“Worst night of my life”

Ranked #5 of 186 Speciality Lodging in Manaus
London, United Kingdom
“Worst night of my life”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The thing that made this hostel such a terrible place wasn't the location (totally out of the way), the bed (more waves than the amazon river), the breakfast (bread and fruit) or the AC (no remote, I got sick in a 21c room). All these things are fine at this location and price. The problem with this place is the incompetent staff who have no control over the obnoxious party crowd. After a long trip back from the amazon, we waited for the shouting and screaming, loud music and cooking (!) to die down at 11, quiet time supposedly. After a visit to the reception, we thought we could now sleep, this is 11:30 pm. We were awaken at 2 am by drunken shouting and singing and moving of furniture to set up for their after party on the rooftop patio right above our private room. A visit to reception proved useless so after getting into a fight with the offenders, we finally got to sleep by 4:30 ish just to be awaken by staff at 5:45 am re-setting the tables on the roof top for breakfast. Guess what the partiers from the night before were doing? Sleeping soundly in the quiet dorms on the opposite side of the hostel. We were packed and out of there at 9 am and found a better place. Manaus is generally a crap hole but this was just plain torture.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank jdcamp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 24 July 2012 via mobile

Although the hostel has a great patio area, that is about all the good I can say. They do provide laundry service but I am not sure I would trust them to get my clothes back.

After confirming my reservation, I was told a driver would get me at the air. Whe I arrived there was no driver. The taxi cost me a few more dollars.

The living area is big but the couches stink. My room has a very strong urine smell.

The people working there are not helpful at all. Some don't speak English. The wifi isn't reliable. I asked one worker if I should leave my bags in the room until I switched my room later, he literally said he just got off work and to ask someone else.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Auburnalum1998

Travellers are raving about these Manaus hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed here twice, the first time our reserved double room was occupied, so we were moved to a double room without bathroom, OK, but nothing special. When we came back from the jungle our reservation had been deleted, and the rooms without bathroom proposed just disgusting. Shame because the owner who tried to sort us out seems a nice guy, just hope he can sort out his staff.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank jburgerh
Ross on Wye
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed for 1 night, didn't need a booking. The man on reception (think he may be the owner) was unhelpful when we asked for advice about booking a boat ticket, told us that a ticket seller came a couple of times a week, then when he arrived, it turned out he couldn't get tickets for what we wanted. Much easier to walk down to the dock and buy tickets from the official seller there (as advised by another guest).

Communal area was quite nice and comfortable. We didn't use the kitchen, but it would have been a struggle, too small.

Given that their website makes a big deal out of being the 'original hostel Manaus', it seems they have a real chip on their shoulder about better priced, friendlier hostels with better facilities up the road. We stayed at Hostel Trip Tour Manaus after a few days in the jungle - much friendlier, better value, wish we'd gone there to begin with.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are better hostels in Manaus just up the road
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin Laura U
Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed in a double before leaving to go into the jungle with the tour company (Antonio's) based out of here.
It's basic. The shared bathrooms were relatively clean. The kitchen was pretty disgusting though and far too small. While I was cooking there were people srubbing their underwear in the sinks where the dishes are washed, which was pretty off-putting. Our room was right in the lobby and very noisy up until 11pm - when there is a quiet rule.
A few minor things really bugged us though. The first was the amount of sleeping people dossing down everywhere - on the sofas in the lobby/common area and on the rooftop where they serve breakfast. They were everywhere.
Also the jungle trips leave at 7am - and breakfast is supposed to be serve at 6.30am. It wasn't ready by the time we left.
The other thing - which left a bit of a bad taste - was on our return from the jungle. You can pay six or seven real to have a shower and store your bags if you are waiting for plane/bus out. Which is great - except for when I asked for a towel they refused!
The junle tours I can highly recommend - absolutely fantastic, and a great price.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AHV
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The room in the basement had a very strong and not nice smell. The rooms upstairs are much better. Breakfast was decent

• Stayed January 2011