“Great hotel, but you need to be very careful with security in the nearby streets”

Hotel Casa do Amarelindo
Ranked #1 of 110 Hotels in Salvador
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is a charming hotel situated in a very interesting part of Salvador. The staff are friendly and helpful, breakfast was excellent. However, one member of our party was pushed to the ground and had her phone snatched, just a couple of streets from the hotel. It was the middle of the day, we were with a guide, and there were lots of police around. So my advice would be that if you stay here, you really really have to be careful with security in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank amarchant
Amarelindo, Proprietário at Hotel Casa do Amarelindo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice comments regarding our hotel, staff and breakfast.

We feel very sad about the bad experience you had, completely unacceptable, and we really understand your reaction.
Nevertheless, we feel that it would have been fair enough to give this bad notation to your inattentive travel agency guide or to the policemen rather than to our hotel…
We really matter our guest’s security and for that reason, we always take a few minutes during check-in to mention this subject, and we designed a map special for Pelourinho district to ensure our guest will have a lot of fun safely.

For future guests, we can only reinforce the security tips given at the moment of the check-in: you are in a country where deep poverty still exists and, even during day time, if you are inattentive, someone can snatch your smartphone, tablet, camera (you name it). But I believe this is unfortunately happening more often even on the nicest avenues of Paris, London or New York… These tips can apply for a lot of countries and not only Brazil, or Salvador.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I had the best steak of my life there. It is was hauntingly good and all steaks will now be compared to this amazing meal. Gorgeous property, but we only ate at the restaurant and cannot speak for the hotel. Excellent, excellent food!

1  Thank LAURA C
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I just returned from Brazil today where I went to see the FIFA confederations cup in In the city of Salvador. I wanted to really explore the Bahian culture of the Brazil people during my 5 day stay and hence decided to stay inside of Perlourinho. My friend and I chose Casa do Amerelindo and we were extremely impressed with this hotel. Located in the heart of Perlorihno, words cannot express the brilliance of the details involved in the planning, decor and overall comfort of this hotel. You can tell that the proprietors took time to develop a property that would evoke warmth and an ambience that sharply contrast with the vibrations of the Perlorinho culture just outside. I was outside partying with the locals, feasting on the local foods and took in all the music I could get. But anytime I stepped back into Casa do Amerelindo- I knew I was back "home". The breakfast was the best I have had in any hotel. I do a lot of business travel and I have stayed in the best hotels around the world. The breakfast is one you have to try. During the evenings we would sit just out of the front patio and order drinks from the bar and some of the most delicious Tapas out there.

My room was spacious, clean and very quiet Yes - really quiet in spite of the partying outside. Thick sound proof walls with a safe box. I went to the roof top and saw the amazing sprawling city of Salvador in full glare.

I love this place. I love this place. I will come back. The owners are marvelous people. Beautiful minds! Didier and Giles.. Thanks for welcoming me to Brazil. - Michael A.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Selepasa
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This was our first trip to Brazil, and this hotel was a definite highlight with the staff going out of their way to provide us with information and make our stay as good as possible.
Rooms are spacious and very comfortable, and the bar area and restaurant are very charming. Breakfast was an absolute delight and we can highly recommend it.
Also the location is very good, with everything reachable on foot.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I just come back from having spent 6 nights and 7 days with my partner at this awesome little hotel.

I'm shocked to have read the previous reviewers headline , so let me address that issue before I continue with my review as it bothers me because regardless of how you feel about the hotel, the area where it is sited is absolutely amazingly beautiful and fascinating: She says to avoid any hotels in this neighborhood, the Pelourinho. That's comparable to advising somebody visiting Venice to stay away from any hotel near the Canals or to not stay in a casino when going to Las Vegas! The Pelourinho is a UNESCO World Cultural Center and THE reason to visit Salvador and therefore the best base to explore this fascinating neighborhood. As a result of its history as a nexus between the indigenous people, the portuguese and the slaves that they brought, it possesses a fascinating cultural mix with amazing art in its churches, cathedrals, and cobblestone streets and squares filled with plenty of music (forró, samba, drums) and energy.

