“Nice rooms, friendly owner, great communal balcony area”

Pousada Nega Maluca
Ranked #17 of 301 Speciality Lodging in Salvador
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We only stayed here for one night but really liked it. The owner helped us with all our questions, the communal areas were nice, and they didn´t show any annoyance that we were only staying one night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Pousada Nega Maluca

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I would go back, no doubt. When I arrived in Nega Maluca, I initially planned to stay just 2 nights, and have a look around and find eventually another place for a longer stay. I enjoyed my stay in the hostel, so I stayed there for 6 nights. The location is convenient, very close (10mins walking) to the heart of Pelourinho, the historical center of Salvador, the price is ok, and the staff is just great. Felt like home. I stayed in 6-8 beds mixed dorms. The first days the hostel was empty, then it got packed. Regardless the occupation, it was clean and people working there were always available to provide tricks and to suggest plans for concerts, or any activity. I think the staff made my stay there absolutely great. Only weak point, is that the lockers are way too small and very old, but again the staff is super helpful, so they took good care of my ipad, since it could not fit the lockers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Manuela V
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This is a very special pousada with amazing atmosphere and extremely helpful staff. The guy at the reception desk gave us lots of useful advice (along with a photocopied map) what and where to do / not to do, where to buy cheap food, what to see etc. We had a small double-bed ensuite room right at the entrance with a safe, A/C and 220V power outlet. This room was not quiet at all because of the street noise but for the nights was OK - but a bit damp though. There is a great balcony and free internet (2 PCs + wifi). Food is OK for a breakfast. Located in Pelourinho, there are lots to see in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms facing the street, sometimes they can be quite noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ehegedus
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I give this hostel points for: creating a great atmosphere. Helpful staff. Having air conditioning. Convenient location. Having amenities like a bar, communal kitchen and self-serve laundry. I was there during Carnaval (which of course means that people will be coming in at all hours drunk, and that rates were extremely high). It was easy to go out with people and feel safe.

I wish there was more space in the dorms, lockers for luggage (I didn't lose anything though), and light in the bathroom. Mattresses were crappy, but then again I didn't find mattresses in Brazil that I found comfortable (including at homes).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank FlySquirrel
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

This hostel is really special. The atmosphere is really great and very social. I felt very comfortable and at home immediately. The owner is a long time traveler who is very friendly and really understands the needs of a backpacker. The rooms are comfy and air conditioned and you get your own bed lamp and electric socket. The breakfast is awesome too! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank G D
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Great hostel. I was there during carnival and it was amazing. The staff and owner are the best. The whole hostel went out as one big group. The whole week week was run really well. Great location in the historic centre too. Recommended all year round.

Room Tip: hammocks on roof are a great cheap option during carnival
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2013

we have just arrived in Manaus from our vacation " Amazon Gero Tours on the road " we still remember the sweet moment we had in Salvador by Nega Maluca Guest House , our familiar suite which faces to the wonderful historic center.
when we read in a travel book the word Hostel I was afraid that the place would be good enough to a family , but it was my big mistake I have had in all hostels I have visited with my family special for Nega Maluca Hostel which combines with name Guest House as it is such nice
place , the breakfast made me very impressed ,to use the kitchen to make my children meals was just excellent.
To watch the tourists very cool people playing with my daughters they tought them English and learned Portuguese it was just amazing.
My son 25 years old in a very good relationship with all the guests my son got from the Nega Maluca people all the useful information for explorer the beautiful Pelourinho
we got from Diego and Gustavo the best information for the best tour in Salvador..
Nibal , Diego and Gustavo thank you very much for your golden Guest House Nega Maluca which made a big diference on our vacation.
Congratulation excellent Place , friendly and very professional people.
Price very accessible very good.
Gero ( Geraldo Neto M de souse )

diego Gustavo diegorutv

Room Tip: Try upstair rooms in the back but it is not a problem as Nega Maluca Guest house has a wonderful l...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family