“The best, simply unique! - vos vacances au top - Unico fantastico e indimenticabile”

UXUA Casa Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Trancoso
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was in Uxua a while ago and simply loved it.
Unique, beautiful, authentic: a real lifetime vacation experience.
Trancoso is by itself a very unique place, where time seems to have stopped, and life is so pleasant and authentic. A perfect balance between beautiful nature and yet alive and kicking night life, so that you can also get a chance to experience the beauty of meeting different and new people...
Uxua is built around the main square and around nature with such a unique and picturesque way, it will leave you breathless. Yet the service level is very high: professional, personal and very attentive.
On top of staying around at the beach and the local clubs, you can also experience many activities. I'd like to mention cycling your way up and then canoeing your way down along the local beautiful fresh water river and escalating Monte Pascal with its breathtaking view.
I'd like to add a final remark which you might believe or not: a trip to Trancoso and Uxua carries with it a strong mysterious mystique dimension. Many important things in life changed in better after this trip, many, and very significantly also. My friends unanimously told me: "it seems that this trip brought you luck!"

Room Tip: These are not just rooms but small to large private residences, all different from each other in siz...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The best place we have ever stayed in. We stayed in the Seu Joao suite which was very secluded and private. Very nice how you could open the wall in front of the bedroom facing the pool to merge indoors and outdoors during the day. That said, we spent most of the time at the beach. About 10 minutes walk down the hill to get there. The hotel beach bar had great food and made v nice cocktails (would say food was actually nicer here than in the hotel itself). Also went horse riding, which was fun though our two horses, docile at first, at one point started attacking each other. Bed had mosquito netting for the nights but did not see many. Nice staff in general. Got leaving presents which was a nice touch.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sakse_Joanna
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 3 April 2014

As our car service made the final turn and arrived at the back entrance of Uxua, my boyfriend and I were a little skeptical. It didn’t look like what we were expecting. We toured the grounds and we realized that this would take some getting used to. My boyfriend and I typically seek “nicer”, “luxury” hotels. At first glance this was a bit more rustic than we thought it would be. I started to doubt our choice to stay here --- would I be able to handle how exposed to nature this place was? Would I ever be able to shower in the tub having seen a fat black spider crawling outside of it – technically “outside” our room, but given that the wall to the bathroom was open to the outside at the time, what could really be considered in or out?

But we adjusted quite nicely the next day and this place quickly became very magical. By the end of our 5 nights it was hard to leave. We stayed in Seu Joao, which has a small private pool and a bedroom wall that slides entirely open to our outdoor pool deck during the day. Our “casa” really started to feel like home by the second day with its own little kitchen, large sofas, outdoor deck loungers, the babbling of our private pool, bossa nova playing from the stereo, and a large spacious sunken shower (yes, the same one with the spider that was eerily close by that first day) that was simply marvelous to shower in (the homemade soaps provided are excellent). I came to appreciate how almost everything was locally made and sourced and integrated beautifully with the natural surroundings.

Upon arrival, our private pool was a little cloudy and hadn’t been cleaned, but all it took was a phone call, and the issue was quickly resolved (daily housekeeping was fabulous, we never once ran into them, but somehow whenever we returned to our room later in the day, everything was clean with fresh new towels). The idea of having to use bug spray every evening and sleeping with mosquito netting took some getting used to, but soon added to the magical allure of this place – and you are essentially in the middle of the Atlantic tropical forest after all…

Carlos, Johnny and Lily were all great at helping us with all of our needs during our stay. Breakfast was really sumptuous. Each of the 5 days had different homemade items on the buffet. Aside from that, the kitchen churned out PERFECTLY cooked omelets. The breakfast staff was sweet and made sure that all our needs were met. The aventurine quartz pool is really spectacular and lovely. In my opinion, it’s underutilized by guests--- which to some degree is understandable since the beach is hard to leave --- but do try to make some time to use the pool. One evening at around 11.30pm, my boyfriend and I swam in the pool and we had it all to ourselves in total privacy as we gazed at the star lit sky.

