“Hotel or venue for private parties..?”

Pestana Convento do Carmo
Ranked #27 of 111 Hotels in Salvador
Florianopolis, SC
“Hotel or venue for private parties..?”
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I just love Convento do Carmo and was happy to come back on a business trip to Salvador. On the very first night, after having a massage at their spa (small but comfy) got to my room and went to bed very relaxed. For my surprise and distress, I was suddenly woken up with my bed shaking by high sound levels of music: a huge party was going on at the internal patio. I called reception many times complaining just to listen they were "nearly finishing". Nothing could be more incompatible than having guests at a converted convent and wild parties being thrown next door. I left the next morning, with a headache, despite the manager kindness acknowledging their responsibility for my nightmare. The irony is that my expertise is sound insulation and I knew noise would propagate along the whole building and disturbed whatever the room I was moved into.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Brazil2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
london
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The hotel was a monastery and now that it has been turned into a hotel most historic characteristics have been preserved. Staying at this hotel feels like you are staying at a monastery. I found the rooms and hallways smelled moldy, the rooms are small and decorated in a very basic style. It is definitely overpriced for what you get. Felt like I was sleeping in a museum. Very quiet, very eccentric, the hotel is very big. There is an H Stern shop, a L'Occitane Spa, a beautiful round swimming pool with green tiles, gym, free internet, a huge church adjacent to the hotel and a museum inside the hotel. The location is perfect in the cultural sense, because the hotel is right at the historic center, but even the best room does not have a beautiful view. Most people come to Salvador to be by the beaches and that is where most hotels are located. This one is a special one, not only it has character like no other, small rooms with small windows, being there is an experience of its own. On my next visit to Salvador I would much rather opt for one of the "cooler" hotels by the beach. Staying at the Convento do Carmo is a serious experience. 90% of guests here are foreign tourists and most of time traveling without kids.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 7 April 2010

The hotel is beautifull and very well located for a visit to the historic center.
Breakfast and room service is excellent. Atmosphere is wonderfull. The spa and fitness center are very small and don't really work (jacuzzy without water, steambath has to be open by demand). Wi-fi and cable internet included in rooms and at the hotel library (where there are 2 available computers for 24 hours).
However, we experienced some problems, the most important of which was following a very bad episode with a dreadfull brazilian travel agency, which offered to leave our luggage at the hotel. When we arrived (nearly five hours later) to the hotel, we found our luggage unattended, neatly organised at the hotel bellman cart, at the main entrance of the hotel. There were tourists entering the convent just to have a view at that same moment, and no one aroud. There was a security at the entrance who didn't ask us any questions (not even good afternoon), we stood by the luggage for five minutes and no one from the hotel was visible. We started to open our luggage, which included a backpack with a new laptop and all my work documents, and no staff arrived. There were lots of tourists and hotel guests passing by us. I was totally enfuriated by this.
I decided to head for check in, as my husband waited by the luggage with the children, they asked a lot of documents from us and also for my husband to come and sign hotel documents. This was when I exploded, and told them that my husband was garding our luggage which had been unattended for nearly five hours. The staff at check in was kind of upset with my reaction and instead of appologizing, seemed troubled and insisted for my husband to leave the luggage (with my laptop and all our belongings) and come sign their documents. We never heard any appology for this. I seriously wonder if they would take any responsability for the disapearance of our luggage, alhtough it was packed in the hotel cart...
After that, another hotel staff member insisted to take us for a visit around the hotel, slowly showing us everything including how to use the air conditioning or open the closet and bathroom doors, while we insisted (we are portuguese and speak portuguese) that our luggage (including small backpack with my laptop) remained unattended at the hotel lobby... this was pretty exasperating.
However, nothing really bad happened.
Also, staff member's children use the pool as hangout while they wait for their parents. This would be a nice "socially inclusive" strategy if the children weren't so unpolite, didn't look so bored, some totally dressed with their feet inside the water, just staring at guests for hours... while the smaller splash around without parent guidance.
Another really annoying thing is that some of the staff is pretty rude: I counted 5 times that I had to give priority to staff just in one single breakfast. This personnel had nothing in their hands, so there is really no intelligible reason as to why I should give them priority when passing a door (?). To european standards, it is extreme rudeness to do this, and I have to say I was extremely offended. One time is really bad, but five (!!) is really out of this world.
I should also remark that although breakfast opens at 6h30 am, upon checkout the hotel staff opened the breakfast room at 5 am for us and everything was perfect as allways... and this time there were no "priority" issues. Because of this very unexpected courtesy we kind of felt like we were compensated for other issues.
The hotel is charming and has an unforgetable colonial feeling that makes you step back in time.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
pestana, Management Assistant at Pestana Convento do Carmo, responded to this review, 19 April 2010
Dear Customer

We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Salvador in the future.

