“Good food from immense menu”

Red Ox Seafood & Steakhouse
Ranked #15 of 378 Restaurants in Appleton
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Serving the Valley for over 40 years. Serving lunch & dinner 7 days a week. Gourmet Sandwiches, "Big" Salads, Baked Stuffed Potatoes, Aged Steaks, Seafood, Veal, Chicken, Ribs, Duck, Veal & More.
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Your first reaction upon entering the Red Ox is to wonder if you have just walked through a time machine and landed in a 1970's supper club. It definitely has the feel of a place that your parents (or grandparents) would be at home. Your next impression after seeing the menu is "Will I have time to read this?" The immense menu includes 14 different preparartions just for haddock! But, the Red Ox does the important things reasonably well. Our service was fantastic. Our friendly server was constantly checking to see what she could do to make our experience better. And the food was good and plentiful. We had a number of dishes at our table from meat to fish (yes, someone had the haddock). While no one was blown away by their meal, everyone enjoyed their dinner.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We just left after having an amazing birthday meal. The server was great and the food was awesome. The portions were huge. If you want dessert, eat it first. I will definitely recommend this to a friend. Tip: make a reservation, we did and were glad.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Excellent varied menu. Food is always good and service is wonderful. They even make me a dish they took off the menu. But they have a great menu with something for everyone.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

The Red Ox has been a favorite of my wife and myself for many years. The service is always excellent. The pouf a good drink. The menu has something for everyone. We always try to make the early bird time. That menu really is great and varied. We will keep this establishment on our short list.

1  Thank Wrigley48
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My friends and I wanted wild caught salmon and we found this place only 10 minutes from our hotel. It is in an older neighborhood of Appleton and the building is also older. The atmosphere is that of an older supper club. However, it is a nice, cozy place to enjoy a dinner and conversation.

The menu offers several versions of a variety of dinners. For example, there are three or four ways to order the salmon. I had mine with Dijon sauce. One of the best tasting salmon dinners that I have had since I had been in Seattle, WA. The baked salmon was perfectly cooked, flaky and presented well. I had twice-baked potato as a side and it was also excellent.

The price was slightly above other places that serves fresh wild-caught salmon but the extra cost was worth it.

The waitress was attentive without being intrusive.

1  Thank TimL255