“The best hotel in Salvador”

Studio do Carmo Boutique Hotel
Ranked #43 of 111 Hotels in Salvador
Roma
“The best hotel in Salvador”
Reviewed 14 February 2009

Studio do Carmo is a really nice hotel in the centre of Pelourinho, the oldest area of Salvador. The position is very good near of the attrattive of the city.
The rooms are very confortable: each one has a big bad, a little kichen and a private bathroom. also the interior decorations are very nice and tipical. every morning an excelent breckfast is bring in the room. the service in very good and the two managers (2 very nice italian guys) are really hospitale and helpful.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brasil19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 3 January 2009

Studio do Carmo was a huge part of my experience in Bahia. The rooms were large, wonderful art, great breakfast included in the fee and the best staff. First class service from booking to Check Out. BY FAR THE BEST PLACE TO STAY IN SALVADOR! Thank you Studio do Carmo!

• Liked — The rooms and remarkable service
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 28 November 2008

We spent 3 weeks in Brazil for our honeymoon and I would have to say that Salvador was the highlight of our trip. Salvador offers a massive cultural diversity with loads to do each day and the central location of Studio do Carmo is the perfect Pousada from which to base your travels and discoveries of this beautiful city as its friendly staff were always on hand pointing us the right direction so we could discover and enjoy the full delights of Salvador.

The Pousada is well maintained and very clean, the rooms were very large and a healthy breakfast was just a phonecall away each morning. The breakfast is delivered to each bedroom.

We had only booked in for one night but were so impressed we stayed on for FOUR nights in total. We left Salvador to visit the island of Morro do Sao Paulo for 4 days and returned to Salvador, staying at Studio do Carmo for 2 more nights before returning home. Hope to return.

• Liked — Friendly Staff & Location
  • Disliked — The Stairs
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank judgeCarlow
cagliari
Reviewed 25 November 2008

good place to visit salvador, in the hearth of the historic center, we have liked the room very spacious very cleaned and with every conforts..like an apartment...a little home ! We have liked the services that they offer: tropical island trips on the boat,, candomblé and city tour very very interesting. Thank you

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank fiffiri
new york
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We really liked this posada, we stayed 4 night for our honeymoon and everything was perfect. The staff is very very friendly and speaks english, french and spanish very well.Our breakfast was amazing, very fresh with a different types of juice and fruits, for vegetarians people like me is great. The rooms are clean and the location is fantastic because is in the center historic. We had a great time I would like to come back soon.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank NewYorkOlivia
rome
Reviewed 8 October 2008

we lived salvador, and the pelourinho, sharing emotions and questions with max and francesca, very kind and always ready to give infos, suggestions and listening to our impressions. They became a sort of friends, even from there to rome! The hotel is very clean, almost in a maniac way! the breakfast each day different and always rich. We needed to live salvador, "feeling with friends", so
I can't imagine another place to go in salvador.

• Stayed September 2008
2 Thank lfdaghi
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 September 2008

My wife and I stayed at this pousada for three nights and it was clean, in a good location and the staff were friendly. With the USD down and out, I would say that this place was overpriced and I am sure it is way more expensive now that there are guide books and there are "rave" reviews about this place. I definitely don't think the price was worth it.

I have traveled to Brazil 3 times and was excited to go to Salvador, but honestly, not that impressed. I would say that one night or even just a half day trip to Pelourinho is plenty. The night before we left, at 2 AM we heard a man getting beaten by several other men in the street for about 30 minutes (right in the alley outside). That is the first time I have ever witnessed the brutal side of Brazil, and I have spent over 3 and a 1/2 months in the country overall and been to the favelas in Rio without a problem.

Yes, this place is fine for a night, but I would move on to the beaches in Salvador and get out of "Pelo". The staff did not really know the best places to go to eat, or what to do and we definitely had to rely on our guide book. I might stay there again if it were Carnival, but overall, probably would try to get into the Convento Do Carmo or just stay at another hotel near the beaches and make my way back to "Pelo". Hope this helps my fellow travelers.

A few other tips, ask them to get rid of your breakfast ASAP as ants will invade your room. Mini ants, but still ants for that matter.

I think we stayed in Room 4 and there was a nice breeze at night. Room 2 I believe was that same, just a floor lower. Room 1 and 3 had a nice view, and I think slightly larger rooms.

The showers heat and water pressure were abysmal.

We got a taxi from here to the airport for R$40. Hopefully you guys can do better (I think you are more at the mercy of the cab drivers coming from the airport to the hotel).

Definitely not a 3 star hotel. Just a nicer pousada.

• Liked — The location was great. Too bad "Pelo" was nothing special. Would wait until Carnival to go.
  • Disliked — Street noise (see comments)
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple