“Exceptional”
Review of Pousada Colonial

Pousada Colonial
Ranked #47 of 111 Hotels in Salvador
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My son and I returned from a week in Salvador for the World Cup. Pousada Colonial was our home base for the week. The driver Colonial arranged promptly met us at the airport, and not only was friendly but gave us an enthusiastic guided tour into the city in a mix of Portuguese, Spanish, and some French.

Our room on the top floor was neat and clean. The balcony had a view of the neighborhood, where we found some boys to play soccer on the narrow street behind the hotel. Safety was a concern traveling to Brazil, but we felt secure at Colonial and safe in the neighborhood. We saw many of the same faces during our week, and even made friends with some of the children in the neighborhood. Colonial is exceptionally well situated for jaunts into the old town, and was a 20 minute walk to the Arena Fonte Nova.

We enjoyed the breakfast of cakes, breads, fresh juices, fruit, eggs, ham, cheese, yogurt, and cereal. The coffee was superb.

While the building, rooms, common area, breakfast, location were all great, what made Pousada Colonial worth the stay was the staff. Their advice on restaurants, sights, places to walk or take taxis was always spot on. My son was sick for a day while in Salvador. There wasn’t a staff member that didn’t ask how he was doing. Tito made my son tea, that my son was convinced cured his illness. We were well cared for.

This was a genuinely nice place to stay, and immersed us in the city of Salvador. It exceeded my expectations, and was the cornerstone of a magical week in Salvador.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Diana S, Manager at Pousada Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

The Pousada Colonial Team is saying thank you so much fantastic review. Hope you and your son may come back in another time.
Tito said that was a pleasure to take care of you lovely son.
And we are proud to make our guests feel at home. This is our mission.
Thank you so much for choosing the Pousada Colonial.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This place was perfect walking distance to the main part of old town. It wasn't directly in the center of it, which was fantastic because we could actually sleep if we wanted to. Easy walk to Pelourinho.

The staff was also very helpful, spoke wonderful English and helped us out a lot. The breakfast was also great.

Highly recommended if you will be in Salvador.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hi,

We are all say thank you so much for yuor review. And double thank you for your highly recommendation for people who wants to visit Salvador.

Best regards from the Pousada Colonial Team

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here with my husband for two nights during the world cup. The property is very cute, with an attractive exterior, hard wood floors throughout and simple, but nice decor. Our room was the double bed + twin right on the street, so there was some noise on Saturday night, but Sunday was fine. Travel size shampoo and conditioner is provided in the bathroom. The bathroom is a bit muggy, as it is not well ventilated, but we turned on the AC and it felt better. Breakfast was lovely, with a selection of plain and sweet breads, fruit, and the option of eggs made to order. The front desk staff all speak excellent English and are very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review.
We try hard to keep this centenary building in the way it can continue speaking about our culture.
Thank you so much for being our guest and we hope that we can have another opportunity to have you with us again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Beautiful old building and generally helpful staff (some more than others!); good breakfast and good location being close to Pelourinho but not in it. Didn't have any problems with safety but generally a good level of awareness and not taking small streets at night etc is recommended (of course). Rooms are obviously old being an old building as is all of the old town but comfortable beds means can get a good nights sleep (with earplugs as with most places in brazil!)
They were putting safes into the rooms when I was there.
Recommend eating or drinking at one of the pousadas across style road which have a great view over the water.
Would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

The Pousada Colonial Team is saying thank you so much for your review. And we will continue to work to improve our services. And your review is helping us to do it. Thank your for recommending our little place, and hope that we can have you as our guest in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed with a friend at this amazing Poussada during the World Cup. Location perfect, rooms great but best of all was the helpful and kind nature of everyone working here. Made the stay a pleasure. Location is close to all local areas, breakfast was great, rooms very clean and good size.

• Stayed: June 2014

Hi,

The Pousada Colonial Team would like to say: THANK YOU SO MUCH for your wonderful review.
We are glad to know that you had a good stay with us. And we hope that may you can be our guest in the near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed in the large room on the top floor with the double balcony. We were in Salvador for around 10 days to see some World Cup matches and wanted somewhere close to the stadium, close to sights and to have some space during our extended stay. The Pousada Colonial ticked these boxes. It was clean, furnished tastefully and walking distance to the Pelourinho (main historic area) and the stadium. The room we were in overlooked the street and the water in the distance and had a mini bar fridge which meant we could have our own drinks and keep some food. Big and comfortable bed and lots of space. Room also had a safe and the bathroom was small but clean and hot water in the shower. Breakfast was good - eggs cooked how you like, cereals, fruit, cakes, ham, cheese. A nice common room space too with a TV and balcony.

The helpfulness and friendliness of the staff was excellent. In particular Tito who gave us lots of recommendations for dinner and day trips and was generally lovely to chat to. Because of the World Cup there was lots of atmosphere and festivities which meant noise at night - we didn't mind this but if it's not your thing then be prepared. I don't know what it's like normally but the jazz from the bar across the street was nice to listen to but the loud bangs from the fireworks take some getting used to! As lots of other reviews say, be smart about walking around - dress down and only take what you need out with you.

Room Tip: Go for the master suite on the top floor with the double balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi,

The Pousada Colonial Team kindly thaks your comment, and we are happy to hear that: "The helpfulness and friendliness of the staff was excellent." And we promisse we are going to keep working in the best way possible to make better our service. Hope that we can have you as our guest in other opportunity.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here in May 2014 for 4 nights. Salvador was our first stop on our trip to Brazil and we picked Pousada Colonial based on reviews on Tripadvisor and because of the proximity to the town centre.

We paid for a premium room (as I had read some of the standard rooms did not have windows!). The room was on the top floor, it was large, with a double bed and another single bed, however there was not much in the way of furniture etc. There is no lift so it was a long way to carry up our suitcases (although the girl at reception did offer to help, but she was even smaller than me!). There was one small standalone wardrobe, but we just used the single bed for our suitcases and didn't bother unpacking as there wasn't much space in the wardrobe and it was so dark we couldnt really see much into it. The room was also very dark with only a couple of bulbs for light – luckily I don't wear makeup otherwise it would have been very difficult to put makeup on in the lighting available.

There was a refrigerator/mini bar provided, but it was extremely noisy so I unplugged it every night. The prices for the drinks in the minibar though, were reasonable (2 real for a small bottle of water, 3 real for a can of coke).

There was a lack of power points so we had to take turns charging our phones/camera battery etc. There was only one powerpoint on my husbands side of the bed, aside from the one for the fridge so that was a bit annoying.

The bed was large and comfortable, and the room was serviced every day. We were on a side street and it was very noisy every day with people playing music across the road, dogs barking, children shouting in the street etc. It did disrupt our sleep most nights but eventually we fell back asleep. The doors to the balcony themselves were very noisy when it was windy as they rattled a lot inside the frame. On the last night, when the weather was quite bad, I had to get up and try and wedge some paper between the doors and frame to make it quieter.

The bathroom was tiny, but clean. The shower was small but hot water was available every day apart from the first day on which it was slightly lukewarm. There were no door hooks behind the bathroom door (or even the bedroom door), and the main issue I had was that there was no shower gel – this however, I think, is common across all of Brazil as none of our other hotels had shower gel, just soap. If I had known this, I would have brought my own. The bathroom handle was also very awkward to open and we kept getting stuck inside the bathroom as it was so difficult to open the door.

There was no safe in the room, but you can put your valuables in the common safe at reception. We did this and it was fine.

Breakfast was ok – it was mainly cakes and fruit. There was toast and cereal too and you could get scrambled eggs if you want. It would have been nice to have some other hot options but it was fine. Breakfast started at 7.30 but one morning we had a tour booked and needed to leave by 7.30. I mentioned this to the front desk staff who said we could have something earlier, whatever was ready but when I came down at 7am the next morning the breakfast wasn't ready and even though I could see in the kitchen that the fruit was all cut up ans cakes were already in the dishes. The lady at reception went in to speak to the kitchen staff but I still had to wait for about 15 minutes even before they brought the bread out so I could make some toast. We ended up with about 10 mins to have breakfast. I thought this was poor as we had notified them the night before but there obviously had been some lack of communication.

The main issue we faced here was safety. ON the first night when we were walking back to the hotel from the town after dinner, it was about 9pm (or just before) and we were about 30-50 feet away from the hotel door when we were stopped by a young (late teens perhaps) man, who tried to grab my husband's chain (he wasn't even wearing one). Luckily, we were able just to sidestep him when he realised we didn't have any gold and quickly walk to the hotel as it was so close. However, after this incident I didn't really feel too safe walking out at night, although we may have just been unlucky as the following night there were lots of people on the street (perhaps as it was friday).

The staff were nice about it and offered to call the police so we could report it, but as nothing was taken, we didn't think there was any point. The reception staff were generally very nice and helpful and they are the reason why I have given this hotel 3 stars instead of two.

Overall, it was ok and reasonably close to the town but there are plenty of other options in a similar price range so if I was to go again I would probably shop around and think about staying elsewhere. You do need to be careful in general in Salvador though, don't take any valuables out at night, just the money you need and don't wear any jewellery! The incident I mentioned above was the 2nd time someone tried to rob us, the first being on Praca de Se in broad daylight with plenty of people around! This was all on the first day we arrived. Despite this, Salvador is a wonderful place with an amazing history and culture, and I would recommend everyone to visit at least once.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple