“A Beach Hotel”

Gran Hotel Stella Maris Resort
Ranked #33 of 110 Hotels in Salvador
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This is an interesting hotel. First you have to find it which was a challenge as it is not on the main road and we saw no signage on the hotel. After we asked at least four people we did find it. Unfortunately they seemed to be doing renovations the day we arrived that were very loud but thankfully stopped at five. One surprise for us that we had read about an airport shuttle but were told they needed a 48 hr notice (??) and it did not run on weekends (?) So we ended up with a $25 taxi. Airport is fairly close and this is convenient if you are going back out to the airport. The rooms have a great view of the beach and if you are a beach and pool family this looks like a decent choice. We were a bit put off by the loud music and entertainment from the pool area but fortunately it quieted down at night. ( Although we were dismayed to read that they can do karaoke at the pool area starting at 8:30 p.m. some days - fortunately not our stay ). The hotel seemed to be renovating itself and there was new paint, etc. but overall seemed old and dingy and in need of a facelift. Rooms seemed a bit dusty in spots. Could have been cleaner.

The breakfast was excellent by the way. Other than that we only had sandwiches for room service and they were fine. I guess I would recommend this hotel only for a family who liked the beach/pool but not a romantic getaway to my eye. It is - to be fair - a conference center and I guess it would work out well for that. It is quite large. It is not a quiet place to get away by any means.

There appeared to be a coffee service in each room on their list of amenities but that was not in the room. Bed was good and bathroom and shower were good. I noted hooks for hammocks on the balconies but there were none there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the beach - maybe most of them do - not sure - but the beach is lovely...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 December 2012

This hotel is the most awful hotel I have ever been. Loud noisy and terrible music in pool area from 10 am to 10 pm, disquisting food, dirty rooms, beach with stones on the shore in front of the hotel. We spend here 2 nights and it seemed to be endless for me.

Room Tip: do not go to this hotel at all
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed at Stella Maris for one night and were very unhappy with our experience. To start things off we booked this hotel because Expedia claimed it had a free airport shuttle, however, once we arrived in the Salvador airport and called the hotel we soon realized that this was not the case (note if you need to take a cab from the airport do not grab a taxi right outside the airport doors as they overcharge, instead cross the street and you will find another cab company that charges considerably less-$30 from airport to hotel). Once we got to our hotel room we were instantly dissatisfied with our room as it was dirty (stains on the walls, dust on everything), hot, smelled bad and was lout (can hear people above). To make matters worse, our air conditioning unit was not working and it took hours to a) prove that the unit was broken and b) get a new room. The other issue we had was that the taxi the hotel provides overcharge considerably as we took a taxi from Stella Maris back to the airport and instead of paying $30 we were charged $50! The only upside to this hotel is that the staff is very friendly and polite.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here make sure that you get a room that is not on the ground floor and is o...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah F
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

I do Not recommend this hotel. This hotel has very thin walls, floors. I could hear everyone that walked anywhere near my room, any furniture that was moved, sounded as if it were in my room. Not a place to get any sleep. The room was dirty and not maintained. There was water on the floor in my bathroom. My room needed a paint job, a good cleaning and a major update. The mattres on the bed needed to be replaced, I could feel the springs. The mirrors were dirty, the floor was also dirty. The pool area is nice, the towels are small and thin, for beach towels. The hotel played Loud music by the pool and someone on the beach played even louder music from a huge speaker in the back of a truck. I just wanted to relax, that didn't happen! The beach is nice, not the best. I suggest that you use Trip Advisor to find a much better place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Not sure why this resort is getting all the bad reviews. Stayed here for a week on recent business trip and my only complaint is I didnt get a chance to spend more time at resort. The rooms were decent, clean, good size, comfortable beds and basic essentials. The TV is a bit small for room but other than that enjoyed my stay. I wish I had my family with me as this would have made a nice vacation.

The resort itself is beautiful. The open air lobby, on-site restaurants, bars and large pool were all wonderful and there is a great view of ocean.The hotel is situated in a decent area and there are many good places to eat in the general area but you will need a taxi. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank simbadusty
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I just left my bag with monies and passport at the hotel restaurant after dinner. The front desk called me informing me they found my belongings and ask me to collect.
All my stuff are still intact. The staffs here really responsible!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Front desk was very helpful, specially Ricardo. In general, we enjoyed but our first impresion too impersonal and massive.
Delicious buffet breakfast. The italian restaurant was nothing: we saw 3 tables leaving without being attended, and the waiter couldn't care less. Renew of towels needed as well as room maintenance. At the end we relaxed and enjoyed. Thanks

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family