“Terrible experience”

Ranked #19 of 299 Speciality Lodging in Salvador
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We spent 5 weeks in Brazil for the World Cup and this was by far the worst accommodation. Having read some of the other reviews, I am not sure if they were overwhelmed and so standards slipped but it was truly awful when we were there.

We were in a 10-bed dorm room which was damp, too hot to sleep, smelled terrible, we were covered in bites and the wifi did not reach. To get there you had to go down narrow, windy stairs with an automatic light which did not turn on until you were half way down. The bathrooms were disgustingly dirty and the water was always cold. The location is OK although some of the streets to get back from Pelourinho are not the safest (my camera was stolen). The only thing that was decent was the breakfast (although completely standard in Brazil). The staff were friendly, although some struggled in English.

It was so bad that we had to leave the hostel and find alternative accommodation on the third day (despite having paid for the following four nights, which were un-refundable). At almost USD$100 for a bed in a 10-bed dorm room, this was exorbitant, even for the World Cup (we stayed at another great hostel in Salvador for half the price later in the trip). I would not recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny212

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here in Pelourihno for 7 nights during the first week of the World Cup. We were impressed from the start when the taxi driver, Moises, waited for us after our flight was delayed and our luggage was lost. Inbal, the owner of the hostel, was always friendly and helpful and willing to make a caipirinha. Inbal and his family made all of the guests feel like their family. Before all of the World Cup games, there were lively bets and face painting.The common areas were always lively and well maintained. The breakfast was quite good and always included fresh fruit. All of the staff members were very helpful and knowledgeable of the city. We stayed in a two person private room which was simple but included air conditioning, towels, and a safe. When we return to Salvador, we will definitely stay here again. If you are looking for a laid back, friendly, international atmosphere, we would highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank zizzy24
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Nega for about 5 nights and it was an excellent experience. The manager, Gustavo, is super helpful - always offering advice and help. The location is excellent - only minutes from the heart of Pelourinho - and despite all the rumors of violence in the historic centre, we didn't have one problem, even walking around late at night. The breakfast was probably the best I've had in any hostel in Brazil, you get free coffee all day, and they have lovely, friendly pets, HOT showers, good wifi, and use of computers if you need them. The only negative about the hostel is the fact that the building is quite old, and years of rain and humidity have left everything feeling and smelling a bit damp and old. Especially the dorm rooms downstairs. This is beyond the control of the managers though, and if you can respect the age of the building, it shouldn't bother you too much. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Nega, and for the price, I don't think you can get much better in Pelourinho. Thanks Gustavo!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelsnyders
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We only stayed here for one night but really liked it. The owner helped us with all our questions, the communal areas were nice, and they didn´t show any annoyance that we were only staying one night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sao Carlos, SP
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I would go back, no doubt. When I arrived in Nega Maluca, I initially planned to stay just 2 nights, and have a look around and find eventually another place for a longer stay. I enjoyed my stay in the hostel, so I stayed there for 6 nights. The location is convenient, very close (10mins walking) to the heart of Pelourinho, the historical center of Salvador, the price is ok, and the staff is just great. Felt like home. I stayed in 6-8 beds mixed dorms. The first days the hostel was empty, then it got packed. Regardless the occupation, it was clean and people working there were always available to provide tricks and to suggest plans for concerts, or any activity. I think the staff made my stay there absolutely great. Only weak point, is that the lockers are way too small and very old, but again the staff is super helpful, so they took good care of my ipad, since it could not fit the lockers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Manuela V
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This is a very special pousada with amazing atmosphere and extremely helpful staff. The guy at the reception desk gave us lots of useful advice (along with a photocopied map) what and where to do / not to do, where to buy cheap food, what to see etc. We had a small double-bed ensuite room right at the entrance with a safe, A/C and 220V power outlet. This room was not quiet at all because of the street noise but for the nights was OK - but a bit damp though. There is a great balcony and free internet (2 PCs + wifi). Food is OK for a breakfast. Located in Pelourinho, there are lots to see in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms facing the street, sometimes they can be quite noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ehegedus
Germany
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I give this hostel points for: creating a great atmosphere. Helpful staff. Having air conditioning. Convenient location. Having amenities like a bar, communal kitchen and self-serve laundry. I was there during Carnaval (which of course means that people will be coming in at all hours drunk, and that rates were extremely high). It was easy to go out with people and feel safe.

I wish there was more space in the dorms, lockers for luggage (I didn't lose anything though), and light in the bathroom. Mattresses were crappy, but then again I didn't find mattresses in Brazil that I found comfortable (including at homes).

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo