“Great place”

Ranked #14 of 111 Hotels in Salvador
Rome, Italy
“Great place”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We spent just a night at Bahiacafè last august. Everything was perfect: excellent breakfast, with a large choice of fruit and sweets, clean and comfortable rooms, kind staff. The building is a typical bahian house (just mind the stair especially when you bring up your case!) with original pavement and furniture. Closed to the city center, it's a good choice for a quick visit of Bahia.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Beautifully decorated hotel in the heart of the historic city centre. Walking distance to main sites of interest, great shops, elevator (mercado modelo), restaurants, and live music. Hotel staff speak English and are helpful, although information can be vague so be specific about what you want to know. Room sometimes smells like a dirty mop after initial cleaning. Breakfast buffet is excellent for selection and flavour. Beach and nightlife is accessible by bus or taxi. I would definitely recommend this one and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
San Francisco
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I could give this hotel a 2 star were not consider the front desk guy who is very helpful and dedicated. The hallway smells and the room is small, dark and smell funny. The stairway to clime to the room is quite steep; I was quite nervous every time I used it. There is nobody to help us on luggage on the day we check out; I have to drag the luggage down the stair step by step. No coffee maker in room, no screen on the window and have to shut them all day to avoid the mosquito. If you want to have a local map you have to pay. Pelourinho is very depressing and I felt I am the prisoner since tourist police guard every corner of the square to don’t let tourist side track to the alley, which I was told is very dangerous! I will stay at Barra instead of the old town, which has much better and affordable hotel and not facing poverty 24 hours.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Terrific position, decent and a little arty rooms and valuable breakfast. Bahiacafe is a fantastic medium budget choice for those want to explore the heart of pelourinho. No elevators, so pay attention to the stairs if you're staying at the second color. The guys at the concierge were very helpful and arranged a pick-up car to Praia do forte at a reasonable cost, far less than what the tourist offered. Enjoy salvador and boa sorte.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I feel a bit sorry to give such a Bad review for this hotel but during our several stays in south
America we never had such a noisy, smelly room, noisy hotel.
We had the room nr one which is the worst one you CAN get, ever, it should not be rented, or not at that price.
In the first floor, in between the all area and close to breakfast room, so every moring be sure to be
Awake at 5-5 30, plus all the gest walking and shouting in the corridor makes your mornîng quite horrible.
Even late at night gest are arriving and shout in all floors, while the doorman just say
Nothing for them to be quite for sleeping customers
In addition of that, lots of work in the hotel, so all day noisy and horrible gutter smell invade all the room and floors.
BF was ok , location is perfect i should say, and welcom was very good, evening one, nice Guy, rendy to help, but please ask guest to S up when coming late at night!!!!
Troom are quite small, hotel is a nice colonial one.
City is nice to visit two days, thats all

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The location of the hotel is great. Just directly in the Pelourinho. The rooms are small but functional with a/c and fan. Water is a little bit slow but it works. There is an excellent breakfast buffet in the morning. The rate for the room is really good. There is no real restaurant in the hotel but there is a lot of choice nearby. There was one minus for me. Although the staff of the hotel was doing a great job, the waitress in the cafe/bar was not really happy to work when i entered the cafe to have a coffee. She could do friendlier. Be careful, right in front of the hotel somebody may approch you. Ignore him and enter the hotel. Pickpockets are everywhere and they are quick.Dont leave your baggage unattended !

Room Tip: Go for a room on the top floor with view to the back of the hotel. There is much less noise because...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
WashingtonDC
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My cousin and I stayed at Bahiacafe Hotel for three days on a recent trip to Brazil, and overall I thought it was a fine hotel was a great location in the old city of Salvador. We actually missed our flight connection to Brazil, and showed up to Bahiacafe Hotel a day late. They were responsive to my emails, even though they charged us for the night we didn't stay.

I chose this hotel because of its location in the old city in Salvador. In retrospect, I'm glad that we chose this part of Salvador relative to the beach areas on the western edge of the peninsula. Bahiacafe Hotel is right on the main square, close to the famous elevator as well as the restaurants and other squares in the old city. Our room was on the corner and faced both the alley and the square. There was music all the time emanating from the square, but the room was quiet when it was night and the windows were closed. We had no problem with street noise. I would think the other rooms further in the back of the hotel have even less of a noise issue.

The room itself was large and clean, but the one thing I did not like was the bathroom doors did not really close. Also, the shower was incredibly difficult to operate. I have stayed at many many hotels, and this was the hardest shower to figure out, and even when the front desk "showed us how"...we could not replicate it and I had to take a cold shower the second day because I spent 10 minutes trying to get it right.

Overall, I would recommend Bahiacafe Hotel. The breakfast was large (picture enclosed), and the people were friendly. The front desk spoke fluent English and could give some tips for travel. Also, during our trip to Brazil, the caipirinhas at their bar were our favorite of all the caipirinhas that we had, so I would definitely check that out.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends