“Great Hostel”

Ranked #7 of 179 Speciality Lodging in Manaus
Berlin, Germany
“Great Hostel”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This Hostel in Manaus, Brazil is one of the best I stayed in. The family who runs this Hostel is super nice and helpful. They used to have only bunk bed rooms but they are currently bulding new two bed and family bedrooms. Me and my boyfriend got one of these freshly reovated rooms with bathroom en-suite. Everything is clean and the garden is great to relax. I highly recommend a stay in this Hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2013

You really do feel very welcome at this hostel. Luis in particular went out of his way to ensure our stay was comfortable. We'd booked a double room and received a 4 bed dorm as a result of their current renovation project. This was fine. It was very spacious and comfortable in an atmospheric old brick style room. The air conditioning was a welcome feature however you need to ask staff to make any adjustments for you. Staff there let us use a locker and held our luggage whilst we took a tour into the Amazon.

Breakfast is basic enough with some tapioca, coffee and bread on offer. The hostel is close to a great local pizza restaurant (staff can advise) and is a short enough walk into the main part of town.

As expected in this climate there is a lot of rain so ensure you have adequate time to dry clothing if you decide to do washing. We had to use the air conditioner.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Broome, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We loved this hostel, all the reception staff are really friendly and helpful, Freda, her husband and their son are all great too! Really make you feel at home.
They are in the process of renovating the downstairs rooms, making a bigger kitchen, and also double rooms with ensuites!
We thought the breakfast was good - tapiocas, fruit, coffee, fresh juice, toasted sandwiches.
Louis, the receptionist booked us on a great day trip, exploring the amazon so definitely ask about this tour.
We did book a double room through booking.com but received an email almost immediately saying that they had no double beds, this was a little disappointing but we decided to stay anyway as we had heard great things.
We also organised an airport transfer which was easy and stress free.
All the other positives make up for the little hiccup of the beds.
We didn't feel entirely safe walking around too late at night, but i guess thats the same all over Brazil!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Whitefish, Montana
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I travelled with 2 friends from the United States - we arranged to stay at Big Hostel before arriving in Brazil - our transportation was at the airport with a smiling driver and a ride as promised to the hostel - it was almost 1am when we arrived and we were greeted with smiles and great service! The hostel is clean, the air conditioning is a welcomed treat! Food was good! We enjoyed our stay so much and loved the staff that we arranged to return there after our jungle tour (that they helped us arrange at last minute) and we returned yet again when we returned to Manaus at the end of our trip before returning home! Every encounter was wonderful! Staff friendly and helpful and eager to recommend places to see, eat, etc and give tips! We are so thankful for big hostel and their great staff!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 531EmilyK
Salvador
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My family and I had a delightful stay at Big Hostel Brasil in January. The owners and staff were not only friendly and approachable, but they also shared with us many wonderful stories from their lives. The room was impeccably clean, the food was savory (which we RARELY say as vegetarians), and the air condition was perfect. The staff was always patient, thoughtful and accommodating, and after 2 stressful weeks in the jungle the hotel certainly felt warm and welcoming - like home. We would certainly go back to visit our new friends and to stay there again. Jennifer, Nick, Lennox & Ayala

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jennifer o
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Stayed 6 nights at R110 a night as solo traveller in upstairs private room (6 bunk bed dorm closed off to make private) with shared bathroom. Late night hassle free airport transfer for R50. Very central with 2 block walk to central park area. WIFI in room and throughout worked well at all times. Not a lot to do in Manaus itself and very warm this time of year. Sitting area with fan and washing machine to do clothes (R15 per load). Aircon in room between 6pm and 8am only. Water and drinks available. Shop close by and Internet cafe across the road for uploading photos etc. Room is basic but always had a good sleep. Shower functional and clean. Family run with limited English but the owners are extremely well suited to the service industry and do it extremely well. Very easy to feel at home here. There are English speaking staff available at least one shift a day. We had a problem with a tour which they made right immediately going to the extent of paying for a further 1 day tour costing R80...without me needing to get too uptight about it. Breakfast comprises real buns and cheese with scrambled eggs most days. Coffee / tea and juice etc. Perfect for a before and after Amazon trip and also very easy to spend a week here catching up on real world stuff. I'm not sure if it is the best in Manaus and it is not perfect but the owners and staff more than compensate for any shortcomings and I wouldn't bother looking for an alternative if I was to be back in Manaus. Transfer had to cancel on final morning due to family illness and owners willingly offered to drive me to the airport. The service here can not be faulted.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I stayed at Big Hostel Brasil from January 14th-21st, 2013 and booked a four day jungle trek directly from the hostel for the middle of my stay. As I was a female traveling alone and it was my first time to Brazil, I was a bit nervous when I first arrived in Manaus, but staying at the Big Hostel Brasil made me feel like I had just moved in with my long lost Brazilian family and I really felt like the took care of me during my one week there as a "sola" traveler. Luis works the reception and also speaks the most English. He was very helpful and even called a hotel for me in the next town that I was visiting so that I could book. Andres and his wife Frida have been running the hostel for about ten months now and have done an excellent job making their guests feel right at home. Their son Andres also works at reception and was always ready to help if I needed. He can often seen practicing his guitar in the lounge room just next to reception. There is a kitchen and a small breakfast of juice, coffee, bananas, and bread that Frida told me that they have plans to expand and more showers are also in the works. The hostel was clean and the rooms on the bottom floor stayed very cool with the AC, which is really important with e humidity of Manaus. It is about a ten minute walk to the Teatro Amazonas that only requires one right turn from the hostel, but what I found was a big bonus of staying at the Big Hostel Brasil that is different from staying next to the theatre, is the nice park right next to the hostel. Having the park on one side of the hostel makes you somehow feel like you are not in the middle of a chaotic city and the park makes for a nice walk at any time of the day. It even has a nice playground for kids and a couple of restaurants lining the park. Frida and Andres took several of the Big Hostel Brasil guests there on the last night and we had some nice churrasco! I would also recommend the jungle tour with Eduardo. It's not fancy and is one of the cheapest that you will find (150 BRL per day), but you will get a taste of the Amazon without paying an entire month's salary to do so. Note: It is linked to the Amazing Tours agency website so if you book a 3 or 4 day trip through them, you will most likely be going on the same tour that is offered through Big Hostel Brasil. Thank you - Frida, Andres, Andres, and Luis for all your help! I definitely recommend staying with them during your time in Manaus! You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Aim for a room on the bottom floor, as they are quieter and cooler!