“A bad option”

Che Lagarto Hostel Salvador
Ranked #58 of 304 Speciality Lodging in Salvador
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This hostel is good located but it has a poor structure. The room hasn't window and there is only one key to each room. The bathroom hasn't lock. The power AC sockets didn't work, the DVD player and TV wasn't working... It is the worse hostel I've known ever.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 August 2011

The room I stayed in was really not nice, there was no window (to outside), no lock on the bathroom, the fan we had on to keep us cool dried my throat out and gave me a cough. The staff were generally not very friendly or helpful. The location is OK but you would be better in the town. However there is loads of outdoor communal space, which was great as I met some brilliant people here. The chain Che Legarto however is quite good, although the breakfasts are pretty basic. I went to Che Legarto Morro do sao paulo and this was brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Overall the location and facilities of the hostel are good. Free comps, cool rooftop terrace. But you pay extra for the location (about 10$ more then Hi) and the rooms are pretty dinky and kinda dirty. The breafast is below avg for the price. The worst thing about the hostel is the bed bugs. I switched rooms a few hours aftet arriving as i saw thd little buggers and my roomate who had arrived 2 days earlier was covered in bits. I thought switching rooms would improve but after one night i was covered in bites! I asked around and other rooms had the same problem. Head down the road for the new HI ondina( near shopping barra) its cheaper, cleaner and has a better bfast.

Its worth noting that the ppl (except some) at che were very nice and helpful...

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I would NOT recommend to anyone this hostel, even though I like Che Lagarto chain and visited their hostels in other cities.
We had a private room, but it smelled bad and there were so many bed bugs/flees everywhere. The second night we changed rooms, but there were even more bugs. it was disgusting, every 5 minutes i would kill a new bug, ending up not sleeping the whole night at all. We complained in the night and they looked surprised, but had no other room available. My whole body was bitten like never before (by far!!!) and the next few days we could do nothing only scratch ourselves, it was really horrible. We've travelled for a bit and sometimes hadhappen to stay in filthy places (in South America or Asia), but nowhere else has it been with such bad consequences.
On our last night we rather checked into another hostel.
The towels look very dirty.
Otherwise the stuff is friendly and breakfast is alright and they fave free wi-fi, relatively fast.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank evita4
Reviewed 7 March 2011

The hostel has a fantastic location, perfect for experiencing Carnival. Apart from that the place is the pits.

For $US90 per night I was in a crammed 10 bed dorm, no window and bed bugs everywhere. The room has been "cleaned" three times already to no affect... meaning we have to vacate it during the day and pack up all our belongings. Pretty hard to get any sleep.

The downstairs balcony is out of bounds, Che Lagarto has conveniently hired it out to an external Camarote. Upstairs, although good for the view, is a gay bar. (they were going to charge guests 80 reals a night for it until someone complained)

The advertised kitchen is closed as the staff need it due to their kitchen being hired out.

I've still got two nights left, I can't wait to leave. Carnival has been awesome, Che Lagarto terrible.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 20 October 2010

First of all the most important: ca. 50 (!) flea bites over the whole body after the 2nd night.
The breakfast was discusting: toast bread, but no toaster. No marmelade, fruits full of flies, fruit juce which was stretched heavily with water (bottled water or just from the tab?), cheese was ok.

The double room was very basic, but ok (except the fleas)

Salvador was our first destination on a long trip through South America and we know the level we can expect from previous trips. This was just a very bad experience! In the meantime we found several hostals in Brazil in the same price category or even cheaper that offered much higher quality.

Location: in Salvador-Barra, right next to the beach, just a street (rather heavy traffic) in between. The beach is quite nice for a city beach. It took ca. 20 min. by bus to the Pelorinho (historic center). At night better take a taxi for safety reasons.

I would rather choose a hostal in the Pelorinho, for example the HI looks quite nice from outside.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roli-on-tour
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Staff try to help, but a lot of burocracy make it hard. Someone was stolen some days before my chek in.Take care of your stuff. Very good location and good price.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple