned by Saba was comfortable, the food was great and his family was really attentive, I trully miss my hammock on his large veranda and the amazing caipirinhas they made. Thank you for an amazing experience I hope to back soon!

Natalia

1  Thank Natalia176
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Although our 5 day tour in the Amazon was not exactly like the program we received when we booked it, it was still a fun and unique experience. We spent our days catching our own fish, hiking, canoeing, and chilling in the jungle! In the Jungle Lodge we had some great food (and caiperinhas :-)) and met some lovely people, including our guide Paulo Puentes! Paulo was a lot of fun (which, let's face it, is important if you're going to spend a week with him in the jungle) and knowledgeable. Together with the other guide Marcelo (don't know the last name, sorry) we went deeper into the jungle to spend the night sleeping in hammocks in the open air. Marcelo and Paulo's storytellling, the darkness of the jungle and the sounds of the animals coming alive at night, made this an experience not to forget!

1  Thank Sofie V