London
Reviewed 21 March 2010

This place isn’t cheap but it has been beautifully renovated and the furnishings are excellent. No manager was visible and that was unfortunate. The reception staff also act as concierge - usually one person - they have no back-up even when there is a queue of people; I waited over 20 minutes to check-out. Staff are friendly and helpful. The main problem is the catering – both my wife and I had stomach upsets while we were there – the food at breakfast is not covered, the bread dries up and the fruit warms up – the water melon was starting to decompose. For dinner the chef seems to have an obsession with cod, well I like cod but more variety would be nice. I was badly bitten by mosquitoes as we sat eating outside – this was totally unnecessary as it would be very easy for the hotel to spray the foliage in the enclosed courtyard. I’d stay there again but recommend you go to Restaurant Lafayette, Bahia Marina for dinner.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
pestana, Management Assistant at Pestana Convento do Carmo, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
Dear Customer,
Thank your for choosing the Pestana Convento do Carmo Hotel during your visit to Bahia.
We regret, however, that some of our products did not reach your expectation; the issues you mentioned have been brought to the attention of the competent departments.
We are really sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2010

A nice hotel very well situated (In daytime) belonging to the Pestana Group who convert historical buildings in major cities into hotels and retain the historical side of the building, in this case an ancient convent that is also a museum, culturally it is a lovely hotel.

It is short on amenities though, a very small plunge pool, only one internet station, no gym, it does have a small relaxation area to read and the relaxation beds around the courtyard are quite nice.

The restaurant is not of a particularly high standard, breakfast is okay but dinner choices are limited.

The standard of rooms are very nice and they are well maintained and clean.

The hotel is in the Pulorino district, it is not a particularly upmarket area and care must be taken at night, I reccomend taxis to and from restaurants.

If you want a nice relaxing break visiting local attractions, many, many fantastic historic churches in Salvador and some quite good restaurants at night you will find enough to occupy yourself.

Very limited English spoken in the Hotel and in the city virtually no English

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank keredewor
pestana, MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT at Pestana Convento do Carmo, responded to this review, 9 March 2010
Dear Customer,
Thank you for choosing the Pestana Convento do Carmo Hotel during your trip to Salvador, and for sharing your views about our product with other travelers.
We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service.
We take this opportunity to emphasize, that the quality of services given to our customers is a characteristic of the Pestana Group, and this is, of course, your satisfaction and well being.
We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.
Sincerely Yours,
London
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We stayed here one night when a missed connection at Sao Paulo (the immigration line was a shambles and had about 400 people in it). I pleaded for an upgrade and luckily got one.

Very nice beds, split level apartment.
Very good conversion.
Very close to poverty and the resulting threat of crime.
Very slow bar service (4 people in bar - drinks took 15 minutes at arrive 8 feet away)
Food average - we only had bar snacks, but if this was indicative of a full meal, I wold be sceptic.
Breakfast was good - lots of fresh fruit, although the coffee was weak and crappy.

Casa do Amarelindo is a lot better.

I wish them the best though, as they were friendly and it's more of a management issue than the quality of the staff.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Customer
Thank you for choosing the Pestana Convento do Carmo Hotel and for sharing with other travelers your opinion about our facilities and services. Certainly your comments are very important, so that we can always improve the quality of our services.
new york
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Convento do Carmo is,as other reviewers state, a renovated former monastery in the heart of a fascinating colonial city. Unfortunately, rooms are small and not well lit. Service is nonexistant. The facility is not being well maintained. Rooms are more expensive than just about anywhere else in Brazil and are simply not worth the money. The hotel is managed by a company based in Portugal that seems to be completely out of touch. On site management is distracted. Much of Pelhourino is currently being renovated. A number of the churches we wanted to visit were closed. We did not feel safe wandering the streets at night. Once inside Convento we felt safe, but neither pampered nor comfortable.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
pestana, MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT at Pestana Convento do Carmo, responded to this review, 27 January 2010
Dear Customer,
At first, we thank you for choosing the Pestana Convento do Carmo Hotel during your visit to Bahia.
We regret, however, that some of our products did not reach your expectation.
As you well know, the place is a converted convent from the 16th century, and is considered a historical patrimony of Bahia, therefore, it had to remain as it was originally built; this is why the rooms seem a little bit to small compared to general hotels standard. Other comments regarding lightening and maintenance have been forwarded to the housekeeping department for registration.
We apologize for any inconvenience, and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.