Having just returned from Salvador where I watched a Confederations Cup game, I read something french player Eric Cantona said about the city: it's not hip but I love it. That pretty much says it all. Salvador is not hip. If you're looking for boutique hotel hipness or southern Asia sofistication, then go somewhere else. Salvador is rough, alive, or, as I once heard an Englishman say about Brazilians in general, "interactive". Salvador is not supposed to be experienced from a distance. Either you get your hands dirty eating an oily acarajé (one of the many local dishes), or forget about it. The same applies for this hotel. After many different hotel experiences in the state of Bahia, this is yet another place where they play loud music in the pool (I've written about this before). But do I have a right to complain? No, of course not. If you come to Salvador, or Bahia, or northeastern Brazil, expect noise, interaction, rowdiness. If you come during summer for carnival, expect to sweat, get sticky, touch people and be touched. But people are nice, warm and alive. Of course, you have to be Navy Seal Team Six-Fit in order to face street carnival here (and the occasional robbery attempt). Me, as Clint Eastwood used to say in a movie, I'm too old for this s**t. But be aware: they play loud music in the pool, the rooms are kind of humid (the whole country is a steam room, what else would you expect?), everybody talks loudly everywhere, services do not work properly, etc, etc. Do not come to Brazil expecting Switzerland. If you come to Salvador you have to be aware of what you'll find or what you want.
Just to end this review on a different note: they are working on improvements in the hotel, there is renovation going on and the rooms are big.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Golden Tulip Salvador! The most beautiful sea view in Salvador! Golden Tulip Salvador is strategically located in Morro do Conselho area, near the traditional tourist points and business area. The main distinguishing feature of the hotel Golden Tulip Salvador is to combine an excellent location with a complex of special services for its guests, which include among other things: Breakfast included in rate Wi-Fi Internet in rooms and common areas Bilingual receptionists (Portuguese and English) Swimming pool with sea view Restaurant Tenis court Sauna Fitness Romm 24-hour reception Wake up service Parking Paid Laudry Paid Security ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Prestigia, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Golden Tulip Salvador reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Rio Vermelho Hotel Salvador
- Blue Tree Hotel Salvador
- Golden Tulip Salvador Bahia, Brazil