“Value priced Bahian food, but not quite best in the area”
Review of Panela da Bahia

Panela da Bahia
Ranked #1,024 of 8,250 Restaurants in Salvador
Price range: US$6 - US$17
Cuisines: African, Brazilian, Jamaican
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Panela - Restaurante baiano que se destaca com pratos como moqueca de camarão com banana. Restaurant that specializes in Bahian food with mouthwatering dishes like shrimp moqueca with banana.Estamos fechado até 02 de junho para a manutenção. We are closed until the 2nd of June for maintenance
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We went here for lunch, after reading really positive reviews - and were a little disappointed.
While the food was good, we were the only people there, and while cheaper than other traditional cuisine places nearby, was no where near as good.

It is a small and quant location, but lacking atmosphere. Also the Sangria was dragged up from the end of the earth and tasted accordingly.

While good for a casual meal, for a nice night out try or a romantic evening I'd prefer Maria Mata Moura, while more expensive, the service and food was substantially better.

Reviewed 8 May 2011

When we got to the restaurant they were about ready to close, but they kept it open and offered a great service to us. Drinks were nice and chilled, not only the alcoholic ones, but the refrigerantes as well. We ordered some french fries (as a drinking snack) and they were brought out warm and crunchy. PERFECT!! Have definitely been wanting to go back. :)
Their caipirinhas de limão are DELICIOUS!!

2  Thank nrdncr
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Following recent reviews of Panela da Bahia, and being a returning visitor to that region of Salvador, I thought it was an ideal opportunity to sample their wares. Being located in Pelourinho, adjacent to the home of the world famous Afro-Brazilian cultural group headquarters of Olodum certainly helped in pinpointing Panela da Bahia.

Now the good part!!

Following the recommendations of earlier reviews the Moqueca de camarao com banana was my dish of choice. Firstly, if presentation is your thing - I must say, it’s a dish that looks as good as it tastes. A generously portioned, tasteful dish containing a pastiche onions, peppers , garlic and tomatoes. All this before the headlining acts of the Camarao and Plantains are introduced. The ingredients are plentiful, but by no means overwhelm the taste of the dish.

Very decently priced for what is served in my opinion.

Throw in one friendly multilingual owner (no, not into the Moqueca) who was on hand to guide us through our queries – and you’re on to a winner.

I feel that I may have some unfinished business - namely with the rest of the menu, but I’ll save that for next time.

1  Thank TeeJay6
Reviewed 14 February 2011

My friend and I came across this restaurant on a Tuesday just before heading over to hear "Geronimo" play. The owner recommended the Moqueca De Peixi com Banana and OMG it was absolutely delicious. The atmosphere and service was wonderful and just added to an amazing day spent in Pelourinho. We went back later that evening and experienced a great night of music at the Sankofa bar (above the restaurant). At one point the DJ had everyone doing a congo line.
I would definitely recommend a visit to the restaurant and the bar upstairs.

2  Thank Wiz1Uk2004
Reviewed 12 February 2011

Fantaaaaaastic. Amazing moqueca de peixe com banana de terra and other great seafood dishes. Evandro the little waiter is a gem. They have soft samba playing in the background, cold beer and sangria full of local fruits. For a restaurant in Salvador, the service is suprisingly fast. The moqueca was served in a clay pot accompanied by a side of fresh coconut juice with a multi-colored rainbow straw. Pure Bahia!!!!