“Still smiling” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Trancoso
Barcelona, Spain
“Still smiling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Somehow its hard to believe this place exists. Its ages since a hotel really surprised me and made my heart jump, and I still catch myself smiling at memories of this stay

So many details, everything authentic, local, organic, and inserted perfectly into a tropical environment. I just never got tired of absorbing the beauty of this place and Trancoso

And while uxua was clearly created by a designer with a very sophisticated eye, there’s none of the pretension of a design hotel. Actually its one of the friendliest places I’ve been in the last years. The staff has loads of personality, very Bahian, engaging and warm and seemingly thrilled to be hosting you. They have a perfect balance of discretion mixed with curiosity to meet and chat and share their enthusiasm for life in Trancoso. Against my lazy nature I actually took a few classes of capoeira, convinced by uxua’s barman to try it. And he was totally right, I loved it

And while there was all the spa services and pampering we love, everything was delivered in relaxed and creative ways, making me feel like I wasn’t in a hotel at all. That’s what really stood out. This is one of the world’s great hotels, but can fool you into thinking you’re at the home of a friend

Just outstanding. We’ll be back with family in November, happy to share the discovery

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Northbrook, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

There are about 50 employees to serve 11 suites that may house about 30 guests. We didn't meet all of the employees, but we were treated royally from the owner, Wilbert Das, to countless others: Marisio (GM), Carlos and Johnny (Concierge), Rafa and Hugo (sp?) (serving breakfast). We experienced two clear situations when the staff went above and beyond to help us out. The resort is not ON the beach. It is a 10-15 minute walk down that you have to go back UP to return. But, the beach is beautiful. UXUA maintains its own bar, lounges, and facilities on the beach. The "Quadrado" (the equivalent of a rectangle one block by three blocks) on which UXUA is located is peaceful with people dining outdoors each evening and a few horses lazily grazing. At one end is a white-washed church and at the other are daily markets for selling crafts. The UXUA suites were created with natural products with great imagination and no shortage of forethought. When you walk into UXUA you are surrounded by nature. Our "Tree House" suite was unparalleled in rustic luxury. A two bedroom suite we share with friends was equally well decorated in every detail and antique selection.

Room Tip: One night-Tree House 2nd & 3rd nights shared with friends-Two Bedroom Suite [Eugenia] Preferen...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at Uxua the 3rd week in November and I have to say it was one of (if not the most) incredible places we ever stayed. After a nightmare domestic flight experience involving extra flights and an additional half day of travel time, we arrived after dark and were greeted by Carlos-his enthusiasiasm and warmth immediately vanquished all stress as he showed us to our beautiful candlelit casa on the Quadrado. I actually had a tinge of sadness once we arrived and saw how amazingly perfect everything was because I knew we would have to leave!:) Our week was spent doing more activities than we normally do (horseback riding, a capoeira lesson, kayaking, cooking with Bernardo...), but we could not have felt more relaxed. Trancoso is a gorgeous, special place and Uxua embodies that beauty and uniqueness in an organic and respectful way. I could (but won't) spend days writing about all of the fantastic things about Uxua. The spectacular design and feel of Uxua are incredible, but, for us, the staff are really what made this place exceed our (high) expectations-they could not have been more pleasant, helpful and hospitable, always happy to make sure that we had everything we could possibly want or need and eager to share their love of Trancoso with personal recommendations for music, food and activities. The open and friendly tone that the owner has set for Uxua is reflected in his staff and he clearly leads by example-during a chat with the owner when we expressed our interest in construction, architecture and renovation, he offered to show us an almost completed (and AMAZING) casa with a rooftop deck that he designed using ceramics from local artisans. The casual tour just reinforced the laid back and friendly atmosphere of the entire place-I didn't feel like a guest at a resort (a word that I actually hate because it sounds so contrived)-I felt like a guest at the home of a friend of a friend of a friend (who has an amazing place and who wanted to ensure that we wanted for nothing)....although you do have to pay for it:) As to the food, we ate at a lot of good places in Trancoso, but Uxua was my favorite food by far. Normally, I do not revisit places frequently-there are just too many places to go, but all I can think of is how to get back to Trancoso and Uxua!

Room Tip: Stay in a casa on the Quadrado, especially if it is your first time in Trancoso-you won't regret...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wgz
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

We (myself, wife and our 7 year old daughter) stayed at Uxua for 5 nights in July 2013. Everything about Uxua is stunning. The location on the Quadrado is perfect since there are heaps of bars, cafes, restaurants and shops close by. The walk to the beach is a quick 10 or 15 mins where they have reserved seating for Uxua guests. The bar at the beach is wonderful as well. All in all Uxua is amazing on every level. Go there and you'll never want to leave! The saddest part of our trip to Brazil was leaving Uxua. We can't wait to go back soon!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sri2346
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

If you stay in Trancoso, stay here. Great location, beautiful bungalows/rooms. Carlos the concierge was brilliant. Breakfast was a feast and the restaurant first class.

Uxua was soooo relaxing and was one of the highlights of our trip to Brazil. It's a little pricey but go off-peak and it's so worth paying extra for this taste of luxury!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KiltedHaggis
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I never write reviews but I had to this time around - UXUA is utter escapism and I have not had such an amazing holiday experience in a long long time. The service and hospitality of the team was so genuine that you felt like you were part of the UXUA family. The surroundings made you feel you were in a tropical paradise which was made more spectacular with the careful detailing in everything around us and the overall - the rooms were just pure luxury with a calming feeling of space and zen. The location was great too as the hotel is located just on the main Quadrado and the beach only a few minutes away - everyone should visit Bahia once at least, and UXUA is one of it's hidden gems!

Room Tip: GULAB MAHAL is right on the Quadrado and is like your own 2 bed house - perfect for a group of peopl...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AVINASH W
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I usually never feel strong enough about a hotel to write a review but this one is a MUST! Simply magnificent. Very relaxing, calm, peaceful, zen and everything you need during a vacation. No words can describe this hotel; it’s a hidden gem in Trancoso! This was a girl’s trip with my mom and aunt so I was afraid it would be a secluded couples hotel. Not at all, we felt at home, other families with kids, young adults and of course honeymooners. We stayed in the "estudio" and loveddd the room! Its very spacious for 3 people, closet was huge, small kitchen with all the essentials, but the best part was by far the bathroom! Wow, its open-air double sink facing an exotic plant wall and a double shower where you can see the sky. Be ready to reconnect with nature all around! I absolutely recommend Uxua, and thank you to the staff for making this a unique and memorable experience!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family