I can't quite believe how hyperbolic the previous reviewer is being saying you have a 50/50 chance of being stabbed when you walk out the hotel! That's absolutely ludicrous and if it were true, I'd be dead many times over and lacerated all over my body. The Pelourinho is nowhere near the most dangerous part of town. In fact, it's patrolled by numerous Tourist Police that are posted in almost every corner and for that reason alone you're safer here than just about anywhere else in town. You're pretty much in view of these tourist police officers at all times. As long as you use some common sense by keeping your valuables in the hotel and not venturing out of the areas that contain the numerous restaurants, stores, churches, cultural centers, etc. you'll be just fine. This is a major emerging world city with its associated problems, but use some basic precautions and you'll be just fine.

As for the hotel, we loved it here. We were impressed right from the moment we checked in. We were greeted in a very friendly manner by Alan, who was very informative and helpful. The same can be said about the two other people working the reception desk (Paolo & Marco, I think?). Having travelled in Brazil, service standards are usually pretty disappointing with very apathetic staff even in some of the better establishments, but not here. Everyone was friendly and eager. One of the owners also came out to greet us, and we were introduced to the other one the next day. They were both just as effusive and friendly as the reception workers and very grateful for our stay of 6 nights.

Just a few minutes after we checked into our room, a very tasty tropical fruit platter was sent up to our room as a welcome. We stayed in room #3 (a deluxe room), with an awesome view of the Bahia de Todos os Santos and its many spectacular sunsets from our balcony. The entire property is really tastefully decorated and very charming. Our room was spacious and the bed humungous. It probably fits 4 people no problem. It has Sky TV and a DVD player. I think they have DVDs for you, but we didn't use any. The Wifi worked fine most of the time, with just some brief lapses when it went away. The bathroom is large and has an awesome deep bath tub with jacuzzi style capabilities, as well as a great shower.
The room was in the same level as the swimming pool. It's small but perfect for just a refreshing dip. The pool area also has a bay view and you can have bar service brought to you from it. There's also a rooftop bar where you could also go to view the sunsets.

Breakfast service is very prompt. You can have it anytime from 7am onwards. You get coffee, variations on a platter of fruit, omelette, bread basket, ham, cheese, quiche like cake, etc. All of it delicious. On our last day, we were leaving before 7am to catch our flight and they accommodated us by having an altered service at 6:20am. In the evening, you get turndown service and a couple of small treats are left in your room.

The hotel is in a pedestrian only area (though we had reserved the taxi from the airport thru the hotel and they took us right to the door and and took us back to the airport from the hotel door). They probably won't be able to take you to the door everytime, but you're only about 200 feet away from the Terreiro de Jesus, a big square surrounded by churches and the main cathedral, where the taxis are. They have a seating area with long windows open to the streets. The hotel is in an enchanting cobblestone street that leads down to a big blue church, with its towers seemingly coming out of the street. It's a great view.

There's also a restaurant in the hotel for lunch and dinner. We had dinner twice here and it was great both times.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms with bay views offer great sunset views
4  Thank josu G
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I stayed on this property purely and purely based on 'Trip Advisor' reviews. Seldom have I gone wrong, when staying on a unknown property, basis review of trip advisor. This is one occasion, when I went wrong. And I would say, do not be over-awed by the "5 star" ratings, the hotel has on trip advisor.

However, lets me start with the positives first.

1. The two owners are really nice men and they really mean well. They will do everything possible within their means to make your stay plesant. They will go out of the way, to please you and fulfil your wishes.

2. The front desk staff is very polite and helpful. Just like the owners, they will do everything possible to make your stay good and pleasant. They are very very cooperative and do not let the owners down in any way.

3. The bed is really huge. Huge enough for 3 adult people!

4. The bathroom is really big.

Thats it. The positives end here. The two stars given above are for the positives mentioned above.

Lets go to the glitches.

1. The location of the hotel. Its in a very awkward part of the town. For the uninitiated, Pelourinho is the most dangerous neighborhoods of Salvador. I was not aware of it when I booked this hotel. The locals told me! And were they right. I almost got mugged 2-3 times just 10-20 metres from the hotel door! Their are these 10-12 yr old kids moving with sharp knives, very close to the hotel. Their are these drug addicts who are looking for money. And if you do not look Brazilian, you are in for trouble.

The owners try everything possible to help you but yr safety, outside the hotel, is not their duty. If you want to experience getting mugged, stabbed..go and stay in a hotel in Pelourinho. I would strongly suggest avoid ALL hotels in Pelourinho, unless you like to live on the edge!

