“To me, one of the best place in Brazil.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Villa Bahia
Ranked #6 of 114 Hotels in Salvador
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“To me, one of the best place in Brazil.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Last week I stayed, for the second time, at Villa Bahia in Salvador. I had two colleagues with me as we were attending a seminar. Just as I remembered it, the Villa was great. The rooms each had their own special characteristics and charms. The entire experience was excellent from the accommodation, the staff (Marie and Pilar are GEMS!), the food and the location. One evening we spoke to a group of foreign tourists that had been travelling for six weeks all over Brazil and they agreed with me that this was one of the best places they had stayed, anywhere! Truly a wonderful place and I plan on going back again (3rd time) with my family in a few months.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. They are all different and have their own charm. We had the room called Mad...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

This is a beautiful, colonial style hotel in the middle of the safest part of Salvador. However, the staff have an attitude of processing guests; in our case the receptionist was literally counting money while shrugging her shoulders that we had to wait over an hour for lunch. We thought that was quite symbolic.

Regarding the kitchen: if locals come in after you, they will be served before you. This can mean that you wait for over an hour for lunch - with staff literally walking away from you if you ask where the food is. The food is hit and miss. They try hard but we had to send food back for not being cooked through or was cooked and then arrived stone cold. The staff agreed the food was not right (and would give a discount on the bill) but the locals did not have this problem.

Overall a hotel that is beautiful but let down by a kitchen that doesn't work properly and staff that have a haughty view to tourists.

It is literally the only hotel where we stayed where the service was this bad - everywhere else was really excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Londonfamilyholidays
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I can only say good things about the Villa Bahia. We had a large room with a sitting area and a huge bathroom. Decorated in the Colonial style, we had windows that opened out to the main square, with views of the St. Francis and the Cathedral on the other end. Location was excellent! The room was ambiant and most pleasant. Breakfast was also very lovely. Staff service was very good.

I highly recommend the Villa Bahia in Salvador!

Room Tip: We had the Madacascar Room and it was perfect.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelsandmore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed at Villa Bahia in early May 2013. The staff is on top of it; loved the locally-made soap and shampoo in the rooms; the room and hotel are beautiful, spacious and comfortable (good AC!) The Villa is located right in the Pelourinho which is convenient for some purposes - taxis are readily available to go elsewhere. Breakfast was too big for one person (fruit, bread, cheese, etc.) but you can specify which items you don't want...comments from the guest who talk about the Pelourinho area have some truth. There are some people who are looking to take advantage of tourists but this is not everyone. Definitely you should not walk very far alone at night. There is one restaurant with awful food and high prices catty corner to Villa Bahia but other restaurants in the area that are quite tasty, serving authentic Bahian food - Axego - around the corner a few blocks down was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bizwoman
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

I have no intention to offend anyone with this review. I would like to state right away that I was very pleased with my stay at Hotel Villa Bahia.

The hotel itself could not be more centrally located, within the Pelourinho and right in front of the exquisite, Baroque São Francisco church and right in the centre of the glorious, colonial capital tht Salvador once was. I stayed in the Guinê room, which was fabulously furnished and immaculately kept. Its windows looked out on the nice, small swimming pool located in the courtyard of the hotel. The windows opened outright to fully experience the sights, sounds, and smells of historical Salvador. One can frequently hear the mellifluous sounds of the ensemble "Olodum" rehearsing directly behind the hotel, which was really pleasing and contributed to the "vibe" of the location.

Sadly, the Pelourinho itself was seriously disappointing. Despite the fact that there are police EVERYWHERE In this historic area, I was accosted by numerous people trying to sell poor quality souvenirs or attract customers for tours or bars. I was also threatened twice by street vendors: once by a man who, after refusing his wares, said he had a "big knife" inside his shirt. Another claimed to have AIDS and made injection motions. On the whole, I felt that almost everyone in the historic area was looking at me like hungry wolves, and that the neighbourhood as a whole had no idea how to adequately accommodate tourists.

Also, after dark, the place is almost completely deserted, with very few options for food or drink open. Those that are tend to be predatory with pricing and tactics. After a trip to the beachfront, I found myself wishing I had booked a stay somewhere near Barra beachfront, as it seems much more relaxed and with much more to do for a night-owl like myself.

I do have to say, however, that the hotel is amazing. Their level of attention to detail is extremely high, and the furnishings and level of cleanliness are spectacular. The staff, largely, was great. Ana, at the front desk, remains one of the most friendly, approachable, patient, and kind employees of basically anywhere I've ever stayed, and I can't help feeling that she is now my new standard for service employees. The manager, Jefferson, was polite, but very formal and severe. There was also a quite rude and unpleasant man with a ponytail in the bar that I felt didn't make the cut.

I would HIGHLY recommend the airport transfer service though Caravel, I had Sérgio, who was such a delight I asked for him to take me back to the airport. I also used Caravel for a city tour during my stay, which was also delightful.

To summarise: I loved my stay there, but this experience is not for everyone.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank RonanM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

We really enjoyed our 3 day stay at Villa Bahia and would definitely go back if we ever return to Salvador. We were choosing between this hotel and Casa da Amarelindo and we did pop into the Casa da Amarelindo for a drink and were unimpressed and happy we chose Villa Bahia.

The location of Villa Bahia is just perfect in a gorgeous cobbled square with an amazing view of the San Francisco church (especially beautiful when lit up at night). The Pelourinho is lovely, we did feel a little uneasy when we first arrived though. We flew into Salvador Airport late at night and the taxi driver drove us to the Pelo through the favela areas pointing out to us how dangerous it was...great! Then pulled up in a deserted square (it was a wednesday night) and told us he could go no further and we would have to walk. This was 11pm and we were uneasy despite the obvious police presence in the area. Anyhow my husband walked off with an over-enthusiastic local child looking for a tip to try and find the hotel. It wasn't far away and the hotel staff came back with my husband to help us with the baggage which was a nice touch.

The building itself is just gorgeous, an old traditional style mansion with wooden stair cases, heavy wooden doors and shuttered windows. The room are decorated in a traditional style inspired by regions of Africa but there is also the influence of the Europeans. You feel like you have stepped back in time, it's just lovely.

The only complaint we had was that our room Guinea was a bit noisy in the mornings when the breakfast was being prepared.

We took a walking tour of the city on our first morning (which the hotel organised) and this was a great introduction to the area and made us feel much more comfortable walking around the Pelourihno and going into all the little shops.

They say that the Pelo is the nightlife capital but we didn't find too much action while we were there (wed, thur, fri nights). There was some music in some of the squares and we had a great time, but you did have to look for it (we found this be generally true in Brazil as a whole).

Don't hesitate to stay at Villa Bahia - it's great!

Room Tip: perhaps try a high floor if you can to be away from the breakfast noise
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessdownunder
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

couldn't recommend a better place to stay in the old town... all the small details made a huge impression on me and the staff was excellent.. my only qualm was our room being fairly small considering the price of the room which was high season...was told that all rooms were priced the same and the size was dependent upon how big the party you were traveling with....

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple