“My favorite escape”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Trancoso
Vitoria
“My favorite escape”
Reviewed 30 March 2011

First of all, I must disclose: this is a biased comment. I am a returning guest at the Villas. Actually I come at least on an annual basis, with the whole family. If you like idyllic beaches with warm, clear water and outstanding accommodations and service you can’t go wrong: this is the perfect spot !
They have now just acquired a neighbor “pousada” and soon I believe this annex will also be “Galen Style” – as perfectionist as he is… New staff on the Beach Brigade has made service even better. Hope to be back soon !

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Paris, France
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed 5 nights in a Twin-room Villa Deluxe, which is very nice, totally convenient for a family of 5 (2 completely separated rooms, each one with a bathroom). The parents' room includes a large dressing, and a huge walk-in shower. Furniture is made of luxury exotic wood. Villa also includes a large living/TV room.
The garden is very beautiful, well maintained. You cross a little bridge and get onto the beach of absolute wilderness and beauty.
Food at the restaurant, both western and bahia style, is great. Breakfast buffet is complete and delicious. And the staff (reception, restaurant, beach) is very helpful, friendly and dedicated.
In total, we all (parents and the 3 children) loved it and came back full of great memories.
We will be back

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank French-family-75009
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I was looking for a place where I could completely decompress over a long weekend alone by the beach in the middle of a long LatAm business trip. The logistics of getting to Porto Alegre - the nearest commerical airport - were not ideal, but once I got to the hotel, all my worries vanished.

This place feels exactly like as if you were invited by a guest with a large beach-house compound of separate villas, with extremely helpful personal staff on hand at all times that weren't too intrusive. Trancoso is VERY laid back - a throwback to the Brazil of the 80s I remember - but the great accommodations, food and service are fantastic. Galen - the American owner of the hotel - was extremely welcoming and invited me as a solo traveler to join him and visiting family for drinks and dinner, yet never made me feel under any obligation to do anything but my own thing at all times.

There are all sorts of outdoor activites possible: kite surfing, riding, biking, surfing, golf etc. I didn't get a chance to do anything but relax in the sun and swim at deserted beaches, but I looked into the options as I am definitely planning to come back with my family. The property - with only six villas - feels like a home and would be anideal place to book for a family get-together or for a large group of friends.

The property is very attractive and the lighting is particularly well done
creating a beautiful atmosphere in the evenings.

The food was great as were the drinks... The menu was helpful but at the end of the day, they were happy to make anything if the ingredients were available.

Finally, after the prices in Rio and SP, the hotel - while not cheap - was great value for money and the ancillary charges for drinks, water, laundry etc. were not the egregious profit centers they are elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Hamburg
Reviewed 27 January 2011

This place is marvelous! Secluded, peaceful and very private. The staff is very friendly, helpful and caring. (Thank you Sheila for helping out so much :-))
Food is good, drinks are even better.
The beach is beautiful, for my taste sometimes a little too crowded, but that's just because I love empty beaches - even during daytime :-)
It's all you can wish for when you're looking for beach/sun vacations. So, go there as soon as you can and as long as "the tourists" haven't discovered Trancoso yet.
The reason why I gave it 4* instead of 5* is that in my opinion one can't compare Brazilian standards to e.g. Asian standards when it comes to 5 star-luxury resorts such as Aman.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kathfrei
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We stayed there for a week in January 2011.
First the pros: the place is great. Nice villas by the beautiful ocean, extremely friendly and helpful staff, good food & drinks, nothing to complain about. This place could be heaven!

Now the downside: the beach management could improve. First of all the guys operating the beach obviously love music and sometimes end up in a disco-competition with the guys from next door: whose music is louder?
But even worse (at least for me): the Trancoso Villas run an “open-beach-policy”. Outside guests who are willing to spend money on food & drinks are welcome – unfortunately they occupy the deck chairs too. On a bad day, you might be surrounded by a huge and noisy Brazilian family and no alternative sunbeds left for you. So if you love the Brazilian beach life (sometimes crowded, sometimes noisy), you can’t go wrong with this place: it’s the best in Trancoso anyway.
I have a different approach though: if I spend about $ 800,-- a night, I love to have two things: TRANQUILITY and EXCLUSIVITY! I pay to enjoy space and listen to the ocean and the wind in the palm trees. This is why we love places like the “Aman-Resorts” around the world or “Northern Island” – all of them sticking strictly to a “hotel guest only” policy.

Would I return or recommend this place to my friends? Yes, hoping that they change to a „hotel guests only“ policy or at least strictly limit the number of outside guests. It’s really a pitty as it is now.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tjacobi
HZPACO, Owner at Villas de Trancoso Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2011
We appreciate all guest feedback. We do maintain a strict policy regarding services to outside guests. A pre-reservation is required and reservations are accepted only when space allows and we can support our normal high levels of service. In this particular case an inappropriate outside guest and choice of music created a poor guest experience. We apologize for this situation and have taken further steps to ensure that guests are always made to feel special in every aspect of their stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2011

We spent five idyllic nights in the massive two storey luxury villa in this paradise property - where we had miles and miles of superb empty beaches practically to ourselves - wonderful food in the lovely little restaurant. The staff were just so friendly and informal - nothing was too much trouble. One of the managers even took me to the dentist when I had a toothache! we had such a lovely relaxing time - one of my favourite places I have ever stayed!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Magnificent place, fantastic people!!! every thing is perfect in this place!!! We booked 3 of the 5 villas and everybody loves it!!! The staff is incredible, the restaurant is one of the best in Trancoso and the privacy is amazing. We need to thank all there and we will return.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trancoso
Estrela D'Agua
Resort La Torre
Resort La Torre
#4 of 94 in Porto Seguro
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,880 reviews

Been to Villas de Trancoso Hotel? Share your experiences!