2. The AC in the room does not cool enough. Maybe it is lack of gas. But whatever it is, the AC took 3-4 hours to bring the temperature down and usualy was never cool enough in the day time. In short, one struggles to sleep in the room in hot days.

3. The internet connection is absolutely horrible. It works sometimes, some times its not working. Plus you still need to connect with a ethernet cable in this day and age instead of a wi-fi. Internet is v important for me and when it does not work well, I just feel the hotel is not worth staying!

4. Lack hot hot water. Though the hot water is supposed to be running, but its not really hot. Its just luke warm. Early in the morning, when you want a hot shower, what you really want is hot water but to no avail.

5. Their are lot of mosquitos in the room which will bite you. I was told this problem is existant in all hotels in Salvador. I beg to disagree. I was bitten by several mosquitos while sleeping in the room.

6. Depending on police presence, usually yr car/taxi is not allowed on the street, the hotel is located. This reders you exposed to various criminals as you walk back to the hotel. The probability of getting stabbed is 50/50.

Keeping all these factors, I feel if one is spending more than 150 usd a night, their are far better options than this in Salvador.

I know the owners will be very upset to read this review cos they are very serious businessmen and try their best but its high time someone wrote a genuine, balanced review here on this property.

Room Tip: Avoid this very dangerous neighborhood.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Amarelindo, Proprietário at Hotel Casa do Amarelindo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for starting your review with such kind words regarding our team and ourselves. We have a small hotel, and we really want our guests to enjoy their stay as much as possible and this is the reason why we daily keep up-dated all the events in Pelourinho district as we believe our guests are booking at Casa do Amarelindo mainly to enjoy this still authentic district and should go outside.

So, do you really believe that we would give such recommendations to our guests if there was any risk? Trust me, it is a much better business for a hotel to keep his guests in the hotel and restaurant !! Do you believe that we just invested and refurbished our lobby with bar tables facing the street with open windows if the area was like you described it? And if the situation was like you described it, do you really believe that that you would be the first to write such terrible things regarding our hotel and its neighborhoods??? As a respect to the more than 500 guest that put a review before you and that enjoyed both our hotel and Pelourinho, I would say that your point of view seems to be, at least, biased.

Brazil is a complex society, much more complex than at first sight, and, unfortunately you are right, the white and rich elite (your friends?) even from Salvador will tell you that Pelourinho is dangerous, but the truth is that they are talking of an area they don’t visit for decades for being black and popular. They continue talking of a Pelourinho that changed many years ago, and I am very sorry to inform you that statistics of violence are much higher in the “nice” districts of Salvador, and that Pelourinho is for sure, one of the safest part of Salvador with cameras and important police presence just because it is THE postcard of Bahia. So it is true, if someone is expecting a kind of Disneyland, he should rather book in a resort, but as soon as you just behave like normal person, if you admit that showing off your smartphone in the crowd of a concert may not be very clever, nothing never happens.

Now, it is true that you visited us during the more rainy season, but let’s be honest, did you expect to visit a tropical country at that moment with no mosquitoes?? Our rooms are equipped with double glazing windows and usually our guests will keep the windows closed to have the maximum quietness and they don’t have any mosquitoes problem. And would you had mentioned this problem, we could have provided repellent lotion and/or insecticide. Same thing for your air conditioning, in order to solve a possible problem we first must be informed and we are very sorry that you didn’t gave us that chance. Regarding hot water, in order to avoid weak water pressure (gravity is the main system in most places in Brazil), we opted for a pressurized and filtered centralized system. If you are the very first one having a shower in the morning, it may demand a few minutes from the boiler to your room and our receptionists usually mention that on check-in, but again, it is easy to explain as soon as you report it.

So, I will agree with you, this review is letting us sad, but mainly because you booked the wrong place for the wrong reasons. And I will also agree that there are plenty other hotel options in Salvador and for sure I will recommend these places for someone looking for a sanitized surrounding, but in that case, is it still Brazil..??

Reviewed 18 May 2013

My colleague and I stayed at the hotel for two weeks while on business in Salvador. We loved everything about our time at the hotel. The owners, who live on premises, make you feel at home, and were always responsive to our requests. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the views of the Bay are beautiful. The restaurant offers a wonderful array of dishes and the bars (there are two: one near the restaurant and one on the rooftop) turn out some great drinks, including the signature lime caipirinha! And the location of the hotel right in the middle of the historic district cannot be beat. I would highly recommend the hotel to friends and family and hope to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business