And then there’s the beach…. Wow… it’s stunning. It’s quiet, it’s secluded. It’s simply beautiful. We never had a problem getting one of the comfy and plush sofabeds directly in front of the ocean. Beach service is really 5 star. They quickly remembered our names and our preferences and were always attentive and responsive. Drinks were delicious (their traditional caipirinha is really well made; I also recommend a drink which simply mixes cachaca, ice and passion fruit). Food was phenomenal and delicious – and I’m not just throwing around those adjectives. Most beach bar food is subpar, but this food is really special. We went to several “high-end” restaurants in Brazil that were many fold more expensive, and this place had some of the best food we had in Brazil --- it was all good --- the sesame crusted fish, the salt and pepper calamari, the honey garlic prawns with parsnip crisps, the croquettes… The only downside about the beach is the fact that it’s a good 10-15 minute walk from the hotel --- down a dingy little unpaved road (and it’s uphill on the way back). But that being said, it’s definitely worth the short trek.

The food at the hotel restaurant is better than anything you’ll find in town as well (including Los Negros, supposedly the best restaurant in town; although I will say that the casual sandwiches at La No Dom, right outside the Quardrado, are tasty) – they make wonderful Bahian classics. I highly recommend taking the cooking class to learn to make moqueca, a classic Bahian fish stew. The chefs, cooks and entire kitchen and restaurant staff should be commended.

We booked a 5 night spa package which included a daily massage as well as daily Ashtanga yoga class. The spa services are divine – amazing massages, body scrubs, etc. Better than most massages we’ve had back home in New York – and they use great natural ingredients including Almescar oil which has such a unique yet intoxicating masculine scent. Yoga was also really a great experience --- my boyfriend and I have limited experience with yoga, but the instructor is really top notch --- and what made it even better was that we were the only two in class --- so we essentially had private yoga sessions. The instructor was patient with us and we can both say we left with a better appreciation for yoga, and hope to build on what we learned there. We also tried one capoeira class --- we were a hot mess, but it was fun and an experience I’ll cherish. The best experience of the spa package, however, was the white clay lagoon trip. It’s such a unique experience --- you travel about 15 minutes by car to a secluded beach (this is MUCH more secluded than the beach at Uxua --- which is already pretty quiet). Then walk another 15 minutes or so along the beach until you get to a lagoon surrounded by cliffs. You slather white clay from the lagoon all over your body, let it dry and take a plunge in the ocean. We felt giddy like little kids doing this and our skin was amazingly supple by the end.

There were just a few small things that irked me about the spa package and left me feeling slightly disappointed. (1) The package stated that we would get a classic Brazilian hand and foot spa with mani/pedi, but we never ended up getting a manicure. We had booked a time to do the mani/pedi, but when we arrived, we were told we’d only be getting a pedi --- and it was fairly basic – I wouldn’t call it a “hand and foot spa” and the fact that we didn’t even get the manicure part was disappointing. (2) The package also stated that we would get a Bahian cacao facial treatment in addition to the daily massage treatments – but this never happened. We tried to book a time for the facial right after one of our daily massages, but they insisted on combining the “facial” with one of our daily massages. This turned out to mean that we had a 45 minute full body scrub with guava and coconut and as part of that they spent about 5 minutes also scrubbing our face with the same mixture --- it was certainly not a separate treatment and I certainly wouldn’t even consider that a facial – it was simply a 5 minute facial scrub! And of course, the cacao portion was totally missing. (3) And lastly, we were the ones that really had to be proactive about booking all of the parts of our package – if I hadn’t double checked everything that was included and proactively scheduled everything in advance, more things could have easily slipped by since the concierge takes a very lax, “go with the flow” attitude about scheduling things (which is great in terms of relaxing in this magical little place, but works against you if you need to take full advantage of everything that you’ve prepaid for in your package).

Despite those hiccups, our stay was lovely and I would highly recommend this hotel and our experiences there.

Take it all in. Be on the lookout for monkeys, lizards, hummingbirds and crabs. Enjoy the beautiful scenery. Stroll along the charming Quadrado in the evening. Be pampered with amazing spa services, fabulous food, and an accommodating staff (even though English is not spoken by all staff members, they try their hardest to make sure your needs are met). This place is truly magical and special and it’s a trip you won’t forget. Go!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ptn4
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Best thing first: the design and feeling of the resort is absolutely outstanding. Having travelled a lot it's fair to say this is a truly unique and really nice location (see pictures). Don't be fooled: the hotel is at the quadrado and has a separate beach club (=bar and sun beds) at the beach, approximately 15 minutes by foot. In terms of beach club, we prefer the Etnia Club de Mare beach club, which is much more private and offers umbrellas for some shade! We also had dinner in the hotel and the food was also very good. My wife had a massage, which she also liked very much. What we didn't like was the attitude of the staff (reception, pool, restaurant and beach club). Given this is a very high price hotel for Brazilian standards (starting at BRL 1,100 per room / night PLUS 10% service charge), the service was way too relaxed and we oftentimes had the impression that we were served by "buddies" or "surfer dudes". While we appreciate a relaxed atmosphere when we are on vacation, we also expect a certain level of professionalism when paying prices like this. Nevertheless, if you like design, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: Gloria is excellent (see pictures)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank senator_traveller
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This hotel was recommeded to us by our travel agent and it didn't disappoint. Upon arrival we were a bit nervous since it doesn't look like much from the outside, but once inside it was so beautiful. We absolutely loved this hotel and the staff here. We will be back for a week for sure. They also gave us a gift upon departure which was very sweet and memorable.

Pros:
Amazing staff! From the servers to the managers everyone is super helpful and friendly
Rooms - We stayed in estudio which was great. Located just steps from the pool on the lower level. We loved the indoor/outdoor aspects to the room. We were a bit nervous when Johnny said to leave the key in the door if we wanted service, but we didn't have any issues.
Pool - Stunning! We ended up poolside in the late afternoon for an hour or so which was nice to unwind from the day at the beach.
Beach - Loved that they reserved the front loung beds for guests of the hotel only. The guys at the beach were great. Food and drinks were outstanding! Note, it's about a 5-10 min walk to the beach from the hotel. The way home is it a bit uphill so save some energy.
Food / Drinks - Not a bad meal at this place. We loved it so much the first night we didnt bother eating anywhere else in town. We met some other guests who had tried local restaurants and said that Uxua was their favorite.
Quad: Great for hanging about at night, people watching, has local convenience stores, etc. Very quaint area that we really enjoyed.

Cons:
We didn't stay long enough!

Room Tip: I'm sure they are all beautiful
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holly620
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Somehow its hard to believe this place exists. Its ages since a hotel really surprised me and made my heart jump, and I still catch myself smiling at memories of this stay

So many details, everything authentic, local, organic, and inserted perfectly into a tropical environment. I just never got tired of absorbing the beauty of this place and Trancoso

And while uxua was clearly created by a designer with a very sophisticated eye, there’s none of the pretension of a design hotel. Actually its one of the friendliest places I’ve been in the last years. The staff has loads of personality, very Bahian, engaging and warm and seemingly thrilled to be hosting you. They have a perfect balance of discretion mixed with curiosity to meet and chat and share their enthusiasm for life in Trancoso. Against my lazy nature I actually took a few classes of capoeira, convinced by uxua’s barman to try it. And he was totally right, I loved it

And while there was all the spa services and pampering we love, everything was delivered in relaxed and creative ways, making me feel like I wasn’t in a hotel at all. That’s what really stood out. This is one of the world’s great hotels, but can fool you into thinking you’re at the home of a friend

Just outstanding. We’ll be back with family in November, happy to share the discovery

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Northbrook, IL
Reviewed 4 February 2014

There are about 50 employees to serve 11 suites that may house about 30 guests. We didn't meet all of the employees, but we were treated royally from the owner, Wilbert Das, to countless others: Marisio (GM), Carlos and Johnny (Concierge), Rafa and Hugo (sp?) (serving breakfast). We experienced two clear situations when the staff went above and beyond to help us out. The resort is not ON the beach. It is a 10-15 minute walk down that you have to go back UP to return. But, the beach is beautiful. UXUA maintains its own bar, lounges, and facilities on the beach. The "Quadrado" (the equivalent of a rectangle one block by three blocks) on which UXUA is located is peaceful with people dining outdoors each evening and a few horses lazily grazing. At one end is a white-washed church and at the other are daily markets for selling crafts. The UXUA suites were created with natural products with great imagination and no shortage of forethought. When you walk into UXUA you are surrounded by nature. Our "Tree House" suite was unparalleled in rustic luxury. A two bedroom suite we share with friends was equally well decorated in every detail and antique selection.

Room Tip: One night-Tree House 2nd & 3rd nights shared with friends-Two Bedroom Suite [Eugenia] Preferen...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple